ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Security (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/)
-   -   Get your RAC Trackstar checked (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/322516-get-your-rac-trackstar-checked.html)

BlackWrxScooby 26 April 2004 03:40 PM

Get your RAC Trackstar checked

Just phoned RAC Trackstar to ask them to change my contact details and while on I asked them to do a check to see if they could find my car, They can't find it and they think there may be a problem with the equipment in the car so there sending someone to look at it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was lead to believe they done regular checks to make sure everything was working ok but the girl said they only try to find your car when its reported stolen or the car thinks its being stolen.

If the car got stolen tonight they couldn't really send an engineer out to check the system if they can't find it!!!!!

Anyone with a RAC TRACKSTAR tracking system should ring 0808 100 999 1 and ask for a system check.

Catherine 26 April 2004 07:41 PM

We had a similar problem on the first weekend of ownership. We had ordered Trackstar Plus with the Speed Safe Option. When we found the Speed Safe option wasn't working we called Customer Services.

They tried to search for the car and couldn't find it they even asked if it was in a garage (I would have hoped that wouldn't have mattered).

Basically they went away and came back 10 minutes later and said your car is parked opposite XXXX hotel. They admitted Safe Speed wasn't working becuase it hadn't been set up, but assurred me the main unit was working.

subarujimmy 26 April 2004 08:14 PM

This may sound like a dumb question, but what is the safe-speed option?

Spoon 26 April 2004 08:57 PM

It appears this problem surfaces on the board too regularly for it's on good.

I'd be very interested to see just what the RAC would say if a car went missing and it wasn't detected whilst the customer was happily paying his/her subscription for a non-existent service.

subaru-impreza.org 26 April 2004 08:59 PM

Sounds worrying that :eek: ---

Gareth from http://www.subaru-impreza.org

Nixon 26 April 2004 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
This may sound like a dumb question, but what is the safe-speed option?

It'd a GPS speed camera and blackspot warning device which must back onto the GPS function of the Trackstar unit, at about £70 it looks like it may be worth the bucks as many other units are £400 +

subarujimmy 26 April 2004 10:12 PM

Cheers nixon :)
Does anyone know if this is available as an upgrade to an existing trackstar unit?

Nixon 26 April 2004 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
Cheers nixon :)
Does anyone know if this is available as an upgrade to an existing trackstar unit?

I think so, I hope to add it to my STi 7 which I pick up in a couple of weeks, but you'd be best to give them a buzz.

http://www.trackstar.com

Rasher 27 April 2004 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by BlackWrxScooby
Just phoned RAC Trackstar to ask them to change my contact details and while on I asked them to do a check to see if they could find my car, They can't find it and they think there may be a problem with the equipment in the car so there sending someone to look at it.

Has anyone else had this problem? I was lead to believe they done regular checks to make sure everything was working ok but the girl said they only try to find your car when its reported stolen or the car thinks its being stolen.

If the car got stolen tonight they couldn't really send an engineer out to check the system if they can't find it!!!!!

Anyone with a RAC TRACKSTAR tracking system should ring 0808 100 999 1 and ask for a system check.

Has anyone else had this problem?

yes had exactly the same thing happened to me, asked for a system check and they couldn't locate my car.
They sent an engineer out and the GPS part of the system was faulty, so they replaced it under warranty.
But if I hadn't of asked they wouldn't have notified me, because I asked them when was the last time they picked a signal up from my car, they replied 13th Feb over a month ago at the time of me asking for a systems check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scooby L 27 April 2004 10:07 AM

Looking at the RACTRACKSTAR.COM page it look like an annual subscription of £72, and it only works on the trackstar plus software.

*Sonic* 27 April 2004 11:23 AM

I phoned em up this morning, and they have told me to go and drive my car round the block as they cant locate it, and the unit has probably gone to sleep, and will 'awake' once the car is moved

I also checked some of the small print, and they DO NOT guarantee they can locate your car, due to the technologies being used, and they cant be held liable

Is this what I am paying a grand for ??

Emms 27 April 2004 11:39 AM

Interesting. My husband is with Navtrack (proactive) on his car and he had a similar problem, the only difference is they contacted him to let him know. Phoned him at work and told him an engineer was on his way to check. There was nothing wrong in the end but the service was spot on.

Neil W 27 April 2004 12:07 PM

I had Navtrack Proactive in my 01 WRX. It was a pain cos I had to deactivate it on every start up but this also meant it was easy to check if it was working OK.

I now have an STi8 and do not have as much confidence that it is working. I was told to ring RAC after each time the car had been into the garage for work as the unit could get damaged during servicing etc..

Think I will call them now to run a test!

Neil W 27 April 2004 02:57 PM

I have just called RAC for the second time today for a test and it took ages to get through.

When I finally got to speak to someone I was put on hold and then told there is no-one available to run a test and that they will do it as soon as possible and call me back. That is what they told me the first time I called, 4 hours ago.:mad:

Steve vRS 27 April 2004 03:24 PM

Bloody hell!!!!

Just called them and mine doesn't work either!

Steve

DaveR 27 April 2004 03:53 PM

Mine neither - anyone know how to contact Consumer Watchdog groups on this?

It's worse than pathetic - it's actually criminal in my opinion.... :mad:

Boyakasha 27 April 2004 04:10 PM

Let's all write to watch dog and tell them what a scam it is, money for nothing as far as I'm concerned. What happens if your car gets nicked and they find out the Tracker was never on, whose fault is that?

Steve vRS 27 April 2004 04:11 PM

Just left details with Watchdog.

Watch this space.....

Steve

Emms 27 April 2004 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Neil W
I had Navtrack Proactive in my 01 WRX. It was a pain cos I had to deactivate it on every start up but this also meant it was easy to check if it was working OK.

I now have an STi8 and do not have as much confidence that it is working. I was told to ring RAC after each time the car had been into the garage for work as the unit could get damaged during servicing etc..

Think I will call them now to run a test!

Navtrack now have an updated system that you do not have to deactivate physicaly, You just keep a credit card sized unit on your person thats it. Even if your card is stolen or you lose it your car can still be tracked.

p.s we don't work for Natrack...:)

John P 27 April 2004 05:18 PM

Quick question
How do you know that the install was ok. I only ask as I had system fitted at the same time as the alarm. A couple of years later had major problems with alarm and asked for the test to be performed at the same time. Was told it would cost me money and the best thing to do was put it on a trailer and drive it around and wait for the call.
Really losing my faith in fitters and not sure who to blame if the test fails?

Nevetas 27 April 2004 05:28 PM

Just rang them, she said she will start a test and call me back.... 5 minutes has now been 10....

Nevetas 27 April 2004 05:35 PM

OK she's just called back and has managed to track it perfectly. Thumbs up from me! :D

SirFozzalot 27 April 2004 05:36 PM

This is quite worrying!

Think I will give them a call to test mine too!

Steve vRS 27 April 2004 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by John P
Quick question
How do you know that the install was ok.

Because it was tested not long after the install.

Steve

BishopDevious 27 April 2004 05:57 PM

Super!

Great, I am having one fitted tommorow.:eek: Not the sort of thing I want to hear after spending nigh on 600 quid.

So far I have not been too impressed with RAC. They took my order and my money a couple of weeks ago. They wrote to me confirming that they had sent the unit to me. I even had their installiation dept phone me up three times to arrange fitting. Only trouble was they had run out of units a while bacl so hadn't really sent me a unit. Got it yesterday.

Anyone have more than one tracker fitted? My car currently has a tracker I want to see if that can be left operational as a backup to the RAC unit.

chrisbridge 27 April 2004 06:09 PM

If you have the safe speed option with rac trackstar and it keeps beeping every time you pass a speed camera, is it not safe to assume that the tracker is working also.
I ask because i am also thinking of having one fitted and this thread has me worried.
chris.

ande 27 April 2004 07:18 PM

I would always prefer Tracker Horizon, much easier to use.
And I haven't heard a bad word said about them.

Neil W 28 April 2004 10:47 AM

RAC called me back eventually yesterday and mine was tracked OK.

marklemac 28 April 2004 11:19 AM

Bloody hell, this is not good news is it.

I will be calling RAC this afternoon to get mine checked out :eek:

BlackWrxScooby 28 April 2004 01:01 PM

no engineer yet

Still waiting on a phone call fom the engineer to get it fixed, i'm up for the watchdog programe. £900 + £300 lifetime subscription. very poor.