ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Car warrenties? are they worth it. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/320132-car-warrenties-are-they-worth-it.html)

real_welshboy 18 April 2004 09:42 AM

Car warrenties? are they worth it.

I have prevously sold my sti 7 as the engine seized on it. I lost literally thousands as I couldnt afford at the time to repair it. I bought the car private so had no come back, it was only 6 weeks old. Im looking at getting another howver worried same might happen again. Are there any car warranty companies out there that cover everything, loss of engine, box etc.

Scooby-Monster 18 April 2004 01:29 PM

Gutting mate.

Out of interest, what was the reason for the fault?

Dan

real_welshboy 18 April 2004 01:51 PM

got no idea, it happened on my first fill of optimax with nitrox octane booster?? any advice on the waranties anyone?

greasemonkey 18 April 2004 02:02 PM

If you'd had the car six weeks, and the failure occurred on your first fill of Opti + Nitrox, what were you putting in the tank prior to the problem occurring?

real_welshboy 18 April 2004 02:05 PM

sul or optimax on its own, the car was missing like it was on 3 cylinders then on the drive down to the garage it just cut out. garage think the conrod went through the block. guttted

Ian D 18 April 2004 02:08 PM

Heard good things about Warranty-direct who I used on my Fiat Coupe (didn't have to claim though). Heard bad things about Warranty Holdings. Not exactly a comprehensive reply I'm afraid...

greasemonkey 18 April 2004 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by real_welshboy
sul or optimax on its own,

In your three years on the bbs, you'd never noticed comments about the need to run imports on (as near as possible) 100+ octane fuel? :confused: Did you, ahem, enjoy the car's performance over the first few weeks of ownership?

the car was missing like it was on 3 cylinders then on the drive down to the garage it just cut out. garage think the conrod went through the block. guttted
While it's certainly possible, that doesn't exactly sound the likeliest mode of failure. If it dropped down to three and you were then pootling down to the garage to get it checked over, odds on it suffering a failure of that violence would be pretty slim. Did they actually show you the hole in the block, or did you simply take their word for it?

In any case, as this car's now gone, the most important thing is to make sure you do everything possible to avoid a repeat if you do get another import.

real_welshboy 18 April 2004 04:47 PM

i took their word, they cranked the car over manually but then it totally stopped, the front wheels are totally locked too, back wheels turn fine.

CataIunya 18 April 2004 05:03 PM

Front wheels totally locked ? even with the clutch pressed?

real_welshboy 18 April 2004 05:29 PM

yep

rfowler 18 April 2004 05:34 PM

Are there Warranty's for import sports cars; if so i want my one done.

DanTheMan 18 April 2004 06:10 PM

I think Warranty Holdings which were owned by Ford have gone bust anyway.

Personally I'd say that the money you would save by not having a warranty would be better in the bank on the off chance that you "may" need it. I had a Warranty Holdings warranty for a few years, cost me way over a thousand quid and the list of things that were NOT covered was so big that I decided not to bother any more....

Its up to you, if you thrash the tits off your car and don't look after it then maybe a warranty would be a good thing, however if you look after it the a warranty could be a waste of money. Saying that though - even when you wrap the engine in cotton wool it could go pop, and then you may not be covered anyway - so its a lose lose situation.

suggs 18 April 2004 06:21 PM

got a warrenty with the AA £90 per year 3 claims upto a grand a time, dont no how good there be, but worth it for that sort of money, you have to be a member car has to be standered under 10yrs and under 100,000 miles all cars covered, not sure about imports thou.

H

APIDavid 18 April 2004 07:59 PM

Chris, I looked around the car and we can't fathom what's happened at the mo. Out of interest l'll post on here when I find out. Don't think it's thrown a rod as there's no oil everywhere. It seems to be in 2 gears so maybe the problem is gearbox - just guessing so we'll see when we look further.

Mechanical breakdown warranties are rubbish in the case of an imported car. We see many inspections before we rebuild customers engines and I could write the reports myself.

' Failure of lubrication or lack of oil causing mechanical failure through lack of maintenance.'

= is the usual wording.

David API

Save your money mate it's a total waste.

subaru-impreza.org 18 April 2004 08:01 PM

Real welshboy - where you from (and dont say wales :) )

I'm from Merthry - (well close) do you know it?

Also, currently own a 1999 turbo with a extended warrenty... AND i think its worth it!

Gareth
FROM http://www.subaru-impreza.org/ (Welsh owned :) )