ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Nine Below Zero (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/317716-nine-below-zero.html)

unclebuck 08 April 2004 10:01 PM

Nine Below Zero

Ok, house music is great, and I love it *but*...

When you you want to get deep down and dirty you can't beat some good old English rhythm & blues. I thought Dr Feelgood were the ultimate in 'Estuary Blues' - Eel Pie Island an' all that.

Recently though I discovered Nine Below Zero, and they have to be the best Rhythm and Blues band ever.:D

Anybody else heard of them?

UB:D

J4CKO 08 April 2004 10:14 PM

Werent they one of the acts on The Young Ones once ?

unclebuck 08 April 2004 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Werent they one of the acts on The Young Ones once ?

Yep, they sure were. That's how I found out about them. I saw a 'history of alternative comedy' documentary, and they were the band of choice for the Comic Strip gang.

UB:)

<Comic Strip fan>

J4CKO 08 April 2004 10:58 PM

VYVYAN: No, listen! We got a letter from the council! They're going to demolish the house tomorrow!

[Exaggerated dramatic music and lightning highlight the revelation, as the boys move their heads in close for effect. When the lightning and music stop, they all lean back again.]
MIKE: But I was going to turn it into an entertainment complex! This room's a roller disco! Hey! I'm depressed! It's Nine Below Zero!

[RICK glances at drawing room and registers surprise at what he sees.]
RICK: He's blummin' right, you know!

[NINE BELOW ZERO perform "Eleven Plus Eleven" in the drawing room. During the song, RICK and VYVYAN waggle their heads in time to the music while MIKE leans in his chair perfectly still.]

icebreaker 08 April 2004 11:03 PM

"Packed Fair And Square.' Need I say more?

Great band.

unclebuck 08 April 2004 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO
VYVYAN: No, listen! We got a letter from the council! They're going to demolish the house tomorrow!

[Exaggerated dramatic music and lightning highlight the revelation, as the boys move their heads in close for effect. When the lightning and music stop, they all lean back again.]
MIKE: But I was going to turn it into an entertainment complex! This room's a roller disco! Hey! I'm depressed! It's Nine Below Zero!

[RICK glances at drawing room and registers surprise at what he sees.]
RICK: He's blummin' right, you know!

[NINE BELOW ZERO perform "Eleven Plus Eleven" in the drawing room. During the song, RICK and VYVYAN waggle their heads in time to the music while MIKE leans in his chair perfectly still.]

That'll be it then..:D:D

Wots the link to the scripts?

UB:D

unclebuck 08 April 2004 11:22 PM

Cheers ice :)

UB;)

STi-Frenchie 09 April 2004 10:59 AM

Never really got into Nine Below Zero - too many punk bands around at the time grabbing my attention and always preferred Dr Feelgood ("Milk and Alcohol" - classic!) or John Mayall's Bluesbreakers if I wanted some r'n'b. Daddy of them all was a certain Mr Rory Gallagher, man could he lay down some wicked licks..."Walk on Hot Coals" is probably the best song I've ever heard.

icebreaker 10 April 2004 08:00 AM

Daddy of them all was a certain Mr Rory Gallagher, man could he lay down some wicked licks..."Walk on Hot Coals" is probably the best song I've ever heard.

Was listening to some of Rory's stuff just this week. Shadowplay (though not blues) is a greart track with jaw-dropping guitar work even after all these years.

George Thorogood kicks ass IMO.

andypugh2000 10 April 2004 09:25 AM

I remember nine below zero in the young ones, my favourite bit of all the band quotes was when neil had a severe snot problem and rik had gone up the chemist and neil says to Mike

"I hope rik hurry's back with the cure", mike replies "no neil it's madness this week"
sheer class :D