ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   anyone live near an asylum centre? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/317580-anyone-live-near-an-asylum-centre.html)

Goochie 08 April 2004 02:51 PM

anyone live near an asylum centre?

Sadly, our local council has lost it's high court battle to prevent the government building an Asylum seeker's unit about 8 miles from my house :(

From what I've read, the unit will house around 700 single men, 400 women and another few hundred families. These will have facilities on site to rival thosein the town itself and will also be bused to local towns to see the tourist sights of Oxford and the Cotswolds.

Now, I dont want to jump to the conclusion that they're going to try and escape as soon as they hear their application is refused ;) but I cant help wondering how many are going to disappear into the countryside.

Does anyone here live near an existing asylum camp??

misty 08 April 2004 02:57 PM

I work in an asylum!!!......................................... ...............A lunatic asylum!!!
dave

||VaNDaL|| 08 April 2004 03:12 PM

Get used to it pal... I live in an Asylum area, and Tone bLiar (not a spelling mistake) has been fiddling figures for years, so there are more here than u realise

Katana 08 April 2004 03:15 PM

Why build it in Oxfordshire? They should build it up North or something.

Dracoro 08 April 2004 03:18 PM

I understand people sentiments but ultimately isn't this just a case of 'not in my backyard'?

Personally think they should be secure units like in germany where once your application is OK'd you can go else you're deported.

Katana 08 April 2004 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dracoro
I understand people sentiments but ultimately isn't this just a case of 'not in my backyard'?

You got it pal. Oxfordshire is meant to be a "posh" place. Foreigners here are normally the ones that have a good income. Then you get the Kosovans who for some reason love harassing my girl as she's "Russian". These guys give foreign people a bad name.

V45DSM 08 April 2004 03:40 PM

London is one big asylum centre, isn't it?

Goochie 05 May 2004 05:00 PM

I think they should be housed on old cruise ships in the channel.

Petem95 05 May 2004 05:09 PM

Sadly, our local council has lost it's high court battle to prevent the government building an Asylum seeker's unit about 8 miles from my house
Unlucky mate, I hate to think what that'll do for house prices in the area. They should defo process them off-shore.

Butty 05 May 2004 05:25 PM

I'm about 8 miles from Yarleswood, Bedford.
Perhaps not the best one to mention when talking about trouble and escapees ;)
They still don't know who actually escaped as all the records went up in flames doh!

GaryK 05 May 2004 05:55 PM

yep i live a few miles from yarls wood, you know the one that was built using 100million pounds of taxpayers money, burned to the ground, detainees escaped and were never found, mind you wouldnt matter if they were, illegal or not you can stay, then cost to rebuild is something like £60million. That said I dont think it has made one jot of difference to house prices.

Gary

JoanUK300 05 May 2004 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Goochie
I think they should be housed on old cruise ships in the channel.

Shouldn`t say this but yes......I totally agree with you........and then it might sink;)

turboman786 05 May 2004 06:11 PM

yawwwwn....

tiggers 05 May 2004 06:15 PM

Oh an asylum seekers thread on SN - now there's a refreshing change :rolleyes:

M444GY 05 May 2004 08:08 PM

I LIVE IN ONE!

Petem95 05 May 2004 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by turboman
yawwwwn....

Originally Posted by tiggers
Oh an asylum seekers thread on SN - now there's a refreshing change

Its got to be said guys, its pretty obviously what the thread is about from the title, so why view it in the first place?!!

Next you'll be moaning that people are talking about Subaru's again!