ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   XBox modchip gurus (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/316883-xbox-modchip-gurus.html)

Mogsi 06 April 2004 10:01 AM

XBox modchip gurus

I am looking for a solderless chip that will still let me play on live..!

I have been on Xbox-scene and it is a minefield...?

Anybody offer any advice/suppliers etc etc..

Cheers

Mog

Neanderthal 06 April 2004 11:32 AM

Nuff said

BuRR 06 April 2004 11:41 AM

I have one of those that you can have for a tenner plus postage?

I chickened out of installing it in mine, and got some geezer to solder one in for me.

Mogsi 06 April 2004 01:01 PM

Schucks I ordered one earlier... !!

So now I'm modded. ( well nearly ) any tips on the 'must haves'.. !

Neanderthal 06 April 2004 01:48 PM

You'll want Slayers Auto Installer V2.5 Final
Can usually be downloaded via bit torrent/edonkey etc etc
That'll get you up and running. Are you fitting a bigger harddrive?

Mogsi 06 April 2004 02:12 PM

2main things that I wish to achieve really, I would like to have the games on the HDD ( so yes will probably upgrade the drive ) and the ability to play DivX/Movies etc..

Any advice greatly appreciated.... :D

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 02:23 PM

Slayers will do the trick then. It'll format your new drive and you can install XBMC/XBMP to playback your media files. Its a good tool, if you don't fancy doing it all the manual way, and a good way to get started. If you can't get a copy drop me a mail.

Mogsi 06 April 2004 02:28 PM

YHM

markwild 06 April 2004 02:31 PM

Mogsi - are you Broadband'd Up ?

You could always use xboxlink if you can't / don't want to go onto live - same function really, just uses your PC as a gateway.....

I never went the slayers route, but I did download it and salvage parts of the install - I'd second DJ's recommendations.....

Mark

Mogsi 06 April 2004 02:33 PM

Mark,

Yep I'm broadband'd up and do use live for PGR2, SCell2 etc etc... Kinda want to stick with live if possible... !

markwild 06 April 2004 02:38 PM

Oh - Didn't occur to me that you'd already got the xbox -(i.e. used it pre-chipped) DOH !

Oh well - Mine are all Executors, so no live for me ;)

Mark

Mogsi 06 April 2004 03:24 PM

Any good/bad things about using the EvoX dashboard..!

markwild 06 April 2004 03:30 PM

Not that I've noticed - I've configured 5 now and not really had any issues that I can think of - My lad sets up his own skins etc and he's only 12, so I don't think its too difficult to use.....

Only thing I'd recommend is switching off IGR using the setup menu, it still seems to work in game, but I had a few NTSC games that wouldn't work with the IGR set 'on'

Mark

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 03:34 PM

Its a bit limited IMO, but a good place to start. I prefer (and use) Avalaunch, especially in combination with Quix.

Take a look at their site, theres a good FAQ on there :)

http://www.teamavalaunch.com/qwix/im...nagetitles.jpg

EvolutionX certainly does the job and is stable, but there are features in Avalaunch that make it sooo much easier to work with.

Neanderthal 06 April 2004 03:36 PM

FIFA 2004 doesn't work with InGameReset set to ON as I found out after much aggro ;)

Dunk, I've had to move the PC downstairs due to decorating, now I'm within spitting distance of the Xbox I'm gonna try setting it up again! :D :o

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 03:39 PM

Aaah, so it wasn't the new bios stopping Fifa from working then ? Just IGR, doh ! :D

Avalaunch is worth a go and easy to remove if you don't like it :) But if you're transferring lots of files from your PC, I guarantee that you'll stick with it ;)

Mogsi 06 April 2004 03:43 PM

Hmmm I like the look of the Avalaunch interface :) Where would one get this from !!

All these questions, so little time ;)

markwild 06 April 2004 03:48 PM

DJ Dunk - what's the advantage of Avalaunch (You mention FTPs) - I always drive file transfers from my PC with FlashFXP ?

cheers,

Mark

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 03:49 PM

The pic that I posted is Quix (goes on your PC) btw ;)

You can get Avalaunch and much more here.

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by markwild
DJ Dunk - what's the advantage of Avalaunch (You mention FTPs) - I always drive file transfers from my PC with FlashFXP ?

cheers,

Mark

Well, using FTP (FlashFXP) I was getting pretty measly speeds transferring data over. Using Quix you can load up an ISO and transfer on the fly at 10,000kbps :) I did 27Gb in 45mins :D You can go the other way too (xbox -> xISO on PC).

Avalaunch has a built in file manager, a news ticker, better config options and info too. You can browse & download skins through Avalaunch as well as get the latest version straight from your Xbox :)

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 03:55 PM

. . . built in IRC too, if you're that way inclined :)

markwild 06 April 2004 03:55 PM

Hmm- might give it a go on one of my boxes, as a trial - I've 2 on 100Mb LAN, which give around 4000-5000Kbps, and one on 54g, which gives 800-1000kbps.....

I also have to unpack ISOs at the moment, so that would be an advantage....

Cheers,

Mark

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 03:56 PM

No probs, did I mention USB keyboard support too ? :D ;)

Mogsi 06 April 2004 04:08 PM

Is it possible to use Avalaunch straight from the word go or do you need EvoX installing first..!

sorry if that is a daft noobie question...

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 04:15 PM

You can use either Mogsi :)

Mogsi 06 April 2004 04:17 PM

Cheers Dunk..

One last question ( my head is starting to hurt ) I have ordered the Xecuter 2.3b lite.. will I need to update the bios on this prior to installing Avalaunch...

Mr.Cookie 06 April 2004 04:26 PM

My fifa 04 works fine with IGR ;)

DJ Dunk 06 April 2004 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mogsi
Cheers Dunk..

One last question ( my head is starting to hurt ) I have ordered the Xecuter 2.3b lite.. will I need to update the bios on this prior to installing Avalaunch...

Well, its illegal to use anything other than the supplied Cromwell bios, but . . . ;) ;)

markwild 06 April 2004 06:56 PM

My executers all came with the right stuff.... ;) :D

Welloilbeefhooked 06 April 2004 09:22 PM

My Executer did not come with anything other than the crombwell bios.

Are you sorted with this or do you need any help, wink, wink.

I use EVOX with DVD2XBOX, XBMC for DivX and the rest. Cant play DVD movies though? hmm?