ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Race Driver 2 (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/316506-race-driver-2-a.html)

chrisowe 04 April 2004 10:20 PM

Race Driver 2

I've just downloaded and been playing the new demo of Race driver 2 from Codemasters.

The graphics are superb, the reflections on the cars are so :cool:

Its a bit difficult playing it with just the keyboard especially with the E-type Jag. :)

The finished game will have a Bowler Rallycross series and UK Rallycross, no British Touring cars though :(

n one 05 April 2004 11:01 AM

When is it available to buy?

Neanderthal 05 April 2004 11:49 AM

23rd April :)
Looks good, a bit more realistic than the last one. Hopefully they've got rid of the sh1te "story" mode that plagued the 1st one!

Jeff Wiltshire 05 April 2004 04:41 PM

It's a shame that they can't actually do a 'decent' Brands Hatch....It doesn't look like the way they have it, nor does it drive like that either. They still look like they are using the circuit off TOCA.

jono300 05 April 2004 05:20 PM

Anyone know if my local circuit " knockhill " here in fife, scotland will be a featured track ?? was featured in toca2 but not sure if this new title will have it ??

cheers,
john...

Ballistic 05 April 2004 07:13 PM

I've been playing this demo over the last few days and agree it looks very good, and Codemasters also seem to resolved the aweful steering issues with the first game.
The sound appears much better and I like the way the engine revs blip when changing down. And driving the E-type is great fun.
The one new feature that takes some getting used to is with the DTM cars when braking into a corner the game sudenly seems to speed up making it difficult to judge your braking distance. Anyone else noticed this?

CrisPDuk 05 April 2004 07:19 PM

If it's like the rest of the TOCA series, the brakes will be sh1te. In the last one even the DTM cars - which in reality have ABS - locked up when you braked. I shall be renting this one first, to make sure it doesn't end up gathering dust like it's predecessor.

Now if you could combine Race Driver's quality of racing, & the damage, with Gran Turismo's graphics & driveability, THEN you're onto a winner:D

Dream Weaver 06 April 2004 10:05 AM

I think its crap - played it last night, and its still as crap as RD1. The handling is very unreal, brakes are crap, you can chuck it round bends like a dodgem, and the graphics are just OK.

That shining on the body looks too fake. Sorry, but Codies cannot make decent circuit racing games.

kernel 06 April 2004 01:04 PM

I tried it last night as well, couldn't get into any options to use the steering wheel to drive with so uninstalled it.

n one 06 April 2004 01:26 PM

Mmm..put me off rushing out & buying it, thanks, just like CrisPDuk I`ll rent it first.

carl 06 April 2004 02:30 PM

It's OK. But I don't think the Commodore really revs to 8k+ rpm :eek:
Saw some on-board stuff at Bathurst, and the Commodores weren't going much over 5000 rpm except in top gear.

chrisowe 06 April 2004 07:35 PM

The car graphics on my computer DO look good (P42.6, GF5900) in my opinion, more realistic than GT3.

I finally figured out how to access the controller options through driver setup, not tried it with a steering wheel though.

As regards the handling of the cars I think Codemasters have made the game more arcadey since the original TOCA because to make it easier, perhaps too easy.

I guess though if you want to play a game that has British circuits like Brands Hatch what other choice is there ? I suppose you could save money and buy TOCA 2 for a fiver on budget.