ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Epson printer parts/advice wanted (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/316179-epson-printer-parts-advice-wanted.html)

hutton_d 03 April 2004 03:24 PM

Epson printer parts/advice wanted

Hi,

Well the old printer has finally clogged its last print head ... no amount of 'head cleaning' etc would clear it so out came the screwdriver and now the printhead is well and truly f&%ked ... Anyhow, before I lash out on a new printer is there anyone out there with an Epson Stylus Photo 895 that they are throwing out but that has a good print head?

Or anyone know where to get cheap spares? And I realise that 'cheap' and 'inkjet spares' is a bit of an oxymoron .....

Cheers

Dave

krazy 03 April 2004 05:26 PM

is it knackered cos u took it apart or just clogged? the ink jet cleaning fluid u can get seems to work ok if u soak it in it for a while/and or fill cartridge with it.

sti555 03 April 2004 05:42 PM

In my experiance with Inkjets it's normally significantly cheaper to buy new than replace/repair.. :( It's a throwaway society

hutton_d 03 April 2004 06:26 PM

Krazy - it was well and truly clogged but now I took it apart it's knackered ... :-(

Sti555 - yeah I know. But it wasn't cheap when the gf (now wife) bought it for me so it would be *better all round* (if you get my drift!) if I could fix it. Which is why I was asking if anyobe knew of *cheap* parts .....

I'll have to look at new ones just in case ...

Cheers

Dave

sti555 03 April 2004 06:59 PM

Dave,

I started buying injets at work when cartridges ran out.. about 6 months ago

Epson C82 New £42 with 4 cartridges (full size)
4 cartridges OEM £46!

Mad, do a google for epson service centres & contact em for parts to keep the mrs happy :D

Or just buy a new un & use the excuse parts no longer available etc

:D

class_A 04 April 2004 09:44 AM

Bin it and buy a new one. If the printer is only in occasional use, I would avoid another Epson. They tend to clog heads when not used regularly (well the 3 that my family have had through the years have done this).

I'd look at HP - the ink is more expensive but the print head is on the cartridge. I'll be looking at HP when I replace my Stylus Color 880 in a few months time.

If you only print black and white, why not look at a cheap 2nd hand laser? I picked up a HP LaserJet 4 with a JetDirect network card and two full toners for next to nothing. Built in 1994 and still going strong, it's a tank of a printer!

hutton_d 06 April 2004 10:23 PM

Eeeek! Finally talked to an 'Epson Service Centre' ... 75 squid for a new print head ....... I think it will be a laser (maybe 2nd hand ) for B&W and a cheap inkjet for colour ..... Oh well, it's only money .....

Dave