ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Largest disc thickness on Subaru 4 pots?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/315648-largest-disc-thickness-on-subaru-4-pots.html)

blacky555uk 01 April 2004 04:49 PM

Largest disc thickness on Subaru 4 pots??

Looking into making my own custom kit with Scooby 4 pots...whats the thickest discs that will fit without modifying the callipers??

Any help appriciated:)

Cheers

blacky

Welloilbeefhooked 01 April 2004 07:55 PM

I'm thinking that measuring the space would help, but that depends if you already have a calliper available. Then factor in how thick the pad material and backing plates will be. I would imagine there are different thicknesses of pads available.

Making a spacer to accommodate wider discs would be easy. The ones from Godspeed would only take 20 mins for me to make a one off set, but you would need to be careful of pushing the calliper out to far towards the wheel.

I suppose this introduces costs of the longer bolts, seals and whether or not your customers will want to strip their callipers.

Are you just going wider or larger in diameter also?

blacky555uk 01 April 2004 08:42 PM

Hi mate

I don't have any 4 pots yet...just looking into it,was gonna go max width of the calipers and do larger diameter...got a mate who machines stuff for F1 and WRC who can knock me up some spacing brackets and Bells.

If making the caliper wider is easy then I might look into this also.....

Cheers for the reply

Logan

Welloilbeefhooked 01 April 2004 09:05 PM

I can measure what mine are now including the spacer and give you dimensions for with spacer and without if that helps? Can measure up tomorrow if you like.

blacky555uk 02 April 2004 06:51 AM

That would be really helpful if you could please?

Cheers

Logan

Welloilbeefhooked 02 April 2004 07:58 PM

If I wasnt so dumb I would have remembered to measure up after I put the wheels back on. Will post tomorrow morn with the figures mate!!

blacky555uk 02 April 2004 09:32 PM

Okay..no probs mate:)

Welloilbeefhooked 03 April 2004 01:06 PM

Right then, measured up and here are the results:

Gap between calliper faces (Calliper is cleaned back to new metal) is 60mm for a standard 4 pot Subaru Calliper. There is a further recess in the calliper where the pistons sit back into, but the above figure is the working area that will accept pads and discs.

The spacer I am using with my Godspeed kit is 6mm (so 66mm working area) and helps to clear the 32mm discs used.

To stop the calliper from making contact with the wheel there is an extra 2mm thickness on the alloy bell used over what is found on the standard Subaru disc. This will reduce the stud length, but mine have been fine so far.

The Mintex pads I have fitted are now 15mm thick including material and backing plate, but I woul imagine 1 or 2mm has already been used since I fitted them.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you come up with or if you need any help.

blacky555uk 03 April 2004 06:43 PM

Cheers for that info...much appriciated:)