ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Chernobyll 18 years on (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/315344-chernobyll-18-years-on.html)

dome 31 March 2004 03:29 PM

Chernobyll 18 years on

This makes interestin reading...

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/

Freak 31 March 2004 04:00 PM

Q) Why should you never buy russian jeans....

A) because Chernobyl fall out.....

ill get my coat....

All seriousness though- interesting site.

StickyMicky 31 March 2004 04:04 PM

good page

CrisPDuk 31 March 2004 04:09 PM

Feck:eek::eek:

Freak 31 March 2004 04:10 PM

haunting images on there.

Harry_Boy 31 March 2004 04:34 PM

Makes me think more than ever that, whatever the advantages, nuclear power just ain't worth the risks.....

Reffro 31 March 2004 04:35 PM

WOW!!

Leslie 31 March 2004 05:01 PM

Fascinating account, thanks for posting it.

Les

Adrian F 31 March 2004 06:38 PM

Strange how these links go round this was up on Sub Brit about 4 weeks ago.

Made me think to see all that kit just abandoned

V45DSM 31 March 2004 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Makes me think more than ever that, whatever the advantages, nuclear power just ain't worth the risks.....

Fcuk off! I suggest you read up a little more on the subject of why Chernobyl went critical, ya daft tree hugging cnut. If it were down to people like you we'd all still be scrawling pictures of animals on cave walls using our own faeces.

midget1500 31 March 2004 07:40 PM

pmsl :)

Scoob99 31 March 2004 08:28 PM

Very intresting.......Thanks:eek:

what would scooby do 31 March 2004 08:46 PM

I'm sure those pictures are actually of Bedford.. :D

Steve Whitehorn 31 March 2004 09:03 PM

Thanks for posting
Interesting stuff
Steve

DaveMiddleton 31 March 2004 09:08 PM

Really fascinating. I go quite often to Kiev and have debated getting a guided tour of the Chernobyl site and surroundings (organised). Kiev itself is a very beautiful city with wonderful women!

mj 31 March 2004 09:19 PM

........and chickens that have breasts filled with garlic butter :)

Markus 31 March 2004 09:31 PM

Saw her page as it was mentioned on slashdot the other day. Very interesting read.

fromage 31 March 2004 09:36 PM

great site thanks, really scary stuff

Big C 31 March 2004 09:53 PM

:eek: :eek: good post mate!

ScoobyDoo555 01 April 2004 08:13 AM

OMFG :(

Cetainly makes you think..... The pictures of the creche won't leave my mind for a very long time :(

Ironically, I presume the guys who pushed the button is out of prison now......

Agreed though - Nuclear Power is deffo the way forward. It's just a shame that the dangers are just as potent as the advantages.......

Dan

Leslie 02 April 2004 11:29 AM

One day in the distant future they will have to start digging coal out of the ground again. They may have to use scrubbers etc to get rid of the greenhouse gases etc though.

Les :rolleyes:

SiPie 02 April 2004 01:07 PM

Very interesting reading dome

Thanks for posting

Chris L 02 April 2004 01:55 PM

Good site - an amazing journey. It would make a good documentry if anyone fancied going back and filming it.

Chris

s-man 02 April 2004 02:20 PM

Yup cheers for putting that up Dome...compelling stuff

Shropshire-Guy 08 April 2004 06:45 PM

Btt for Mr Bunce

Nick 08 April 2004 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy

More exactly, turning off the cooling systems, turning off the emergency override, disabling all failsafe systems - to see what would happen, isn't worth the risks!

hoskib 08 April 2004 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nick
More exactly, turning off the cooling systems, turning off the emergency override, disabling all failsafe systems - to see what would happen, isn't worth the risks!

is that really what happened:eek: christ, bet he was popular.

top site, really compelling reading.

chrisowe 08 April 2004 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
I'm sure those pictures are actually of Bedford..

lol

Johnny50 08 April 2004 08:40 PM

Really makes you think seeing all that. :( Very grim.

hades 08 April 2004 11:31 PM

Pictures do bring home the human factors of the tragedy.

There's a little bit more to the cause of the original incident than the comments on that site - or here - fully tell. Lack of understanding of Xenon poisoning - especially when trying to restart a reactor much too quickly, positive reactivity coefficients, and poor control rod design were also contributing factors. The disabling of 6 (IIRC the numbers correctly) different safety systems, in a chain of events subsequent to the original tests was the thing that set it off, but putting any one of the other factors right would also have prevented the disaster.

Think it is fair to say that the person who pressed the button was not truly the guilty party, as I don't believe in any way it was an informed decision made with free will. It might be interesting to learn what happened to the people who gave the orders (who may well have been far away from the effects).

There are a very large number of design factors which prevent that kind of event occuring in UK reactors (although these factors vary from Magnox to AGR to PWR, which are the three reactor types in the UK). It would have been almost impossible with the Russian reactors, but if you override all the in built safety systems, and keep doing things they aren't designed to do, you can break anything.

There are one or two technical inaccuracies in the site, but I guess there may have been something lost in the translation. That's not a criticism - the message is not effected, and I know I couldn't get close to explaining nuclear physics in any foreign language.