ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Do you have to remove the calipers to . (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/314556-do-you-have-to-remove-the-calipers-to.html)

pslewis 28 March 2004 09:47 PM

Do you have to remove the calipers to .

.................... change the pads?

I apologise for the stupid question but I have forgotten how to change the pads ... MY00 classic Turbo ... Front 4 pot vented - Rear single pot vented

Also, when places online quote a price for discs (Say, £115) I assume that is for a PAIR? The same way as pad prices are for 4?

I know its easy to change over the discs - 2 x 17mm bolts ... but are pads even easier?

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Fat Boy 28 March 2004 10:12 PM

No
Yes
Yes

beamer 28 March 2004 10:13 PM

NO
maybe
yes

beamer 28 March 2004 10:20 PM

Some places do charge per disc you will just have to clarify this on ordering:rolleyes:
seems silly because you always replace in pairs.
Just had a mate change the front pads for me and it was only a matter of removing 2 pins, took longer to take the wheels off!

*Sonic* 28 March 2004 10:21 PM

NO
Not Always
Yes

pslewis 28 March 2004 10:34 PM

Thank

You

Ever

So

Much

Any diagrams/instructions on a site somewhere?

If I have to remove 2 pins I take it these are not floating calipers then??

:) Pete :)

Fat Boy 28 March 2004 10:45 PM

Glad
to
be
of
help.;)

Only real issue with changing pads is if the old ones are really worn you may have to force the pistons back in with a special tool / flat screwdriver wrapped in cloth to be able to get the new ones in. You need to check the fluid level as, if the reservoir was right to the top on the old, it may overflow with new pads in - cap off and lots of rags around it , plus a beady eye on it.

Just pins as was said above - there is a guide on ravensblade.com (IIRC) - someone will have the url

*Sonic* 29 March 2004 06:54 AM

Ravensblade doesnt show the front pads, only the rears, which are different (slightly) and they also tell you to remove the callipers, which isnt necessary

On the back of the Callipers there is a metal clip, connecting the two pins, this clip needs to be removed, then pull the two pins out, and lift out your pads, push your pistons back in, insert new pads, insert pins, insert clip

Then go bed them in :)

RON 29 March 2004 08:28 PM

I normally use a screwdriver on the old pad to push the pistone back in, the old pads are junk afterall!!

pslewis 29 March 2004 10:19 PM

Thats a neat idea RON!

Thanks!

Anyone any sites that show the job being done on the front brakes?

Pete

bartmanuk 30 March 2004 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Thats a neat idea RON!

Thanks!

Anyone any sites that show the job being done on the front brakes?

Pete

have a look here pete,i done my rear discs and pads last w/end after lookin at this site www.ravensblade-impreza

pslewis 30 March 2004 09:36 PM

Yes, thanks - they only show the rear change however

Pete