ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Internet Explorer Keeps Freezing (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/314517-internet-explorer-keeps-freezing.html)

Terzo 333 28 March 2004 08:08 PM

Internet Explorer Keeps Freezing

This has happened before not so long ago, and this was due to me having a virus. I have ran an anti virus program which has found 6 viruses.

I have got the deleted the files that had viruses but this hasn't worked. Every time I click on a different web page it freezes for about 10 seconds, which is very annoying !

Do I need to do more than delete the infected files ?

The website I did a (free) virus check on was www.mccafee.com

I'd be very grateful for any help...

Matt

lightning101 28 March 2004 09:16 PM

You should really have a full time virus checker/blocker/e-mail scanner, combined with a good firewall (hardware or software).

Try Zonealarm - the free version is pretty good as long as you don't want to mess with in depth settings - if so get full license.

And a good free virus checker with up to date definitions.

As soon as you connect to your ISP without a firewall, you have open ports, allowing viruses/trojans/spyware/adware etc through.

Nicks VR4 28 March 2004 10:16 PM

You should also get Ad-aware and spybot go to download.com its free
But make sure you get updates on spybot
Both get rid of ad-ware files that might be causing you problems

And as above get a good firewall and AV

Corgi 28 March 2004 10:53 PM

Agree with what has been said except ZoneAlarm, some viruses can turn ZoneAlarm off.....try Sygate Personal Firewall which is free.

Also go to microsoft.com and check if your system needs updating.

wheelie_sti 28 March 2004 11:48 PM

Install mozilla firefox and try the same sites mate, does it still freeze?
If it does you may be looking at some corrupted system files.
As far as firewalls go, the best Ive used is ATGUARD.
If you want it and are on broadband, send me a personal message and ill arrange soething with you.

Pete

Terzo 333 29 March 2004 06:36 PM

Thanks for the replies...I've downloaded zonealarm and mozilla firefox - when I use the internet using firefox it doesn't freeze, but if I use internet explorer it does :confused:

Does firefox have a virus killer program I can run ? I can't find it anywhere !

Many thanks

Matt

orbv 29 March 2004 06:56 PM

Also worth deleteing all your cookies and cache as this can cause ie to freeze as it looks up details

Terzo 333 29 March 2004 07:03 PM

Orbv,

How do I delete my cookies and cache ? Is there anything I should do before I do this ?

thanks

bioforger 30 March 2004 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
Orbv,

How do I delete my cookies and cache ? Is there anything I should do before I do this ?

thanks

Tools/Internet Options

Under Temporary Internet Files, click Delete files, also check 'all offline content' click OK.

Then click Settings/View Files, Select ALL, and delete em.

Click OK out of the menus.

Close and reopen IE.

You dont need to do anything beforehand.

Check windows update for any IE Service packs u might not have.

Terzo 333 31 March 2004 08:45 PM

All sorted now - I went to microsoft.com and downloaded a newer version of Internet Explorer. Many thanks for everyone's help :)