ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   New Golf - 140bhp GT TDi? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/313793-new-golf-140bhp-gt-tdi.html)

andym172 26 March 2004 01:47 AM

New Golf - 140bhp GT TDi?

After a bit of phoning around today I've been offered a new mk5, 5 door, 2 litre 140bhp GT TDi with metallic paint for £17,500.

Given that the mk 5 is only a couple of weeks old, and the asking price is £18,530 + £300 for metallic paint do you see this as a good deal?

Anybody driven one yet, if so, what are your thoughts on the car?

I need to get hold of one within the next week or so, so although there are internet sites that can beat this price by a few hundred quid, they're stating 10 week delivery times...

Also, the car is going to be used by quite a few people - it'll almost be like a business 'pool' car. What's the best and most cost effective way of insuring it?

Thanks!

Andy.

NACRO 26 March 2004 08:11 AM

The reason they have started discounting them is that they aren't a very good car.

I test drove one (2.0fsi not the diesel)and thought it a backward step from the old MKIV. Build quality was worse, engine needed thrashing and there have been some disturbing reports of reliablility problems already.

Can't comment on the diesel other than the fact it's gained capacity and dropped in BHP.

Why did VW do this I wonder. Still it probably won't make much difference, people will just go and slavishly buy them.

If I was you I'd get the higher output engine Focus TDCi.

Tiggs 26 March 2004 08:41 AM

my brother just got a brand new cupra 150 tdi for 14,500 inc a few xtas.....far better deal, you could spend 3k on extras and still come in under the golf!

Dapster 26 March 2004 08:58 AM

Car Mag this month thought that the new Astra was the one to go for in the class - better to drive than the Focus and as well, if not better put together than the Golf. Depreciation will be free fall city though I'd imagine.

Does it have to be new? I'd go for a Mk 4 150 tdi if I were you - nicely run in and the "how much do you give me off the screen price as it's no longer the latest model" bargaining lever on your side?

wheelwright 26 March 2004 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dapster
Does it have to be new? I'd go for a Mk 4 150 tdi if I were you - nicely run in and the "how much do you give me off the screen price as it's no longer the latest model" bargaining lever on your side?

I'll second what Dapster said.

matlow 26 March 2004 04:15 PM

Tiggs, where did your brother get the Leon from, if you dont mind me asking??

Dracoro 26 March 2004 04:24 PM

Top Gear (I think) tested the new golf and astra back to back all across europe. All in all a 10,000 mile test!!

As to which was better, they had a job deciding. golf better for long journeys/motorways, astra a bit more fun and involving.

They did sum it up though at the end of the 10,000 miles. The golf felt like it was still brand new. The astra felt the miles a little. Personally prefer the Leon these days but in the past I was a bit of a VW guy (owned a Mk1, Mk2 16V, Corrado, dad had 2 passats) but I've moved on now. The VW 'brand' is now too much about image than the abilities of the cars (however good) and the pricing to match.

BLACK V5 26 March 2004 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by NACRO
The reason they have started discounting them is that they aren't a very good car.

I test drove one (2.0fsi not the diesel)and thought it a backward step from the old MKIV. Build quality was worse, engine needed thrashing and there have been some disturbing reports of reliablility problems already.

Can't comment on the diesel other than the fact it's gained capacity and dropped in BHP.

Why did VW do this I wonder. Still it probably won't make much difference, people will just go and slavishly buy them.

If I was you I'd get the higher output engine Focus TDCi.

Since when has the focus been more tha 140bhp?

Harry_Boy 26 March 2004 04:26 PM

Noticed that Showroom4cars.com is offering new Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140PS 5 door imports for £15695 on the road.

Butkus 26 March 2004 04:32 PM

What about the A3? I think it's a really nice looking car. The new Golf is horrible - it looks so bland.

A3 is a bit more expensive though I suppose.

Harry_Boy 26 March 2004 04:45 PM

Not much saving on an A3 at the mo, I believe. Eg A3 1.6 FSI £14,695.

Stuart Knight 26 March 2004 05:51 PM

www.drivethedeal.com are quoting the Golf at £17120 with metallic paint, from UK dealers, delivered, on the road

andym172 26 March 2004 06:44 PM

Went to see the new Golf. Sadly I just didn't like it - didn't even bother to take a drive. Too Honda Civic/Pug 307 for my liking! :(

And so I did a deal on a new mk4 130bhp GT TDi - a bargain at £14,750 :)

Pretty happy with that... :)

Dapster 26 March 2004 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dapster

Ayyyy- thank yooo...

Harry_Boy 26 March 2004 07:29 PM

Only a grand more for a Mark 5 140ps seems an OK deal to me.

drb5 26 March 2004 08:15 PM

i take it i'm wrong then when i thought i seen a 2.5 tdi golf the other day?:confused:

youngun 27 March 2004 12:15 AM

hi all,

ive got a 1.8 TDCi focus 5 door (115ps variety) and when testing cars I had a go in 130 bhp vag cars, namely the fabia VRS and the ibiza sport.... if im honest the focus felt quicker, more refined, was definately quieter and to top it off felt 100% better on the road.... go for a test drive in one :)

NACRO 27 March 2004 07:15 AM

quote: "Since when has the focus been more tha 140bhp"

It isn't and I didn't say it had, you just read it that way. I meant the higher output diesel Focus ie there is a lower and higher power model of the same car, the focus.

That being the case I suggest you STFU and stop trying to pick holes you muppet.

bartmanuk 27 March 2004 08:44 AM

It isn't and I didn't say it had, you just read it that way. I meant the higher output diesel Focus ie there is a lower and higher power model of the same car, the focus.

That being the case I suggest you STFU and stop trying to pick holes you muppet.

LMFAO nicley put NACRO

BM

BLACK V5 27 March 2004 11:04 AM

Rather be a muppet than an arrogant insulting TW*T

NACRO 27 March 2004 11:36 AM

Unfortunately you fit in to both categories :D

andym172 27 March 2004 12:01 PM

Now now ladies!

Don't want any of that on my thread! ;)

Dapster 28 March 2004 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by drb5
i take it i'm wrong then when i thought i seen a 2.5 tdi golf the other day?:confused:

Not if it was standard. VW Group do a 2.5 tdi V6 for Audi but not the VW/Seat/Skoda range.

Harry_Boy 28 March 2004 04:45 PM

Hi Dapster - doesn't the Skoda Superb have the option of the 2.5 V6 TDi? And the Passat.... And the Touareg....

Dapster 28 March 2004 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Hi Dapster - doesn't the Skoda Superb have the option of the 2.5 V6 TDi? And the Passat.... And the Touareg....

Er, well Harry Boy - what you failed to do was press your mouse against your forehead and thus read my mind... What I meant to say was "Not in the Golf derived versions..." of the VW/Skoda/SEAT range!

I stand corrected!

Harry_Boy 28 March 2004 07:32 PM

No worries Dapster - I had to mentally scan the whole VAG range to come up with the answer myself... :D

^Qwerty^ 28 March 2004 09:14 PM

GOLF MK 5 -2.0 GTI TDI 140 5 DOOR NEW MODEL 2004
-£2500 Saving. Phone for spec £15994

At Motor Provider (Sheffield). They are only details on website, so don't know if there are any hidden extra's.

Roblad 29 March 2004 10:19 PM

For what its worth;

I am currently driving a 150BHP Mk1V Golf GTI as a company car.

I wish I had not bothered.

To call it a GTI is an insult - the car handles like a blamange / Jelly!!

Its not too bad in a straight line - but is so "refined" you may as well be driving a simulator.

Sorry.......Not Impressed :(

more softmint than fishermans friend !!!

bluto22b 31 March 2004 07:51 PM

Quote "Rather be a muppet than an arrogant insulting TW*T"

Hang on, isn't that a contradiction in terms? You are ALSO being arrogant and insulting in your statement. :rolleyes: