ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Wireless Network problem.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/313443-wireless-network-problem.html)

RichiW 24 March 2004 11:12 PM

Wireless Network problem..

Just setup a wireless network, i couldnt get it up and running by letting windows do it all, so setup the i.p adress's and gateways manually.

Now the desktop and laptop can see each other, i can access and swap files no problem, but what i cannot do is access the net from the laptop. The desktop is wired into a adsl router, and thats still working fine net wise. Is there something i'm missing? Why wont the laptop connect through the desktop to the router?

Using:

D-Link DSL-504 router
D-Link DWL-650+ Cardbus Adaptor
D-Link DWL 520+ PCI Card

Help! :)

RichiW 24 March 2004 11:20 PM

Just to add, if i connect the laptop upto the router with the old RJ45, then the net is working fine! Dam annoying! :D

Jamo 24 March 2004 11:20 PM

is your internet connections set up right? is it set to never dial a connection? etc?

jamo :D

GC8 24 March 2004 11:43 PM

Have you looked on DLink's website? there has been a recall on some of their wireless DSL Routers recently

Simon

HHxx 25 March 2004 12:06 AM

Am I correct in saying that your desktop is connected to the router and the laptop is connected via wireless to the desktop ad-hoc method? ie you are not using a access point?

Then you need to enable internet connection sharing on the wireless connection.

H

RichiW 25 March 2004 06:37 AM

HHxx, that is correct. The router is not wireless, so thats connected with RJ45's to the desktop, then wireless from the desktop to the laptop.

How do i enable internet connection sharing on the wireless connection? I have tired with the windows 'setting up a small home or office LAN' and told each computer what its task is but they are'nt having it :D Checked out options/tools in Explorer, told that to use the LAN too.

BuRR 25 March 2004 08:00 AM

ICS will only work (if I recall) if your host pc has an internal IP address of 192.168.0.1 .... just run the home networking wizard.

richiW - drop me an email and I'll do my best to talk you through it :)

RichiW 25 March 2004 09:42 PM

YHM BuRR :)

Right, sussed out how to turn on ICS, but the desktop is saying it cannot turn on ICS due to the fact theres another client on the network using 192.168.0.1 (its the D-Link Router :rolleyes: ).

Any ideas how i get around this baby?

sti555 25 March 2004 09:49 PM

Just change the lan ip on the router... :)

RichiW 25 March 2004 10:03 PM

Sussed it, just need to change the routers i.p. address to something like 192.168.0.0. .. easy! (in practise, too late now, time for bed!).

One way to up your post count too, ho-hum :o

RichiW 26 March 2004 07:01 AM

LOL!

Sorry about that STi555, i had this page up while reading the router's manual, then just did a quick reply below, never even saw your post! :o

Looks like your right, i'll just have to tell the computers on the network to use the routers new i.p. as the 'Gateway I.P' ?

sti555 26 March 2004 08:11 AM

Yep easy as that matey..

dns also same as gateway ip, just give everything a static ip, job done.

:D