ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Audi S4 crash pics (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/312566-audi-s4-crash-pics.html)

GarethE 22 March 2004 01:38 PM

Audi S4 crash pics

Not sure if this is SIAL, but take a look at

forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1584624.phtml

:eek: unbelievable pics - anyone know any more? Fake pics or not ?

If someone could make the link clicky, would be appreciated

Geezer 22 March 2004 01:41 PM

ouch!

Cupramax 22 March 2004 01:57 PM

Its an A3 not an S4 but still ouch !!! :O

OllyK 22 March 2004 01:58 PM

Doesn't look like the air bag went off either, not that it would have helped much

Chris_S199 22 March 2004 01:58 PM

Think the general consensus is that it's fake as there's no oil, coolant, fuel, etc coming from the engine, and also for that sort of crash, the ground around it is relatively unharmed. Also notice the driver's airbag is in tact, but it may not have gone off if there was no frontal impact.

I stand to be corrected though ;) Still a very effective way of showing what potentially could happen! :eek:

Chris

Cupramax 22 March 2004 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
Doesn't look like the air bag went off either, not that it would have helped much

The side airbag on the side of impact went off....

GarethE 22 March 2004 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cupramax
Its an A3 not an S4 but still ouch !!! :O

Cheers - I'll bow to your greater knowledge, :D , just saw it on the S4 page oops !

Cupramax 22 March 2004 02:06 PM

Lol, I wouldn't have wanted to be in it whatever it was. If thats real I cant see anyone getting out of that in anything other than a body bag.... :(

Brit_in_Japan 22 March 2004 03:51 PM

Do you see the deformation to the sill/floorpan where it hit the tree side-on? The passenger door is wrapped snuggly around the tree trunk and the sill is deformed to about the centreline of the car in a nice semi circular shape. That's not easy to do, you wouldn't bother if you just want to fake pics for a safety campaign or something.

As for fluids, we can't really see much on the engine pic. It wouldn't necessarily leak much if it hit square on sideways in the middle of the car. The engine would be a big mass which wanted to keep going when the side of the car hit, so would be acting to tear the car apart rather than absorb impact loads as is usual. Also look at the ground is dry/hard, pine needles etc. The coolant would have just been soaked up almost instantly, and those photos could have been taken hours afterwards. If it hit hard enough to tear a car in two and rip the engine from it mounts (or the mounts from the chassis) then the coolant could have been sprayed a long way. In fact we can't even see trace of the radiator, I guess the engine just ripped through it.

It could have been 6 inches off the floor when it hit the tree, which would account for no tyre marks, but as it doesn't show pictures from the road we'll never know one way or the other.

You can see the side airbags did go off. Also there is some scorched metalwork on the drivers door showing there was a brief fire there.

So overall I would say the pictures are consistent with a real accident.

But as the headline on the pics said, what speed would you have to do this to tear an Audi A4 in two ! Scary stuff.

chaos. 22 March 2004 04:01 PM

The needle looks like its stuck on the 90 mph mark, is 90 enough for that amount of damage?? If you look at the steering wheel it's bent forwards, I'd say if it was bent in the forward style, it's been in a head on collision, not a side collision.

Does anyone know if it's real or fake??
Nasty if it's for real, I think you'd have to search for the drivers head before you zip up the body bag...........................

Fatman 22 March 2004 04:04 PM

It's likely to be km/h, I would have guessed.

dosenöffner 22 March 2004 04:07 PM

It also appears to have been a cut and shut the way it came apart so perfectly (so to speak). Let's remember people probably died so I don't understand the post with LOL in it.

Jerome 22 March 2004 04:20 PM

Looking at the damage to the bark on the tree, the car was 2 feet in the air when it hit. Quite what the driver did, or hit, to get the car sideways 2 feet in the air on an apparently straight road is a mystery to me. Looks like what's left of the occupants are under the sheets by the tree. As for coolant etc, with an impact this dramatic, the coolant could be sprayed over such a large area it dried in no time at all, let alone by the time the emergency services start taking pictures.

GarethE 22 March 2004 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by dosenöffner
Let's remember people probably died so I don't understand the post with LOL in it.

Cupramax was refering to my comment about his greater knowledge of Audi's...I'm sure he wasn't refering to the crash, which we are all certainly shocked at if its true, especially if there were fatalities.. :(

OllyK 22 March 2004 04:35 PM

The speed may be in kmh, but that just shows the indicated speed when the speedo stopped functioning, it would suggest that the car was travelling at a greater speed than this, but how much more???

JimmyRB5PRO 22 March 2004 04:37 PM

says page cannot be found now ????

Originally Posted by OllyK
The speed may be in kmh, but that just shows the indicated speed when the speedo stopped functioning, it would suggest that the car was travelling at a greater speed than this, but how much more???

says page cannot be found now ???? has it been removed then ???

GaryK 22 March 2004 04:37 PM

link doesnt work???

OllyK 22 March 2004 04:39 PM

That'll be cos the link includes a <br> at the end of it :D copy and paste from the text above with an http:// in front of it or try this http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1584624.phtml

OllyK 22 March 2004 04:40 PM

Ooops - nope, guess we have killed the audiworld server!! :D

Cupramax 22 March 2004 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by GarethE
Cupramax was refering to my comment about his greater knowledge of Audi's...I'm sure he wasn't refering to the crash, which we are all certainly shocked at if its true, especially if there were fatalities.. :(

Correct,....

OllyK 22 March 2004 04:56 PM

especially if there were fatalities..
Wold be a miracle if anybody got out of that alive!

chaos. 22 March 2004 05:02 PM

What is a realistic speed to literally rap a car like that around a tree??

edit - Would it have been the 1.8 turbo?

jaf01uk 22 March 2004 09:01 PM

Have located the pictures, if you look at page 2 I think that the white sheets may be covering the occupants, not a good one at all, similar type of crash on the local news today, looks like a 206 180 lost control in Aberdeen in the early hours and hit a pedestrian and the broke in two after hitting a tree side on, :mad:
A3 Crash

Mark Kwiatkowski 22 March 2004 10:33 PM

Looks like the accident happend in Portugal. That car must have been going some speed, those photos are shocking.

Tim66 STi8 22 March 2004 10:34 PM

Could be a demonstration on what could happen. In Germany they use some sort of a catapult system to send the car on it's way. It's not very clear but I don't think that is a key in the ignition. I could be wrong & hope I am because I can't see anyone walking away from that :(

Dream Weaver 22 March 2004 11:09 PM

Kin ell, looks like its been nicked, the thing in the ignition is a bent feeler guage type thing as opposed to a key.

J S W 22 March 2004 11:17 PM

I wonder if the insurance company wrote it off.

lpski1 22 March 2004 11:59 PM

:eek: how bent is the steering wheel, must of really impacted on that. :(

Jerome 23 March 2004 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Kin ell, looks like its been nicked, the thing in the ignition is a bent feeler guage type thing as opposed to a key.

The drivers leg probably broke the plastic bit off the ignition key and bent the metal bit of the key remaining upwards.

Simon Lau 23 March 2004 03:52 AM

yeah link looks dead like the car I guess...:(