ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Sti8 "Flexi Spoiler"!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/310222-sti8-flexi-spoiler.html)

ajm 14 March 2004 07:21 AM

Sti8 "Flexi Spoiler"!!!

Anyone else noticed how flexible the STi8 spoiler is? It bows up and down at motorway speeds and when you close the boot it wobbles and twangs!

Does anyone make a decent direct replacement (exact replica preferably) that is stiff (out of carbon fibre maybe)?

cheers :)

explore 14 March 2004 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ajm
Anyone else noticed how flexible the STi8 spoiler is? It bows up and down at motorway speeds and when you close the boot it wobbles and twangs!

Does anyone make a decent direct replacement (exact replica preferably) that is stiff (out of carbon fibre maybe)?

cheers :)

i get the same with mine mate but mine seams to stiffen up at speeds over 80

Nevetas 14 March 2004 09:13 AM

Not to everyone taste but...

http://www.nevetas.co.uk/albums/albu...dium.sized.jpg

Carbon Fibre top.

ajm 15 March 2004 07:32 AM

Cheers guys.... any manufacturers links?

Apple 15 March 2004 08:23 AM

Nevetas,

Looking good - any more piccies?

Is that the Scoobysport spoiler and is it possible to get it non-CF version?

Ta muchly,

Apple

STi Paul 15 March 2004 12:59 PM

ajm
Before you commit to a new spoiler, check out all the bolt holes, theres about 8 or 9 on mine, and changing the spoiler would mean a new boot lid
Mine wobbles like a limp banana too, even at high speed, so i dont think you are actually getting any downforce from it, if you were it would be pressed down.

Paul

ajm 15 March 2004 01:24 PM

Paul,

Yeah, I had a look at the bolts (checked them for tightness) which is one of the reasons I was wondering if an exact replica was available so it would be a straight swap. I would be surprised if a CF replica wasn't available somewhere... :(

Daz34 15 March 2004 02:59 PM

You might as well change the wobbly intercooler scoop whilst you are at it ;)

Daz34 15 March 2004 03:03 PM

Looks like a ScoobySport one to me. Link here ;)

greasemonkey 15 March 2004 03:08 PM

What are you guys complaining about? It's flexible, so what? Ferrari tried flexible aerofoils in F1 a couple of years ago, and all the other teams tried to have them banned on the grounds that they were more effective.

Sounds to me like Subaru know what they're doing... :D

ajm 15 March 2004 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
What are you guys complaining about? It's flexible, so what? Ferrari tried flexible aerofoils in F1 a couple of years ago, and all the other teams tried to have them banned on the grounds that they were more effective.

Sounds to me like Subaru know what they're doing... :D

hmmmm.... wasn't the idea of a flexible spoiler so that it would reduce pitch at higher speed hence reducing drag? My simple mind fails to see how Subaru's vibrating spoiler achieves the same thing! ;)

Nevetas 15 March 2004 03:52 PM

Hiya,

Mine doesn't wobble at any speed. It's hard as nails :D

Yes it's a scoobysport one.

15 March 2004 11:17 PM

I've got an Sti 7/8 spoiler on my WRX MY02..... :)

on Bob Rawle's "private track" (TeK3 :) ) I was looking at the boost gauge and the other traffic..... Not much time to look in the rear view mirror for wobbling spoiler :)

325 BHP at the last Well lane RR day... :D :D ..concentrate on the road in front and let people behind worry :D

Midlife.....

wrxmania 15 March 2004 11:27 PM

My UK300 spoiler flexes a bit too.

Daz34 16 March 2004 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by wrxmania
My UK300 spoiler flexes a bit too.

Does that improve its looks ;) :D

evojkp 16 March 2004 01:07 AM

My only real issue with the floppy Sti8 spoiler is that at night, when tramping along, if you have one of those german motors with ice blue lights behind you, you get a strobe effect that looks like the rozzers blue lights behind you. :eek: I've had a few frights...

jackieFMbrunei 16 March 2004 03:32 AM

GM

got it from wrc website, the new subaru designer comes from ferrari n used to do the designing in ferrari F1!!!!!

don get me wrong, i luuuvvveeee ferrari, but a subaru-ferrari hybrid is NOT something that i would like to see.

rgrds

ScoobyDraven 16 March 2004 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by evojkp
My only real issue with the floppy Sti8 spoiler is that at night, when tramping along, if you have one of those german motors with ice blue lights behind you, you get a strobe effect that looks like the rozzers blue lights behind you. :eek: I've had a few frights...

Ha! I thought it was only me that suffered with that! It's very disconcerting isn't it?!

nellie 16 March 2004 08:19 AM

i used to get that on my STI7,why dont they do what my EVO8 fq has,and make the blade part carbon fibre,mine looks great and doesnt flex one bit.

SPEN555 16 March 2004 08:29 AM

If you look on Litchfield Imports website and I think the type 25 website you will find options or accessories.

One of these IIRC are the vertical bits like on the WRC. Now that would stiffen the spolier up a bit! (looks expensive though £400-£500).

Can't get on the type25 website at the mo to add the link.

redwrx 16 March 2004 08:35 AM

When you mention 'at speeds over 80', im guessing thats KPH....!!!!!!!!

nellie 16 March 2004 08:43 AM

mine doesnt flex at 130 MPH yes MPH