ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Best bait for a rat trap? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/309466-best-bait-for-a-rat-trap.html)

Tentenths 11 March 2004 11:02 AM

Best bait for a rat trap?

Title says it all really...

ProperCharlie 11 March 2004 11:08 AM

a bit of meat will usually do the trick - however: they will learn that it is a trap! you may catch one the first time you set the trap, but as soon as the other rats see a squished rat, they learn not to repeat his mistake. i was very surprised how quickly this happended when our yard was infested with the bl**dy things. poison is the only solution.

ajm 11 March 2004 11:09 AM

Where are you locating the traps, i.e. are they in reach of other non-target species? If so then you need to try and choose a bait that won't attract hedgehogs etc. Do you know what they are feeding on currently?

Generally, like mice, they will take sweeter things like mars bar or peanut butter.

Edited to say: Agree with above about poison. The poison is effectively bait ready laced and they will stuff themselves with it. It will kill them away from the poison tray so they won't have any opportunity to learn its bad for them!

Tentenths 11 March 2004 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ajm
Where are you locating the traps, i.e. are they in reach of other non-target species? If so then you need to try and choose a bait that won't attract hedgehogs etc. Do you know what they are feeding on currently?

Good point. Traps will be set inside the shed - AFAIK only rats (and perhaps mice) can get in there.

They're currently feeding on the bread that my neighbours insist on leaving out for the birds... but then come round to complain about "your rat" pinching it!!!

Hadn't occurred to them that it was the daily supply of food that might have attracted the rats! But to be fair, they have agreed to stop for now.

TonyNesta 11 March 2004 11:34 AM

I have a problem with rats in my loft. Pest control geezer from the council has been out and laid two trays of poison in the loft. Things went quiet for a week, but now they are back noisier than ever, so poison has not been effective in my case. Council coming out again tomorrow, presumably to lay traps I hope.

T

Sith 11 March 2004 04:17 PM

Rats gain imunity to poisons. They also just lurve those kind people who throw bread to the ground for the birds.

weapon69 11 March 2004 04:26 PM

Cornflakes:D If B2Z's rats are anything to go by:)

Then squish them with a mouse trap thing:D

ajm 11 March 2004 04:37 PM

Some rats have developed resistance against anticoagulant poisons like warfarin, though I don't believe any would fare so well against the newer neurotoxin based poisons like bromethalin!

Of course, there is always the good old air rifle!

RussBoy 11 March 2004 04:56 PM

I'm told that rats go mad for 'soap' - something to do with the fat that binds it or something...

ProperCharlie 11 March 2004 05:40 PM

any special tips for getting rid of mice? just seen another one of the b*stards in the kitchen. i put down some poison a couple of weeks ago, and it disappeared so i thought i'd nailed them. it seems not. time to get thermonuclear on their asses.

:D

yoza 11 March 2004 05:55 PM

.....MURDERERS !

Poor little feckers, leave them alone.

If you must, try a blast from your Remington 332.
Watch out for the glassware though.

WRX Wannabe 11 March 2004 06:18 PM

A Cat :D

GaryK 11 March 2004 06:24 PM

knob cheese:D

ProperCharlie 11 March 2004 07:08 PM

some of you lot are sooooo helpful :rolleyes:

David Lock 11 March 2004 07:22 PM

It's not BuRR's is it? Best to check first........ :D :D

unclebuck 11 March 2004 07:24 PM

Mice are very hard to get rid of in my experience. We tried to poison them once but seeing them staggering around in agony before they died was very upsetting for me and the GF.:(

Then it got worse - the cat ate a poisoned one and it died a horrible painful death too.:(:(

The whole episode was just awful. Try to deter them by other means, like finding out where they get in and block the holes. Or find where they are nesting and evict the little buggers. A cat is the best deterent by far. They will soon leave if a cat turns up.

UB:(

Jamo 11 March 2004 07:28 PM

i have two pet rats, and all i can say is there clever little buggers! get yourself an air rifle mate!

jamo :D

HGV1 Driver 11 March 2004 11:28 PM

I used CHOCOLATE. seem to do the trick for mice anyway.

Jon

paulwrxboro 11 March 2004 11:55 PM

fat from the grill on a bit of bread you wont go wrong i set 5 traps in the shed next day 5 mice and this went on until none left

scoobypreza 12 March 2004 04:21 AM

do mice like stilton?

We had a similar problem. Its a right pain.
There are some ideas on this thread....
Do mice like stilton!?
Hope that helps
cath

ProperCharlie 12 March 2004 08:37 AM

right - i'm gonna try fatty bread in some traps. so i take it mice don't learn like rats do? whatever the case, i'll give traps a go. i don't think there's too many of them at the moment - only ever see one at a time. the missus is going mentalist about it. get phone calls when i'm at work:
"hello?"
"aahhyeeee moouuuse eeeeeeeee ieeayyyyyyahhhhhhh keeeeeeetcheeeeeeen!"
"wtf?"

Mice_Elf 12 March 2004 08:59 AM

According to "A Life of Grime" last night, pieces of apples or something juicy is ideal, as rats have to drink a lot of water.

Nevetas 12 March 2004 09:03 AM

indeed

http://www.country-breeze.co.uk

ajm 12 March 2004 09:09 AM

There's always the Pied Piper.... but whatever you do remember to pay him! :D

blair 12 March 2004 10:47 AM

I have success against mice with raisins and / or chocolate (although I've never tried chocoloate raisins - theres and idea :D)

I'd second the cat as a deterent too - I got one of those "aahhyeeee moouuuse eeeeeeeee ieeayyyyyyahhhhhhh keeeeeeetcheeeeeeen!" but this time it was in the conservatory.

I just told my wife to chuck one of the cats in there for a couple of hours - bingo !

Job done

Tentenths 12 March 2004 11:20 AM

Thanks for all your input guys.

As far as the traps are concerned, I think I'll give him/them a choice - chocolate, soap, and apple! Hope they appreciate it ;)

Our cat has done an excellent job of keeping the mouse population down, but when she encountered the rat the other day she just turned tail and ran away!! To be fair, she's exceptionally small and the rat is particularly big at about two thirds of her size (why the hell am I making excuses for a cat?).

If I get a chance over the weekend, I'll get the trusty .177 on the case as well!

jcullen 12 March 2004 03:24 PM

always found rolo's to be the best bait for the little bast...critters. just the right size and u get to eat the rest of the packet!

J4CKO 12 March 2004 06:04 PM

John Peel Narrating seems to do the trick.

If I used Rolo's all I would catch would be my wife.

Tracey 12 March 2004 06:09 PM

We had a rat a couple of weeks ago, pest control came out and laid the stuff. It turned up dead in next doors kitchen cupboard under their sink. Haven't heard anything else since.

ProperCharlie 12 March 2004 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO
If I used Rolo's all I would catch would be my wife.

would it still work if *i* used rolos?

:)