ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY03 Dashboard Rattle (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/309271-my03-dashboard-rattle.html)

T-1000 10 March 2004 06:13 PM

MY03 Dashboard Rattle

Its a longshot but Ive got a rattle on my dashboard seems to be on the drivers side possible where dash meets the door. Cant really check while driving! Any one else had this rattle it is really doing my head in now. Dealer has had one attempt and hasnt fixed it. Any DIY rattle repair experts out there?

buzz_lightyear 10 March 2004 06:22 PM

Ive got a MY04 and mine appears to rattle near the instrument binicle. I undid the two screws under the top surface and tried to reseat everything and tightened back up again. Did bugger all! stills rattles - maybe even worse, so I think Im in the right area.

Mind you, its still way better than the Alfa 156 I had before it!

hales 10 March 2004 06:24 PM

buzz

Dont spose you have the rattle from the rear shelf area. I have an 04 and its driving me nuts....but I do not have the front rattle yet?

T-1000 10 March 2004 06:27 PM

Only the front at the moment thank god. Its getting on me tits.

Butty 10 March 2004 06:34 PM

My MY04 also rattle around the instrument binnacle until it gets thumped and also behind the passengers door panel, top left. Both in to be looked at next week.

Nick

PST 10 March 2004 06:36 PM

I've got the front rattle too on a new MYO3.

It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side pillar/dashboard and is worse at 40/50 mph than at motorway speeds (where it turns into a clicking noise).

Getting the wife to fiddle whilst I'm driving it seems that if the binnacle in the middle is pushed (where the clock is) the rattling stops.

I'll get the dealer to look at it at the first service (tues) and report back if they cure it.

Nathan L 10 March 2004 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by T-1000
Its a longshot but Ive got a rattle on my dashboard seems to be on the drivers side possible where dash meets the door. Cant really check while driving! Any one else had this rattle it is really doing my head in now. Dealer has had one attempt and hasnt fixed it. Any DIY rattle repair experts out there?

I know it may sound stupid but could it be the key fob hitting the steering shroud?

Mine used to do it until I changed the order of my keys and now its fine.

Nathan..

jas03WRX 10 March 2004 06:37 PM

turn the stereo upto 24... that seems to sort it :D

I know were yout coming from tho... total pain in the arse, rattles!!!
I had one in my last car (golf mk4 turbo) turned out it was the rear seat belt mounting behind the seat. drove me insane.

As for the dash to door rattle, try some sticky foam pads in the far corner side of dash nearist the door hinge area. could be the two are catching each other. its not a permenant fix but it may prove where the problem is....

only an idea

Nathan L 10 March 2004 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by PST
I've got the front rattle too on a new MYO3.

It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side pillar/dashboard and is worse at 40/50 mph than at motorway speeds (where it turns into a clicking noise).

Getting the wife to fiddle whilst I'm driving it seems that if the binnacle in the middle is pushed (where the clock is) the rattling stops.

I'll get the dealer to look at it at the first service (tues) and report back if they cure it.

I had this one on my MY01 WRX.

A little blue tack around the clips and some 3 in 1 oil smeared round the area where the binnacle sits sorted this one.

And yes I do HATE rattles :D

T-1000 10 March 2004 06:39 PM

jas03WRX

Great Idea I will give it a go.

hales 10 March 2004 06:47 PM

jas

jas03wrx

Cant be a standard hifi if you can turn it to 24??

explore 10 March 2004 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by hales
Dont spose you have the rattle from the rear shelf area. I have an 04 and its driving me nuts....but I do not have the front rattle yet?

the rattle on the rear shelf is where the centre seat belt go's under the shelf its the plastic housing around it.

buzz_lightyear 10 March 2004 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by hales

Mines a wagon, so theres all kinds of noise from the back! Mostly the dog hitting the tail gate under acceleration... oops!

T-1000 10 March 2004 10:38 PM

Just tried wedging a sponge between the dash and the door. Rattle has gone so it looks like the area. Now just got to fix it.

wrxmania 10 March 2004 11:51 PM

T1000,

I have JUST had this repaired by Subaru - they know about it.

It is the plastic clips which hold on the drivers door cover panel/door card. They need to be helped a bit - the body shop put on some body shop anti-rattle tape and that stopped it for a bit. Mine is going in next week to have all of it's rattles sorted.

Take it back and get them to fix it - it is not your fault it has been built shoddily. They can all be fixed though. Subaru guy said they knew about it.

Brian.

STi Paul 11 March 2004 09:58 AM

Hales:
Had a rattle which seemed to be rear parcel shelf.
Was the seatbelt mech behind nearside rear door. Dealer replaced on warrenty
Hope this helps.

Have also got rattle on front dash. Traced it to dealer fit dial pod. all the loose wires and stuff, was cured with duck tape.

Paul

hales 11 March 2004 10:03 AM

Ta

Its booked in next week for 1k so will give the luck dealer all your info and they can sort them...

Thanks for your help ...