ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Its that electric time of year again (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/309000-its-that-electric-time-of-year-again.html)

+Doc+ 09 March 2004 07:28 PM

Its that electric time of year again

Anyone noticed the increase in static electricity on Subaru`s lately or is it just me? Got out of my car today after a short drive got out the car ok then put my key into the house lock and the was a half inch ark of static! Keeps catching me out as I forget to earth myself evertime :)

BMWhere? 09 March 2004 07:32 PM

Maybe because its cold your rubbing your feet more on the carpet to warm them up while the heater is directed at the windscreen? :rolleyes:

R.B 09 March 2004 08:20 PM

Been on the backseat again Doc :D

Speedmeister 10 March 2004 10:32 AM

I get this really bad! To the extent that I get quite paranoid about the impending shock and have to flick the metalwork with my nail to get the shock over and done with less painfully.
It depends on the shoes I wear. I'm fine with a decent pair of Rockport boots on.
Am I going mad? Any psychiatrists out there?

Redkop 10 March 2004 10:56 AM

I am not so sure that it's the inanimate object that is at fault..... I am getting static shocks from everything recently and when I put clothes on over my head, my hair stands out on end... so maybe it's 'us' that is the cause :D

mrklaw 10 March 2004 11:40 AM

I've been getting this when I put the key in the ignition, if my finger is on the metal part. Certainly paying more attention now!

markwild 10 March 2004 11:49 AM

Happens to me all the time ! When I get out of the car, I always put my leg against the back of the key as I put it into the lock (Have to use the key in the door :( ) to take the brunt of the shock - but forget last week and dropped my mobile !

ALWAYS make sure I 'de-shock' before filling with fuel - but the spark seems a little big with all those fumes about !

Mark

+Doc+ 10 March 2004 12:26 PM

The trick is to touch the metalwork BEFORE you get out, this earths you, I always forget though and get the shock :)

markwild 10 March 2004 01:06 PM

Really - I'll give that a try - Any particular body work, and do I need to just touch it momentarily, or until my feet touch the ground ?

Ta,

Mark

+Doc+ 10 March 2004 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by markwild
Really - I'll give that a try - Any particular body work, and do I need to just touch it momentarily, or until my feet touch the ground ?

Ta,

Mark

Any exterior metal surface before you touch the ground ;) dont be scared just plant your hand on it and you will be ok.

scoobyverysoon 10 March 2004 06:18 PM

shock

i always get one when exiting the car and closing the door - my G/F never gets one when shes on her own but its fun when we both shut the door together Zap Zap he he he he (i zap her - must be the static in my gruds!!)

Jud

wrxtankie 10 March 2004 08:53 PM

You could get one of those anti static strips (very 80s) to hang off the rear of your motor like your grandad used to have on his old volvos

SilverTurboWagon 10 March 2004 09:21 PM

I'm even getting shocks off the Dog, when stroking him, at the moment :S