ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   This has never happened before.......? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/308185-this-has-never-happened-before.html)

skoosh 07 March 2004 11:38 AM

This has never happened before.......?

Hi all, this morning I filled up with Optimax, right upto the brim and on leaving the forecourt I gave it a bit of a blast. From starting point to next junction is only about 300 yards, so 1st 2nd and 3rd were used, and not to red line.

So, I get to the junction and the revs are sitting at 2k, I revved it a little to reduce the revs but they rose to 3k. I proceed over roundabout to first exit, pull over, still blipping the accelerator to drop the revs, revs dip and car starts to splutter and then CEL comes on, not flashing but constant. Turn the car off, restart and no problem, idles fine and pulls fine.

I filled the car right upto the brim and also had a new clutch fitted yesterday.

Any ideas you knowledgable lot?

Skoosh.

MY96, full decat, scoobyecu.

Greeno 07 March 2004 12:24 PM

I had this happe on mine, not sure what it was, any way we canb check engine codes...!!!

G.

NelsonUK 07 March 2004 12:24 PM

Maybe worth connecting the 2 black Ecu diagnostic connectors at the base of the steering column. Turn ignition on but don't start the car - you should have a CEL cos this will be reading the ECU history. The numbers of flashes will tell you what code you had.

HTH

skoosh 07 March 2004 12:54 PM

Thanx guys, checked the ecu fault code and am getting a reading of 24 ( I think ).

AFAIK this would represent an idle valve fault (?)

Anyone got any ideas, also forgot to mention that I had an injector purge carries out on Tuesday at TSL.

Thanx.

SKOOSH.

ALi-B 07 March 2004 03:10 PM

code 24 is the idle control valve.

Maybe a bad connection, so check the connector to it, also check the hosing to it for any leaks etc.

It's possible that it maybe sticking, in which case it may require a good clean.

Creepy 07 March 2004 04:25 PM

Idle valve controller : Black thing that's just before the intercooler on the right side of the throttle house, it's connected horizontal with two bloody tight screws.
Find a VERY GOOD philips screwdriver and remove the controller (also unplug the connector first, :) )
Then clean it touroughly with carbu-vleaner or brake cleaner but don't let the "pyramid shape thig" move because otherwise it would take a century for the ECU to find the right "idle".
These are things that just happens....

Creepy

skoosh 07 March 2004 04:57 PM

Guys, thanx for the info, can you tell me if I've got this correct.....

CEL came on once, I turned car off and waited a few minutes. Idle corrected itself and hasn't come back on since, I've just returned from a 50 mile journey with no probs at all. On checking the ecu and getting the fault code as 24, this is the car telling me waht the fault was is that correct. If the fault was still there wouldn't I have CEL on while driving?

Skoosh.

Creepy 07 March 2004 05:19 PM

Probably it was just sticking, maybe it's better to clean it (or let it clean), just in case. The worst thing that can happen is idle @ 2-3k rpm like you had...
But that's a good point to make a blitz start, LOL

Creepy

Scott.T 07 March 2004 07:48 PM

The description above for the idle control valve is for an MY99/00.

On an MY96 it is further over to the right (passenger side, towards the strut top) and mounted on the intake manifold. It is on a slotted mounting so make sure you mark it's position before you remove it. I think it has a big grey connector.

Inside is a metal shaft that works on magnetic attraction and repulsion.
Give it a good clean out and make sure the centre part freely rotates from left to right (probably only about 45 degees roatation each way).

ALi-B 07 March 2004 11:29 PM

The fault code will stay in the ECU's memory until it's reset or I think it will clear itself after it's been started umpteen times without the fault appearing (I might be getting mixed up with my ECU's on this bit though).