ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   jap or u.k.new buyer needs help (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/307828-jap-or-u-k-new-buyer-needs-help.html)

marke8 05 March 2004 07:04 PM

jap or u.k.new buyer needs help

i am looking for a impreza m,n, or p reg.but dont know which model to go for.i want a stanard car but could you tell me the pro's and cons for u.k cars v's imports.
thanks

SIBBO 05 March 2004 07:32 PM

your best bet is to drive a uk car and see the differance for your self, a standed uk car is no match for a jap spec wrx and a sti is even quicker but this may not be what you are after.

good luck

black_cat17 05 March 2004 10:19 PM

you have to be aware some insurance companies may not insure imports! Just a thought........

pslewis 06 March 2004 12:01 AM

Not much can beat a solid UK car, one owner, FSSH, not modded and not abused - in terms of trouble free motoring.

However, if all you want is to drive around noisy and fast and spend the weekends fixing it then an Import is the one for you!

Pete

AlanS 06 March 2004 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Not much can beat a solid UK car, one owner, FSSH, not modded and not abused - in terms of trouble free motoring.

However, if all you want is to drive around noisy and fast and spend the weekends fixing it then an Import is the one for you!

Pete

Don't be put off by the above. I'm on my third import and never had a problem. If value for money is in your criteria then go for an import particularly an sti. Choose carefully and you will get a bargain performance car. Go for one with a comprehensive service record and history.

happy hunting

jason4656 06 March 2004 01:36 AM

cmon thats a pretty general negative comment!! as the other guy said, dont be put off by that
1 imports arent necessarily noisey! mine isnt
2 I havent spent any weekend fixing mine

you got to make a decision based on what you want, first i went for a uk car, yes it was trouble free, however i wasnt satisfied with the performance, it wasnt much better than another other hot hatch/saloon.

I then went for a jdm sti, totally different beast, reliable 100% so far, not loud, very fast, and will be my choice for the future for sure, i wont get a uk car again....jmho

Nick200 06 March 2004 09:45 AM

I agree.

when I sold my my97 uk (255bhp) I was gutted, that was untill I bought an even older my92wrx.

The import feels faster,tighter just more of a focused machine:)

Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with uk cars.

zoton 06 March 2004 09:53 AM

I agree I have had imported and I now have a UK Turbo. Wouldn't stop me buying an import again. I just wanted the FSSH and a chance to mess it up myself :)

Don't forget they make them in the same factory...it is just would you like extra bits with that sir isn't it? There isn't a Subaru factory in Speke or Birmingham.

Mark