ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   MY04 sudden wind noise at high speed? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/306915-my04-sudden-wind-noise-at-high-speed.html)

Butty 02 March 2004 07:29 PM

MY04 sudden wind noise at high speed?

I tried the car at highish speeds today and hit some sort of awful resonance/wind pressure noise at 130 mph and backed off, thinking it was something terminal.
Car seemed perfectly OK afterwards.
I seem to remember a previous thread that STis are getitng a bad noise at the same sort of speeds but cannot use "search" at moment.
The noise just switches on and goes right through the car (and my head) very loudly, like a siren, as if some seal has popped with air pressure and is body rather than engine related. Go below that threshold and the noise gets killed straight away.

Any help on what it is and how to avoid it (other than not do that speed :) )

Nick
MY04 WRX Wagon PPP

scoobyslut 03 March 2004 08:22 AM

Without re designing the air vents in the vehicle, especially the "exit" ones, dont think there is much you can do.
It may help to try using "recyk" on the heater system, see if that limits the air throughput inside the car, it might just do it.

It is simply the volume of air passing through at that type of speed that is doing it.

mwp 03 March 2004 09:46 AM

feck you must have a long driveway to hit 130 before crashing into the garage door ;)

loads of threads on this one ... it's the frameless windows humming ... drop the window by a few mm and them put back up again

... without lifting off the right foot :D

- mark.

marklemac 03 March 2004 09:59 AM

Butty,

Same thing happens on my MY02 STi, but the noise disappears when you do 140+

owbow 03 March 2004 10:23 AM

g/friends motor does this, but at 95mph... whack the windows up hard and it solves it! scary the 1st time it happens!

o. :)

Jza 03 March 2004 10:25 AM

If its a loud howling sound - its the wing mirrors getting their knickers in a twist with the air flow ;)

Jza

scooby L 03 March 2004 10:49 AM

Door rubbers mate.

mine did it when I first got it last year... driving into a headwind at around 90+ got this loud humming noise.
Used to have to open the passenger window a tad to stop it.... but now it seams to have bedded in.

Butty 03 March 2004 12:11 PM

I got someone in the car to trace the noise (brave soul!) and they say it appears to come from behind the glovebox, which I guess is the AC and air inlet mixing box.

Its back to the dealer, also with squeaking passenger door trim for some warranty work.
Knowing Westaway, I'll get a funny look when I mention the speed.

Thanks for feedback.

Nick

Gary C 03 March 2004 01:20 PM

Got it on my 03 STi into a head wind and thought it was the bonet resonating as it takes up quite a scary angle at high speed (just take a look at how far above the wing the bonnet front edge gets to at 100mph, into a 40mph wind of course)