ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   I reckon the MOT should be free when..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/305611-i-reckon-the-mot-should-be-free-when.html)

pslewis 26 February 2004 11:51 PM

I reckon the MOT should be free when.....

When you put your car in for a service!

My car is due for the VERY BIG 4 year/60,000mile service at the same time the MOT is due.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong - BUT, surely most of the MOT is automatically covered in the Service?

So, the dealer wants you to pay for the checking type work TWICE!? Cheeky Gits!! I am going to suggest that they throw the MOT in as a teaser to make me visit THEM rather than a competitor?!

I mean, the 60,000mile service is upwards of £700!!!!!! :eek:

Pete

Danbo 26 February 2004 11:59 PM

Im with you.......

The MOT should be thrown in. At least as a gesture of good will. Especially if you ask them to service it to get it through an MOT.

Then if it fails..its their fault surely!!

RIGPIG 27 February 2004 12:04 AM

Ps M8
It's not the dealer that charges you, It's the Vehicle Inspectorate they set the price

Criss

Danbo 27 February 2004 12:05 AM

Dont mean the dealer cant pay it! (as a goodwill gesture) LOL As if.......

pslewis 27 February 2004 12:06 AM

Funny? I make the payment out to the DEALER!!

The Department SETS the charge but does NOT collect!

So, sorry, you're off the mark - it goes into the dealers pocket!

Pete

RIGPIG 27 February 2004 12:09 AM

Danbo

I totaly agree with you, It's a rip off, Dealers Make more money in an hours labour than most of us make in two if not three.

If your going to spend a few sqwids at a dealers workshop they should offer at least a discount off an MOT.

Criss

Danbo 27 February 2004 12:10 AM

We can but dream........... ;)

RIGPIG 27 February 2004 12:17 AM

Just out of intrest, What are they charging for an MOT?

Last one I had was for the girlfriends car was £20, a good discount without any other work carried out.

Criss

pslewis 27 February 2004 12:20 AM

£45 or thereabouts?

Pete

alcazar 27 February 2004 08:20 AM

When I have either of my cars serviced, NOT at Scoob dealers, as my nerarest is 30 miles now, they always do the MoT for about £15.

Alcazar

milo 27 February 2004 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
I mean, the 60,000mile service is upwards of £700!!!!!! :eek:

do they bend you over and pull your pants down too for that too? :eek:

i dunno where you're getting the service, but a mate got a 90k service for considerably less than that, WITH front pads.

i do my own servicing, so it costs me almost nothing.. but just saying the 60k one should be around half what you're paying... it's not rocket science after all :D

pslewis 27 February 2004 04:59 PM

Service is being done at a Subaru Main Dealer (as it needs to be to maintain warranty!)
and it includes ALL fluids, Spark Plugs, normal service items AND the CamBelt!

And its £700+ !!!! and to get THAT cheap price I need to drive 70miles round trip and take a days leave!! :eek:

I could do it myself as its not rocket science - but, sadly, if my engine blows up Subaru will not consider me a greasey mechanic!! and leave me having to find £1000's!

Pete

dome 27 February 2004 05:02 PM

Why don't you ask them if they'll throw it in? If small garages can afford to do it for £15-£20 then a main dealer can afford to do it for free if you're spending £700. Tell them you'll go elsewhere if they don't. If they want your business then they can do this.

scoobyboy 27 February 2004 07:20 PM

mot stations do have to buy the books of certificates they aint free but they dont pay the £40 fee for them they pay by the certificates and i cant remember how many are in a book but at the end of the day the dealer pays out a lot of money upfront before you pays your £40

pslewis 27 February 2004 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by dome
Why don't you ask them if they'll throw it in? If small garages can afford to do it for £15-£20 then a main dealer can afford to do it for free if you're spending £700. Tell them you'll go elsewhere if they don't. If they want your business then they can do this.

Well, yes, I think I will get them to consider throwing it in with the £700 service! Seems reasonable don't you think?

Pete

v5 man 28 February 2004 01:28 AM

Erm, cough cough, I have a subaru dealer reciept for a 60k service with cambelt change and everything else that should be done at £511 including VAT. you are being shafted. which a man of your intelligence can quite obviously now see...... I hope.

Tiggs 28 February 2004 08:24 AM

i had my 540 mot'd, for that bmw took my car- gave me a 525 for the day, they drove it to the mot place...it failed (chunk out of 19 inch tyre), they cleaned it gave it back......i got new tyre, back to step 1 and repeat....all for £45, bargain. it took BMW about 2 hrs of time- twice to get it done, that very cheap abour in my book. (i'd pay £45 for two valets only!)

bartmanuk 28 February 2004 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by RIGPIG
Ps M8
It's not the dealer that charges you, It's the Vehicle Inspectorate they set the price

Criss

yeh but they dont set the price at £40.75,thats wot the dealers charged me a couple of weeks ago for the mot,and they also had it in for the 82500 mile service at the same time,you guessed it no discount...

BM

scoobyboy 28 February 2004 03:50 PM

£40.75 is what the inspectorate think the minimum cost of an mot should be so that is usally what people are charged

ozzy 28 February 2004 04:32 PM

£700 :eek:

Mine was £500+10% SIDC discount AND they picked my car up from work on the back of a low-loader and then delivered it back to me mid-afternoon all cleaned and polished.

Never mind the MOT price, I'd be asking for an all-round better service and price from your Dealer ;)

Stefan

pslewis 01 March 2004 11:53 PM

Ok, challenge!

Someone find me a Subaru Dealer in the South - within 35 mile radius of the Newbury/Basingstoke/Reading Triangle who will do a 60k service (WITH Cambelt change) for less than £599!!

Pete

quicksprint 02 March 2004 08:12 AM

Sorry but £40.75 is the MAXIMUM a garage can charge for the MOT.

steve

scoobyboy 02 March 2004 07:45 PM

sorry thats what i ment not minimum duh!!
that is until they sub it out then they can charge vat on top of the £40.75

scoobyboy 02 March 2004 07:49 PM

what car have you got and i'll see what we charge. at £55 + vat we got to be one of the cheapest

quicksprint 03 March 2004 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
what car have you got and i'll see what we charge. at £55 + vat we got to be one of the cheapest

No VAT on MOT's!!

Dunk 03 March 2004 07:54 AM

IIRC the cost to a garage of an MOT certificate is 20p !!!!!!! The differential between the recommended price of c.£40 is for labour / setup costs & profit.

D

pslewis 03 March 2004 10:49 AM

Come on anyone! I need that 60k servive and Cambelt change and MOT at under £599! Main Subaru Dealer only!

Anyone out there?

Pete

donutman 03 March 2004 04:36 PM

why not take it for it mot and ask the for a free service :) as they have checked most things

scoobyboy 03 March 2004 06:56 PM

there is if the garage have to sub contract it out had a big argument with our new owners over this...they won

pslewis 03 March 2004 11:17 PM

So? All this talk about, "You shouldn't be paying £700 for a 60K Service" is meaningless?

Unless I can have some Subaru Main Dealers names to check I can't verify that anyone actually gets it any cheaper at all!

Pete