ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Up pipe and CEL fix (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/305262-up-pipe-and-cel-fix.html)

Spooks 25 February 2004 08:13 PM

Up pipe and CEL fix

Due to the fact my decatted uppipe is knackered( long story) I need to replace it.What makes are there out there, how much should I be looking to spend. Any web sites or phone numbers would be great.
CEL fix would be for full decat( when I get around to fitting it)
Spooks

Ninnybobs 25 February 2004 09:06 PM

Spooks,

If you need a CEL fix for the Up-pipe, give me a PM

I have an MRT one, brand new, going cheap

Cheers

Martin

Spooks 27 February 2004 06:28 PM

Anyone else?
Spooks

Gidney&Knowlesy 27 February 2004 07:16 PM

Many out there though Hayward & Scott do a slip jointed version & can supply relevant cel fixes etc contact Ian on 01268 727256. Been suppliers to some of the most famous names out there.....

RB5_245 27 February 2004 08:26 PM

The CEL fix can be done using a resistor for a few pence from maplin, do a search fir it, failing that how about an aftermarket ECU :) what better excuse :D

Dave

JIM THEO 28 February 2004 06:41 PM

Use a 2,2 KOhm/0,5W resistor and you won't have problem!
JIM

NickAdams 29 February 2004 02:45 PM

The CEL fix is for the downpipe though and not the uppipe!!

RB5_245 29 February 2004 08:24 PM

Well Noticed :eek:

SCOOBYD00 01 March 2004 08:30 PM

Sorry to butt in guys, this 'cel fix' will this stop my CEL light flashing constantly having fitted a full decat turbo back?

Want to try this before replacing lambda probe.

Also When you say it's just a resistor can you tell me how this is actually fitted sorry very slow ..

Cheers

easyrider 01 March 2004 10:08 PM

I cant remember the size of the resistor-but a few people have been unpluggint the EGT for the up pipe and putting the resistor into the terminals in the plug.

The resistor/capacitor combination is for the lambda cel fix.

For what its worth-i recently decatted my 2001 and i havnt done the cel fix yet because the cel light hasnt come on!!!-ive even done a 100 mile journey and it still didnt light up when i was fully expecting it to!!!

SCOOBYD00 01 March 2004 10:54 PM

Easy rider - sorry - are their two different 'cel fixes' then or maybe I misread -

SCOOBYD00 01 March 2004 11:13 PM

This is exactly the same problem - but I have a MY98 .... is there a fix available for classics... is it the same?

The manufacturers have realised that most of us like to decat our turbo cars, which is bad for the environment and very naughty. So to spoil our fun, they have made it so that if the downpipe is replaced for one without a catalyst, the ECU gets to know about it via a sensor in the exhaust and it brings on the Check Engine Light. This is only a problem with Imprezas from MY01 On. However, there is a simple electronic fix that can allow the car to be decatted without the CEL coming on. It is simple to fit and inexpensive and will allow you to unleash a fair amount of horses from the flat four lump by using a good quality downpipe.

easyrider 02 March 2004 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SCOOBYD00
Easy rider - sorry - are their two different 'cel fixes' then or maybe I misread -

Yes-on the MY01/02 there are 2 fixes-

1.The EGT(exhaust gas temp) which is in the up pipe,uses the single resistor put into the EGT socket.Im not sure, but i think this isnt on the classics but dont quote me on that;) ,it is only needed if the EGT sensor fails and you dont want to buy a new one.

2.The fault code 403(or somthing like that) which is for "catalyst below efficiency" which can be caused through having a decat is taken from the rear sensor(just before the rear cat) can be remidied by fitting the resistor/capacitor combination into the wiring to the sensor.

I dont think you need to do this on the classics though(but dont quote me on it again;))

RICH WILD 02 March 2004 11:13 AM

Correct. You DON'T need CEL fixes for decatting pre01 cars.

A CEL coming on on a pre01 car after decatting is likely to be either the lambda probe has not been connnected back in properly or it has been damaged during removal and refitting.

There are 2 CEL fixes one for the decatted uppipe and one for the decatted downpipe. MRT do both versions. Available from us as UK agents.

The 2k2 ohm thing also seems to work too as a lower cost solution.

Rich

www.jap-innovations.co.uk

SCOOBYD00 02 March 2004 11:32 AM

Thanks guys, your responses are ideal. Just got to swap out the lambda now & test. Any test tips?

Thanks again