ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Which Coilovers are best Leda or Cusco? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/304843-which-coilovers-are-best-leda-or-cusco.html)

Scottdot 24 February 2004 02:45 PM

Which Coilovers are best Leda or Cusco?

Has anybody got experience of either of the above coilovers, which should I go for.

Its for a MY00 just for road use, no track days?

Cheers

Scott

TopBanana 24 February 2004 02:55 PM

Neither are really ideal for purely road use IMHO. The spring rates are very high and it'll just piss you off after a few weeks. Phone Powerstation and ask about their new suspension kit, very smooth riding and loads of grip... and based around sensible springs. Don't have experience of anything else

L1J 24 February 2004 05:40 PM

Ive just had the Powerstation kit fitted to my 98 UK Turbo, very happy with it. Car seems to absorb bumps much better and stay 'planted' on the road. Shocks on soft arent much harder than standard. One of the best mods I've made to the car so far.

madou 24 February 2004 08:36 PM

Neither Cusco nor Leda. Had Leda B, now safely in a skip

Trip Powerstation demonstrator as advised above

Fraser WRX 24 February 2004 08:43 PM

I have the cusco coilover kit fitted to my 93wrx, very stiff ride but imho I find it fine for daily driving, very good handling, just depends on what your looking for really and what your willing to put up with

madou 24 February 2004 08:59 PM

Spring rate chart to help you judge

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/t...ng/spring.html

Scottdot 24 February 2004 09:54 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, thats given me something to think about,

Thanks for the ratings chart I've got eibachs on the car at the moment so going by the chart the spring ratings are Front - 171, Rear - 91-188.

Does anybody know the rating on both the leda B and the cusco coilover for comparison.

I've got 2 young kids so I don't want anything too hard but could go slightly harder than the eibach's

Cheers

Scott

davyboy 24 February 2004 10:21 PM

You select your own spring rates when placing your order.

But if you don't do track days, why do you want it any firmer? Seems madness to spend all that cash.....maybe I am missing the point though?

Scottdot 24 February 2004 10:29 PM

Don't particularly need them any harder just want more grip for when the kids aren't in the car.

Scott

StickyMicky 25 February 2004 12:35 AM

my mates got cusco ones on his, he says his is ****e
to be honest
i think most coilovers are complete ****e for the uk roads unless you tweak them to your spec

ive been fiddleing with mine scince i got them and have ran out of things to fiddle, even on there softest setting there still over damped IMO
theres times where i feel like stickign them on ebay, and theres times when i use a good bit of deserted road and i love them

im running 200 fronts and 175 rears now and its still a bit bumpy,i find mines much better once you have sumspeed up, its just the round the doors thing where you feel all the little road imperfections :rolleyes:

dowser 25 February 2004 07:41 AM

Everything is a compromise - ideal track day settings will make your car much slower on bumpy b-roads.

Best road set-up I ever ran was adjustable Koni dampers with Eibach springs. Too soft for track work (exception for Nürburgring), perfect on road.

Richard

Scottdot 25 February 2004 03:32 PM

So is the general consensus that I should forget the coilovers, as I said i've got Eibach springs, also got whiteline solid drop links front and rear, whiteline rear antiroll bar and whiteline anti lift kit, so the car does handle pretty well as it is. I was also going for the bumpsteer and tracking mod, but was waiting to get the struts sorted out first.

Is it worth spending the extra if its never going to be on a track?

Scott

davyboy 25 February 2004 07:25 PM

Take your kids on hoilday with the cash.

Scottdot 25 February 2004 08:57 PM

But that would mean spending some quality time with the wife, and valentines day has been and gone.

TopBanana 26 February 2004 09:54 AM

Yeah you're probably best sticking with what you've got. The standard dampers are pretty good so long as you don't change the spring rates too much. It might be worth trying to find some STi suspension if you want something firmer.

IWatkins 27 February 2004 11:17 AM

www.astsuspensionuk.com would worth a look as well.

Not only are they really well made (I've had one in my hand) but there is so much confidence in them they have been fitted to the Type25. And many will know how well that car handles both on the road and on track.

Cheers

Ian

Hol 27 February 2004 11:54 AM

Ive got Ledas on mine with uprated springs and sensible damper settings. (10f and 7r, I think :confused: )

I also have the whiteline rear links, powerstation anti lift and polybush ARB bushes.

Its not sloppy and the ride is quite smooth, on all surfaces. No worse than my mates standard P1 30K miles.

But mine corners better ;)

I do have the infamous rear strut mount rattle though :(

Creepy 27 February 2004 02:53 PM

I have an AST suspension on my classic...

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=1697393&outx=600&oq=0

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=1697398&outx=600&oq=0

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=1697400&outx=600&oq=0

Love the ride, the "floating" feeling is gone, instead there is a firm but acceptable drive, it's just that I find the rear a little to "bumpy" over high speed bumps. You really feel connected to the road now...

Never want to go back to the original, because now you can really psh it on track (and road) as fast as you want....

Creepy

JIM THEO 27 February 2004 05:24 PM

The best coilovers regarding comfort are by far the DMS Golds, believe it or not they are better from the factory suspension even in our very very bumpy Greek roads and this is from personal experience from a friends MY02 STI!
I have been told also that Ohlins are very good but on the expensive side IMO and can't compare them with other options as new Scoobysport kit, KW, Ledas etc. In every case when you buy coilovers you accept that every few years they need rectification!
JIM

Creepy 27 February 2004 05:33 PM

Don't forget the price differnce between DMS/Ohlins and AST, Leda and Spax for example !!!

Creepy

Scottdot 27 February 2004 08:22 PM

Thanks again for the feedback guys but now I am really confussed of what to go for.

I think I'll just take the wife and kids on holiday as davyboy suggested.

Cheers

Scott

Creepy 27 February 2004 08:40 PM

Yeah,

Come on holiday to Belgium, lot's of gatso's, crazy cops and have a free testdrive mith my coilover equipped Subaru, LOL

Creepy

DuncanG 28 February 2004 12:16 PM

Creepy,

With these ASTs whats the clearance like between the spring platform and the wheel/tyre at the back? A pic would be nice if you can be bothered.

Do you know the spring rates?

Duncan

RichiB 28 February 2004 01:10 PM

Duncan:

What size wheels have you got?

You can have any spring rate you like. On the pre 01 cars we like to fit 230 fronts 175 rears

Rich

Creepy 28 February 2004 04:49 PM

I have springrates but in Nm : Front: 50/70/260 en Rear: 45/60/260

First number is springrate, then diameter and length....

Creepy