ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Scammell Scarab (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/304641-the-scammell-scarab.html)

unclebuck 23 February 2004 08:14 PM

The Scammell Scarab

I had a vague early childhood memory of three wheeled delivery vehicles operating from the local mainline railway station, but the memory was so vague that I thought maybe I'd imagined them. Then, lo and behold, on Salvage Squad tonight, one turns up for restoration. The Scammell Scarab as it was known were indeed used by British Rail exclusively for local deliveries. I'd always thought they were electric, like milk floats, but it turns out they were diesel powered.

Amazing, they *did* exist. Anybody else remember them? :)

http://www.3wheelers.com/ahscam1.jpg

UB:D

unclebuck 23 February 2004 08:19 PM

http://www.sharpo.co.uk/rally/oswest...Imgp6080tn.jpg

I love the indicators they make it look like a slug.

UB:D:D

AdrianFRST 23 February 2004 08:31 PM

There is a transport museum in Leyland, Lancs that has (or had) a couple.

Went there quite a few times but I used to run right past them and straight towards the Ford Supervan II :D

ajm 23 February 2004 08:36 PM

Amazing, they *did* exist. Anybody else remember them?
Nope sorry... bit before my time, ask pslewis! ;)

NotoriousREV 23 February 2004 09:01 PM

Before my time too, I was more of the Reliant Ant era which was clearly inspired by the Scarab.

M444GY 23 February 2004 09:05 PM

they were just on tv restorin one on salvage squad! quite interestin.

dsmith 23 February 2004 11:59 PM

Happened to be at the parents tonight and saw it. Dad started reminiscing of course ;)

Still cant quite get my head round Suggs presenting "Salvage Squad" though :D

Deano

greasemonkey 24 February 2004 12:06 AM

Can't get my head around the fact that Suggs still looks about 27, just as he did in 1982. Has he been sired by a vampire or wot? :confused:

As for Salvage Squad, what's happened to Jerry and Axel? I don't mind Claire in a "she's better looking than that gardening one" sort of way, but it's gone a bit quiet without the other two arguing with each other all the time...

New To Scoob 24 February 2004 07:57 AM

Can't get my head around the fact that Suggs still looks about 27, just as he did in 1982. Has he been sired by a vampire or wot?
How true, just noticed that :D

John.

douglasb 24 February 2004 09:25 AM

Anybody else remember them?
Yes! (very) early sixties and, as you say, mainly seen around BR stations/parcel depots.

Scoobychick 24 February 2004 09:39 AM

Blimey, just looked up Sugg's age and he's three years older than me, how come I haven't worn that well? Wonder what moisturiser he uses? ;) :D

I want Claire's job, what a fantastic way to make a living, getting all mucky and greasy up to your elbows in bits of old machinery, mmm, lovely :D

BOB.T 24 February 2004 12:40 PM

I missed the end cos some maniac rang me up ^^^^^^^:p

It was all filmed round here, we used to sometimes use Walkers for recon rads, they're quite good.

Has anyone else noticed that said bint's tops are getting lower in this series?:D

andrewdelvard 24 February 2004 12:45 PM

Don't remember those at all. I'm 37. How old are you UB?

greasemonkey 24 February 2004 03:36 PM

Has anyone else noticed that said bint's tops are getting lower in this series?
Not yet, although now you've mentioned it I'll have to watch last night's episode again, just to check...

Who says it's moisturiser Scoobychick? Maybe he bought a fountain of youth with the profits from the Madness albums?!

David Lock 24 February 2004 04:11 PM

Yep I can remember them just. One of the main Scammell factories was a couple of miles from my then family home in Rickmansworth. If anyone knows that area on the road from Ricky to Watford in the Moor Park direction brings you to Watford footie club (unless they have moved recently). Must have closed years ago. Probably a MacDonalds by now.

unclebuck 24 February 2004 04:21 PM

Don't remember those at all. I'm 37. How old are you UB?
I'm a *very* young 40 :D:D As I say it is a distant memory from every early childhood. They must have been phased out not long after.

Suggs does look in good shape I must agree. A lot better than Lee Hurst, he's just a freak :eek: What happed to the ginger speccy bloke that always used to lose his rag - thinking about it, he was beyond repair lol. Axel was a decent enough bloke though, wonder why they axed him.

UB

NotoriousREV 24 February 2004 05:19 PM

BTW, does anyone else use the word Scammell as a verb? Me and my mates use it to mean cut up as in "some bloke in a truck just scammelled me" or as a name for any big 4x4 "he was driving this big Scammell" It's a great word.

misty 24 February 2004 07:19 PM

There is a transport museum in Leyland, Lancs that has (or had) a couple.

Went there quite a few times
Do you hail from Leyland mateyboy??
dave

Leslie 26 February 2004 11:47 AM

I remember them very well UB, they used to use them at Walton on Thames railway station and I seem to think they used something similar to pull luggage trailers around on the big stations like Waterloo. Those may have been electric ones though. I am trying to remember the make of those three wheeler steam lorries too, I see a couple of those at our local steam fairs every year. And I am not going to divulge my age either :)

Les

Harry_Boy 26 February 2004 01:13 PM

Blimey - I remember these things, and I'm only 41!!! Must have been precocious in my youth! :D:D:D

John Catlin 26 February 2004 03:17 PM

Remember them well.

Also Foden steam lorries that Willments near Twickenham Rugby Ground used to run.