ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Calling all car valaters.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/303045-calling-all-car-valaters.html)

RiSKy 17 February 2004 12:07 PM

Calling all car valaters....

...basicaly i'm beeing made redundant (twice in 3 yrs :() from my current job, and i'm thinking of starting my own mobile valating service in Cambridgeshire.

I was just after as much advice as possible, start up costs? what type of van? where to get equipment? products?

Be honest even if it's, i wouldn't bother or sod off i've already got a valating business in Cambridgshire. Just want know what i'm getting myself into.....6 weeks and counting untill i leave.

Thanks in advance Roy ;)

SiCotty 17 February 2004 03:06 PM

If you want to go into car valeting then the best thing to do first would be to contact most of the companies in the area with car parks. We have a valeter almost full time at our premises and they must make a few £. He even charges more for people carriers and 4x4s. He charges about £15 for just a wash and vacuum with staggered pricing up to a full valet.

Pick on a compnay with a lot of BMW's etc in the carpark

47 NAT 17 February 2004 03:21 PM

I started a company about 18 months ago and its been flat out since. I started off with a '98 Transit SWB, 3.6Kva generator, p/washers, numatic shampoo cleaner, henry hoover, buffer, various brushes and other odds and sods. I have never advertised and all work is referalls and repeat business. I stood down from it last September as I'd had enough of it and went back into the building game. To date I have 3 vehicles and 5 workers and have left the day to day running to one of the boys to sort out. If need be I still work it, if someones off or on holiday.

Earnings are what you want to make them and there is plenty of work out there. On a good week I've earnt £1300 and a bad week could be £250. It really is money for old rope but very physical. The supplies cost on average less than £50 a month and Insurance for one van was approx £1250 for the year, but this included serivce indemnity & PLI.

If you need to know more feel free to email me or go on msn .....

Nath

RiSKy 17 February 2004 03:53 PM

Thanks for the replys, this all really helps.

Just realised i'm never going to get far working for someone else + want to be my own boss.

Roy ;)

Scooby96 17 February 2004 04:12 PM

I've considered this sort of thing and I might still. You could always set up as a mobile wheelie bin cleaner, locksmith - unfortunately all the franchises seem to cost in excess of £20k. I think dynolock are £70k :eek:

RiSKy 17 February 2004 04:17 PM

Yeah, last i knew Chips-away franchises where 30k +

I was always good at touch ups when i used to work QC at Mission electronics, just give me a can of clear lequer :p

Roy ;)

RiSKy 18 February 2004 02:15 PM

Back to topic, can anyone else offer any advise??

Thanks, Roy ;)

little miss fire 18 February 2004 03:24 PM

Risky

We need a good mobile valeter at work!!!! Our's lost his licence dur to drink driving, so he no longer comes anymore. Let me know if you start up, I'm based near Saffron Walden.

deanimus 18 February 2004 04:21 PM

You might have a bit more luck posting at www.startups.co.uk

Good luck anyway :)

RiSKy 18 February 2004 06:33 PM

little miss fire. Thanks, yeah i'll let you know. chances are u or i might make it to the next Cambridge meet ;) i'll make sure to intriduce myself. Any idea how much he used to charge??

deanimus. I'll have a look.

Thanks, Roy ;)

ProperCharlie 18 February 2004 06:46 PM

the guy that does our cars charges £25 for a half valet. for this he washes the outside and hoovers and cleans the inside. a full valet is £50, and for that you get wax, upholstery clean etc. i beleive these are fairly normal rates. he comes once a month - if you miss a month he charges you an extra £5 for the car being "extra dirty". v. good service IMO.

little miss fire 19 February 2004 10:28 AM

Risky

He used to charge £15 for outside wash and chamie, and hoover/surfaces cleaned inside if he got 6 or more cars. Anything less than 6 he used to charge £20.

Might make it to the next cambridge meet, in the Golf though, Scoob may be sold by then :(

RiSKy 08 March 2004 04:19 PM

BTTT ;)

Steve vRS 08 March 2004 09:05 PM

Daft question, but where do mobile valeters get the water from? When I wash my car I use gallons!

Steve

Nevetas 08 March 2004 09:07 PM

By using a hose

Mark Miwurdz 09 March 2004 09:07 AM

If the idea of a franchise interests you, this was in the business section of the Daily Telegraph yesterday. That part of the site is under construction at present but there is a number for you to ring.

Cheers
Kav