ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Magnex...Good or Bad? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/302800-magnex-good-or-bad.html)

coulty 16 February 2004 05:02 PM

Magnex...Good or Bad?

I want to replace the crappy big bore exhaust on my sti and i have been recommended a magnex downpipe, centre (unsilenced) and a 3.5 straight exit. My questions are: Is the stainless of a high quality? and will a magnex be loud? (i want to sound like the burble from a afterburner or something similar)

Any help would be great!
Stuart

Delboy2 16 February 2004 05:50 PM

YHPM ;)

blitz imp reza 16 February 2004 05:53 PM

Nothing wrong with magnex, not exactly the loudest around though personal choice if thats good or bad.
Why not stick an afterburner/vortex on though if thats the sound you want?

Andy Murdoch 17 February 2004 09:45 PM

I currently have my second purchased Magnex half system on my STi, I did buy a Milltek but was mega unimpressed with the quality, so it was returned. The Magnex on the other hand is very good quality (T304 SS), the hangars are turned bar as opposed to a crude welded washer and bolt. The fit was perfect and a new fitting kit of bolts was supplied.

The sound is in the medium range I would say but IMHO the Blitz type would soon get very tiresome especially on a long run. The Magnex does make a good sound when the turbo comes on.

In all very good value for money.

ALi-B 17 February 2004 10:06 PM

Can't fault the Magnex a good quality system, good quality materials, well made and good fit...They even pack instructions on how to fit the downpipe...with a realistic time scale of how long it takes - I doubt any other exhaust manuafacturers would bother to do that.

JamieMiller 17 February 2004 10:55 PM

I have a 2nd hand Magnex twin dump pipe waiting to go on my car. Just waiting for some exhaust wrap from Demon Tweeks. I'll let you know how I get on.

urbanmyth 18 February 2004 08:24 AM

Hi m8 i have a exhaust & down pipe

Scooby Sport down pipe and Magnex 6 x 4 back box and mid section
4 months old (cat free).

When fitted to my UK300 with PPP it added 25Bhp
Will fit all MY01

£250.00

mail me on
marks@urbanmyth.net

Jim_B 18 February 2004 11:32 AM

I have a Magnex 3.5'' back box and a resonated centre - both bought off scoobynet 2nd hand. The quality is good - still looks almost new after a bit of polish and the b/b must be 4 or 5 yrs old. As far as noise levels - I understand the Magnex to be one of the quieter b/bs. Certainly very unobtrusive with the resonated centre from inside the car and loud enough fromt he outside to tell its a scooby!

Damo666 18 February 2004 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_B
I have a Magnex 3.5'' back box and a resonated centre - both bought off scoobynet 2nd hand. The quality is good - still looks almost new after a bit of polish and the b/b must be 4 or 5 yrs old. As far as noise levels - I understand the Magnex to be one of the quieter b/bs. Certainly very unobtrusive with the resonated centre from inside the car and loud enough fromt he outside to tell its a scooby!

How much you looking for Jim!? I might be interested!

Damo

Jim_B 18 February 2004 07:53 PM

Sorry for any confusion.. They are not for sale - still on my car, was just commenting on the quality of the Magnex and the noise levels.

911 18 February 2004 08:25 PM

I endorse all the above on Magnex. Mine came off a car which had traversed a field on its belly and its roof, system fitted fine, no probs. If anything, the tube clamps are a bit weak. Certainly buy another (secondhand)!

muly 19 February 2004 12:53 AM

yeah i got a magnex on my93 wrx ,and they are well made,not loud ,probs sounds no louder than standard ,just nice burble from the engine