ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Fitting Anti-Lift kit and rear sway bar links (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/30263-fitting-anti-lift-kit-and-rear-sway-bar-links.html)

GavinP 19 November 1999 12:07 AM

Busy weekend...ALK, rear sway bar links and front brake discs to fit!

From the people who have fitted the ALK and sway bar links - I would welcome any hints or tips on making this job as easy as possible.

I also read in "Training WRX" that it is a good idea to get the rear anti-roll bar bushes changed for poly ones - any comments on this ?

Thanks

Gavin

hutton_d 19 November 1999 12:28 AM

I have the ALK and poly bushes fitted (MY96 - UK). I have also removed the links several times.

These are dead easy. Just drive the car onto tweo of those small ramps you can get from Halfords (just makes it easier to get underneath). Make sure you don't jack up on eside of the car first to undo the AR bar - you need to have noth sides level! Then it's just a matter of undoing a few bolts. Dead easy when you see them.

As for the AL kit hmmmmm. I screwed up by wanting to fit a poly bush to the front wishbone as well. And I didn't have a bal joint breaker. Ended up getting Subaru to do the job.

BUT if you just replace the rear bush with the ALK then just follow the MRT/Whiteline instructions and all is fine.

Good luck - it IS worth it.

Dave

firefox 19 November 1999 12:35 AM

Hi there...

As has been said..the rear links are easy... but you might find that its a tight fit into the bracket on the arm..... Dont put the washers in the wrong place...

As for the ALK.. it is easy....but you might find that the mounting holes dont match up with the car.... you might need to slightly enlarge them (file them out...its only aluminium).

I find the ALK superb.. it has definately reduced the lift..

J.

GavinP 19 November 1999 03:29 PM

Thanks Dave/Firefox,

One further question - did you go on to make any further changes to your car's suspension set-up - or did these tweaks do the trick ?

Cheers,

Gavin

hutton_d 19 November 1999 05:39 PM

Hi Gavin,

Suspension-wise to my MY96 I've done:

AL kit + poly bush in the forward wishbone bush
poly bushes in front AR bar
poly bushes in rear AR bar
20mm (MY97 onewards) rear AR bar fitted

Plus I have had ss washers made up to fit either side of the new poly bushes at the back and front. You'll see why if you have a look. Plus 'turned over' the clamps for the AR bar bushe at both ends 'cos they have a habit of coming out if driven hard and this was a no-cost *possible* fix.

Next up is new springs/dampers 'cos mine are lowered Eibach springs on standard dampers and, marginal at best, they are now 3 years old and knackered!

The AR bar bushes and AL kit make a huge difference though. I hate all that roly poly stuff around corners!

Cheers

Dave

firefox 19 November 1999 08:06 PM

Howdy...

Running Leda C, with helper springs... Poly bushes... ALK... Uprate roll bar links...

I cant tell the difference... *I'm like that*

I think my Peugeot 306DT handles just as well... lol

But to be honest.. I think its because I havent got the suspension set up right... I havent spent any time fine tuning it.. I just put it on... *ho hum*

J.

ps - My uprated roll bar bushes fit fine...and have statyed in place... http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

kalg01 19 November 1999 10:08 PM

J.,

I am also like that. Had Leda C fitted today and the best I can say is I think it is disappointing. So fine tuning should get it from a disappointment to a tremendous improvement? Or does it really need a few hundred miles to bed in?
I was shocked to find out I still had the front wheels spinning on a virtually dry road! Steering is still twitchy. Dampers: F6, R5.

Jerry

Ian Cook 19 November 1999 11:34 PM

I dont have Leda on the car, but know enough people who do, it really does need road miles for the valves to bed in, it should be left on the settings Leda put on until its done at least 100 miles AFAIK, then you can start tweaking front and rear settings to get the feeling you want from it.

BTW All suspension will need time for the valves to bed in !

GavinP 20 November 1999 05:27 PM

Thanks for the advice guys - I cheated and got them fitted the same time as some new tyres (and discs) - crawling under the car in the rain didn't seem very appealing ... especially as the car was in the air minus the wheels.

I am still driving gingerly allowing the tyres and discs to bed in but you can feel the difference already!

Thanks again,

Gavin