ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   ECU reset - what r we doing wrong ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/301590-ecu-reset-what-r-we-doing-wrong.html)

SCOOBY TOWERS 12 February 2004 01:36 PM

ECU reset - what r we doing wrong ?

Just been out lunch time tinkering (as you do :) ) on my mates STI 5.
I fitted a new MAF, which has cured its idle hunting problem, and he asked me to reset the ECU.
Connected the black to black and Green to green connectors under the dash with the ignition off.
Turned i1gnition to stage 3 then pressed the loud pedel to full, back to half then off.
Fired her up and drove off boost but no flashing CEL light :confused:
I've done my Uk 99 before with no bother (cel in 100 yrds) so don't think I've missed anything.
Car also started on the test cycle (fans and clicking solinoid etc) before we did the pedal bit.

Anybody any ideas ?

Chris

zhastaph 12 February 2004 01:44 PM

I'm not sure, but I'm sure I read on here the other day that when they had a knackered lambda and when they reset the ECU it would take quite a bit of driving before it would throw up the CEL code, then after having replaced the Lambda he was suprised how quick the flashing all clear CEL light popped up.

SCOOBY TOWERS 12 February 2004 01:50 PM

Cheers zhastaph,
Better tell him to get another 100 dabs ready then :D

SCOOBY TOWERS 12 February 2004 02:28 PM

Any other explanations / ideas ?
Cheers
Chris

Andy McCord 12 February 2004 02:29 PM

any other thoughts anyone, as its gunna be my £100 dabs :D

The_Judge 12 February 2004 02:38 PM

Chris/Andy, did the CEL flash at all? Or did you give up?! I believe I'm the person to whom zhastaph is referring. MY00 UK, the longest I've ever had to wait was 10 minutes for a reset. But having replaced both MAF and lambda, it now resets in a second or two. Keep trying, it should reset eventually...!

zhastaph 12 February 2004 02:43 PM

Yeah sorry, reading what you posted and Da Judge, I think you misunderstood what I meant.

The CEL flashes the all clear when the ECU has worked out everything is ok with the engine etc etc, if there is something wrong, or maybe something iffy then it may take longer to either throw up an all clear or throw up an error code.

So what i actually meant, was you're probably going to need to run it for a bit more than a hundred yards before either the all clear is given or an error code is thrown up.

:D

The_Judge 12 February 2004 02:49 PM

Da Judge
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/egypt.gif

zhastaph 12 February 2004 02:49 PM

SCOOBY TOWERS 12 February 2004 02:58 PM

Cheers ! :)
Andy,
Give me the keys and I'll run it around for a bit - all in the name of science of course :D

Andy McCord 12 February 2004 03:03 PM

so what are we going to do know, reset it just B4 i go home??? so i assume its not going to flash now as we have disconnected it?

NelsonUK 12 February 2004 03:21 PM

Was the car properly warmed up before you tried an ECU reset ?

Andy McCord 12 February 2004 03:33 PM

no it wasnt, stone cold then started up & driven,

Mal26 12 February 2004 03:47 PM

Need to have the car warmed up prior to reset

SCOOBY TOWERS 12 February 2004 03:47 PM

Ahh, another good reason to give me the keys ;)
I'll bring it back nice and warm - maybe even glowing :D

ianch 12 February 2004 07:03 PM

did my my95 wrx the other day tested for faults with just the 2 black plugs came up all clear. then did ecu reset took car for a drive took over a mile for light to flash to say it had reset which i thought was a long way so i performed another ecu reset and this time it flashed the ok as soon as i was off the drive?

SCOOBY TOWERS 13 February 2004 11:26 AM

Thanks for the advise !
Just got back from trying again and CEL code 32 has come up (oxygen sensor) - bang on diagnostics via the web ;) :)
Thanks Again
Chris