ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Petrol Gulper?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/301581-petrol-gulper.html)

Lovegroover 12 February 2004 01:17 PM

Petrol Gulper??

Hi all, could really do with some advice, so i came to the experts. I really really wanna buy a scooby, looking at prob a turbo '97uk spec.
The only thing is i do alot of miles about 400 a week! This will be my only car, but most of the route is either coasting at 80mph or country roads (FUN).
What kind of MPG can i expect to see, with a standard (apart from stainless and air filter of course).
Cheers for any advice, from a soon to be scooby driver. :)

cdco 12 February 2004 01:25 PM

Prepare to be bankrupt currently only getting 260 miles from a tank (approx 55 ltrs MY00) last monbth cost me £250 in juice alone doing Mways and twisties........ Note to self get a girl friend nearer home!

OllyK 12 February 2004 01:26 PM

MY00 UK Turbo - averaged 22 MPG since I got it in Dec 03. Mostly A / B road stuff with the occasional blast on the motorway.

Best 26 MPG
Worst 16 MPG

SiPie 12 February 2004 01:31 PM

Over 26months my MY99 impreza only running circa 255bhp recorded an average of 16.7mpg

Worst was 9mpg and this was NOT on a track day :D

Enjoy

greasemonkey 12 February 2004 01:31 PM

What kind of MPG can i expect to see, with a standard (apart from stainless and air filter of course).
If you floor it, you can concievably get single figures per gallon. If you drive with a right foot like a feather, you can crack 30mpg on the motorway. Realistically for a mix of urban/motorway/fun you can expect somewhere in the mid teens to low 20's.

BTW, why would you have a stainless steel air filter on it? The best/safest ones to use are good panel filters, the STi, K&N and Green products being about the best.

SiDHEaD 12 February 2004 01:36 PM

I do 80 miles a day commute in my scoob. Costs about tenner a day if i don't cane it!

Andy

Lovegroover 12 February 2004 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
If you floor it, you can concievably get single figures per gallon. If you drive with a right foot like a feather, you can crack 30mpg on the motorway. Realistically for a mix of urban/motorway/fun you can expect somewhere in the mid teens to low 20's.

BTW, why would you have a stainless steel air filter on it? The best/safest ones to use are good panel filters, the STi, K&N and Green products being about the best.

No, sorry i meant stainless exhaust, and an air filter.

Lovegroover 12 February 2004 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
I do 80 miles a day commute in my scoob. Costs about tenner a day if i don't cane it!

Andy

A tenner a day isn't to bad, at the moment i do just over £40 in my 2.0 Pug 306 per week.
Although you seem to be doing alot better mpg wise than everyone else?
:confused:

Andy Porter 12 February 2004 01:51 PM

400 miles a week ? I do 350 in MY 94 and it costs about £70, work it out before you buy m8, they aint cheap to run.

Lovegroover 12 February 2004 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Porter
400 miles a week ? I do 350 in MY 94 and it costs about £70, work it out before you buy m8, they aint cheap to run.

What sort of BHP do you run??

SidewaysMatt 12 February 2004 02:12 PM

Just an idea...

I do 550 miles a week commuting. To stay this side of bankruptcy, I have my own solution:

[flame suit]
Buy a cheap as chips, sh@gged out old diesel for commuting, and keep your scoob for fun
[/flame suit]

My personal recommendation: a Citroen Xantia TD. Niiiiice :D

scooby808 12 February 2004 02:21 PM

I do 90 miles per day up M20 and back, nomally sit at 70-85 MPH and use normal unleaded in my standard MY00 UK spec scooby and can get three days travel out of it, nominally 260-280 mile from the tank.

Full tank at monent costs about £38, so about £50 per week and thats if I dont blat it about when I get to some A roads, then it really falls and I'm lucky to get 220-230!
My old VW Passat 18T used to get a little more out of the same cost but borring as F*ck in comparison.

Wouldn't go back for anything, although may have to start selling furniture in house to subsidise the scoob!

SiDHEaD 12 February 2004 04:24 PM

As per Scooby808 the figures I gave only apply to not booting it on the motorway (stay under 3000k revs), Only half my journey is motorway however. I also have a UK turbo, so run on normal unleaded which is 8p cheaper than Optimax.

I must admit I waste a lot of fuel at the weekend blasting about, and I do stick a tank of Optimax in every now and then to clean things out (or for trackdays).

Yes I could buy a crap car for commuting - but then I'd be thinking "hmm i'd rather be sitting in a scoob" :D

Andy

Brun 12 February 2004 04:49 PM

Even if you crack 25 mpg a day, you are still gonna be looking at £58 a week.
Don't forget a scoob needs a service every 7.5k which you will see in just over 4 months as long as you only use the car for work, so budget for £1k servicing a year :)

Mungo 12 February 2004 05:18 PM

Not great mpg

As most people, I get about 240ish miles from £40 of SUL.
Best is just over 300 (during the petrol crisis - permanently off-boost :-()
Worst is just under 100 (on track :-))

Lovegroover 12 February 2004 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brun
Even if you crack 25 mpg a day, you are still gonna be looking at £58 a week.
Don't forget a scoob needs a service every 7.5k which you will see in just over 4 months as long as you only use the car for work, so budget for £1k servicing a year :)

Ah ha, well my contract at my current job terminates in 6 months then i'll be working close to home again, so long term this is not a problem. Short term it seems it definitely is!!

SidewaysMatt 12 February 2004 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
Yes I could buy a crap car for commuting - but then I'd be thinking "hmm i'd rather be sitting in a scoob" :D

Got to admit after I ditched the Xantia in favour of the scoob for today's commute. In fact I nearly got to work on time today :D