ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Advice on Hayward and Scott Downpipe... Does it sound tinny/raspy un-lagged?... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/301510-advice-on-hayward-and-scott-downpipe-does-it-sound-tinny-raspy-un-lagged.html)

cinders 12 February 2004 09:06 AM

Advice on Hayward and Scott Downpipe... Does it sound tinny/raspy un-lagged?...

Just wondering if it's worth lagging the new downpipe I have just received for my UK MY98?...

I'm just a bit worried it might sound a bit tinny/raspy and I know lagging the pipe normally gets rid of this.

What do you guys think?...

Can't wait to get the damn thing fitted Monday along with my de-cat centre pipe, extra driveability here I come!.....

Matt.

Andy McCord 12 February 2004 09:08 AM

it is a bit tinny, certainly louder, personally i love it

willy 12 February 2004 09:11 AM

Yes I noticed it is now slightly tinny when on part throttle... its not loud though.

Willy

Stonkin 12 February 2004 09:18 AM

can someone please explain what lagging means, do u wrap the down pipe in something?

cinders 12 February 2004 09:30 AM

Is there any danger to lagging the downpipe? ie. excess build up of heat in the downpipe near the turbo?...

Jim_B 12 February 2004 10:00 AM

My H&S sounds a bit tinny from cold - but the sound seems to change or become less noticeable when it is warmed up. Not sure about the lagging - thought of it myself but never got round to it.

zhastaph 12 February 2004 10:23 AM

Ok, I fitted an H&S downpipe, then took it off and lagged it :rolleyes:

The benifits of lagging are;
  • Quietens down the noise generated by the downpipe. The standard one fitted to the Scoobs is made of cast iron and has a heatshield around it, when going to a decat you have a single stainless steel pipe, so they are a lot noisier from the outside. The lag does a good job to deaden some of this sound.
  • Keeps 'under the bonnet' temperatures down.
  • People say that the downpipe is kept hotter and so the gases move quicker and so more bhp - if this is the case then it's so small that's it's not noticeable
  • Oh, and it helps promote banging from the exhuast cos the down pipe is kept hotter :D

If you are about to fit you down pipe then I'd definately recomend wrapping it cos if you decided to later then it becomes a pain.

cinders 12 February 2004 11:36 AM

Where's the best place to get the lagging material from?....

wrxmania 12 February 2004 11:46 AM

Probably the danger of lagging Cinders is just that - your car may end up in Cinders?!? Hahah hohoho lol.

OK, wasn't that funny, just wanted to use lol in a posting!

NelsonUK 12 February 2004 03:19 PM

Cinders - I recently went down the decat d/p route and used this company for some Cooltek Exhaust Wrap and metal ties www.proven-products.co.uk

Good prices and very good delivery service - oh yea I went for 10 metres of the stuff and just had enough :)

scooby-k 12 February 2004 04:36 PM

cinders If I was you I'd go for 20 or 30 metres otherwise you have to space it out too much. I used just over 20m but bought 30m with vat and del cost £56 but definately worth it.
ken