ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Decaf coffee - are there any good ones? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/300923-decaf-coffee-are-there-any-good-ones.html)

TelBoy 10 February 2004 01:07 PM

Decaf coffee - are there any good ones?

Recommendations, anyone?

I'm currently suffering Nescafe's effort, and all it reminds me of is that turgid "Camp" liquid coffee stuff. Surely there's a half-decent substitute out there..??

ProperCharlie 10 February 2004 01:12 PM

considering what nescafe's caffeinated coffee tastes like (ie undrinkable), i dread to think what their decaf is like.

you can get decaf ground coffee but i've never tried it.

SiPie 10 February 2004 01:13 PM

Telboy

From memory the Kenco stuff ain't too bad.... although it's been a while since I drank the stuff as the Caffeine addiction bit back :)

Cheers
Si

TelBoy 10 February 2004 01:17 PM

Ta so far. The question i should have added;

Does drinking decaf coffee go at least *some* way to fulfilling the water drinking quotas we all read so much about? Or is there still stuff in decaf which makes it "inelligible" in this sense?

chaos. 10 February 2004 01:18 PM

Whats the point in decaf?:confused:

I remember when I tried to get addictied to the caffine in coffee.. I drank about 7 cups of it one after the other with about 3 spoons of coffee for ages but it never worked:(

I can smoke loads of joints and not get addicted to the tobacco, guess Ive got a non addictive personality;)

TelBoy 10 February 2004 01:20 PM

I'm not "addicted" to caffeine, but it's still not exactly healthy.

Just trying to lower my intake....

milo 10 February 2004 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by chaos.
Whats the point in decaf?:confused:

presumably to allow you the taste of coffee without the caffeine, or was that a trick question? ;)

LG John 10 February 2004 01:26 PM

although it's been a while since I drank the stuff as the Caffeine addiction bit back
Is there anything you haven't been addicted too ;) :p

SiPie 10 February 2004 01:32 PM

Cheers for that Kenny :p

Amazingly enough booze is one that I managed to keep at arms length ;)

Heroin is just so 90's, so binned that too. Never taken an E, amphetamines or anything other than dope mate...gambling was restricted to fruit machines and I was quite addicted to driving my scoob but I reckon a heroin habit, coupled with a crack cocaine habit would still of proven cheaper ;)

Quite addicted to food at the moment and I just can't seem to give that one up ;)

ProperCharlie 10 February 2004 01:47 PM

Tel -AFAIK only unmolested water counts towards the 2.5l or how ever much we are supposed to imbibe. so i would say: have a proper cup of coffee, and then drink some water.

:)

Nicci 10 February 2004 01:56 PM

try 'Illy' decaf, but its not instant coffee

milo 10 February 2004 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Ta so far. The question i should have added;

Does drinking decaf coffee go at least *some* way to fulfilling the water drinking quotas we all read so much about? Or is there still stuff in decaf which makes it "inelligible" in this sense?

yes there is still stuff in decaf that can dehydrate - it's called caffeine ;) even in decaf there is still SOME caffeine (granted just a few mg per cup.. instead of around 100).

also bear in mind there are two ways decaf coffee is made. one way is via chemical treatment. this concerns me personally as there is still some of the chemical left after it's "cleaned off".

further i saw a study a while back (sorry cant remember a reference to it) which claimed that decaf coffee raises cholestoral. the results were inconclusive, but there were concerns.

id stick to filtered water personally.

everything is relative tho of course... no point in worrying about a few mg of caffeine if u go out drinking alcohol.

Redkop 10 February 2004 03:55 PM

Kenco is the best, followed closely by Sainsbury's Decaff Gold Roast.

Chaos. the point is...... some people have no choice but to drink decaff if they suffer from migraines and other health issues :rolleyes:

Markus 10 February 2004 04:08 PM

verry good point there oh red like one.

Chaos, drink more caffine based things, please, then get so hyper you go outside and play in the traffic or on a railway track

Mice_Elf 10 February 2004 04:11 PM

We use Kenco's decaf at home. Although the Uno:Uno coffee "Without the Buzz" is really delicious. :)

SiPie 10 February 2004 04:17 PM

Chaos, drink more caffine based things, please, then get so hyper you go outside and play in the traffic or on a railway track
LOL @ Markus :)

Mice_Elf 10 February 2004 04:17 PM

I read somewhere that only pure water goes towards the water amout we're supposed to drink daily and that for every cup of coffee, you have to drink about half a litre to flush the coffee out of your system, or something... :S

blair 10 February 2004 04:40 PM

>Decaf coffee - are there any good ones?

No.

Although the Douwe Egberts decaf filter is just about drinkable

NACRO 10 February 2004 04:49 PM

agreed no such thing as a good decaf coffee, in fact no such thing as a good instant coffee. If you didn't grind the beans yourself, then make coffee don't bother.

Mice_Elf 10 February 2004 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by NACRO
agreed no such thing as a good decaf coffee, in fact no such thing as a good instant coffee. If you didn't grind the beans yourself, then make coffee don't bother.

You are such a ray of sunshine, aren't you, NACRO? :D Always happy and chirpy! :D

ProperCharlie 10 February 2004 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mice_Elf
You are such a ray of sunshine, aren't you, NACRO? :D Always happy and chirpy! :D

but here i agree with the occasionally lugubrious NACRO.

coffee is made by grinding coffee beans and then adding just-off-the-boil water to the resulting powder. kenya AA or pico cristobal are among my favorite beans. i would rather not drink coffee at all than drink instant coffee.

weapon69 10 February 2004 07:26 PM

I drink m+s decaf coffee:) Tastes good to me:D

NACRO 10 February 2004 08:19 PM

Proper Charlie wins my interesting word of the week award with "lugubrious", not enough stuff of that calibre on scoobynet IMHO. Not sure I agree that it applies to me though.

si325i 10 February 2004 08:27 PM

imo carte noir is the best, and ive tried the decaf its good too, but why? it's a bit like vegies who want to eat vegi burgers? just get some beefburgers it make sense you know.

ProperCharlie 10 February 2004 09:43 PM

possibly lugubrious isn't the right word - it was the best i could think of at the time :)

Leslie 11 February 2004 06:19 PM

Kenco is pretty good, I quite like it in fact.

Les