ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   cityrover - disgrace (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/300238-cityrover-disgrace.html)

bloke 08 February 2004 12:02 AM

cityrover - disgrace

Happened to be at my local rover dealer and looked over one of these. Been trying to keep my prejudices re its Tata heritage at bay but...

Looks like a turd. Appalling build quality all too obvious. Feeble specification. Not even that cheap. Could only have been signed off by Stevie Wonder.

Haven't seen one on the road yet or the just as crap Streetwise.

Shame as some of the MG stuff looks good, but how do they expect us to to take it seriously when they produce this crap?

B :(:(

imlach 08 February 2004 12:31 AM

Yes, I pity the Rover dealers having to punt this one......

The new Panda trounces it, and Fiat always do small cars very well - it's cheaper than the Rover too!!

The Rover has NO showroom appeal whatsoever - the Panda is a cheeky looking thing, and pretty well done.

Rover should have stayed out of the supermini market altogether if that was all they could come up with. Strange eh - India used to take our old cast-off Rover production lines, and now the reverse is true!!!

Sad.

Petem95 08 February 2004 11:55 AM

The whole Rover range bar the 75 is pretty feeble TBH. 25/45 should have been replaced long ago. The new MGTF looks a bit odd and probably isnt as good as its rivals. That MG "supercar" is no doubt quick, but how much is it, £70k or something? I dont see who in their right-mind would buy one them.

Cant blame them for trying another supermini as the Metro no doubt did well for them, but the CityRover is only going to damage their image furher. The company wont last long unless it gets it act together very soon.

NACRO 09 February 2004 07:23 AM

How can you be so unpatriotic?

Perhaps because MGR is a company run largely for the benefit of those that started the new company, seems to be treading water but still sinking and has produced some of the worst "new" cars to come onto the market recently (streetwise+cityrover). The cityrover is a disaster, an overpriced disaster as well.
Who on earth thought that an indian budget hatch would be able to compete against a good modern design from Europe or Japan? They need shooting.

Needleess to say I agree with petem95's comments about the range as a whole, BMW's 75 is still the only semi-decent car they make.

MooseRacer 09 February 2004 07:41 AM

I too wonder about releasing the sh1tyRover.

That sector of the market is one of the keenest, with some really good cars on offer. It would take something special - and therefore a huge development budget - to compete, so why are they bothering? Who in their right mind would pay over £1k more for the Rova over a new Fiat Panda?

Very strange.

sonu 09 February 2004 03:38 PM

Basically Rover must be making a big mark-up on this car. Anyone know how much they cost in India?

Thanks

Sonu

RichWalk 09 February 2004 03:43 PM

Agree with the above, but I wouldnt pay £1 for a Fiat Panda!

Dracoro 09 February 2004 03:45 PM

There will always be people who will buy it because it's 'british' :rolleyes: (daft really, i mean how many people buy british stereos, microwaves, clothes etc.) and fair play to Rover for fleecing these silly beggars with a car that is far worse than all the competition. I wonder how much a rover costs to make compared to a 307/golf/focus etc.?

Reffro 09 February 2004 05:04 PM

Just out of curiousity I checked the price of a top-spec Tata Indica, and it was £5300 OTR in India, including 32% car tax and 12% sales tax........