ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Where can I get a car battery / how to tell what is draining it (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/299582-where-can-i-get-a-car-battery-how-to-tell-what-is-draining-it.html)

Dracoro 05 February 2004 08:49 PM

Where can I get a car battery / how to tell what is draining it

apart from halfords? Or are halfords the best price?

Need one for an my95 vauxhall Omega 2.5v6.

I'm assuming the battery is knackered (it's a size too small for a start!) although the car was not really used for 8 months and I think the dealer has just bunged a cheapo one in.

The car is charging it very well (been tested) but it drains out after a few days non usage. car is standard and has factory security and stereo. lights are not left on etc. Is there a 'device' to test if something is using the battery while the car is not in use.

ajm 05 February 2004 08:52 PM

The easiest test is simply to disconnect the battery and see if it holds its charge. The most likely explanation is that the battery is fubarred however!

C h a z 05 February 2004 10:23 PM

I got coaught out like this with a faulty catch on the glove box. Kept leaving the light on, took ages to find:(

Dracoro 06 February 2004 01:09 PM

Anyone know where I can get a charge indicator? (i.e. a device to connect to the battery to see what charge it is holding)

Nevetas 06 February 2004 01:11 PM

In my Landrover I use ULTIMA batteries.

They are the dogs danglies, bullet proof (trust me Ive tried)

Mine went 1 month without a drive, and started on the first turn of the key.

Bit more pricey, but worth it.

TopBanana 06 February 2004 03:19 PM

You could put an ammeter in series with the battery. Don't try and start the car though, you'll fry the thing

Dracoro 06 February 2004 03:55 PM

Think it does need a new battery.

So I phone round. most places want £60/£70.
Phone Vauxhall expecting the worst, £40! result, although the parts guy didn't know exactly which battery it was that should be fitted and suggested I look at another omega to check! :eek: Shouldn't these guys know what I should have in my car?!!!! Will phone another dealer to see if they know any better :rolleyes:

Ian D 07 February 2004 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=Dracoro]Think it does need a new battery.

If the new battery has the same problem, put an ammeter in series with the battery with everything off, doors closed etc. The meter should read up to about 40 or 50 miiliamps max (the normal amount for alarms/immobilisers). If it is higher (even 100 milliamps) then the battery will drain. Next get in the car and pull-out/push-in each fuse in turn until the amperage drops to the correct level, then you know which circuit is incorrectly draining the battery and you can investigate it.