ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   a few internet related questions (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/297584-a-few-internet-related-questions.html)

jono400 30 January 2004 06:56 PM

Okay folks the big change is on !! have decided to go for tiscali broadband at £20 per month ( 256kbps ) a big step up ( or I hope ) from my ntl dial up connection, so any help with any off the following would be most helpful !!

1/ this 256kbps level off broadband,any good for music / film type downloads ?? roughly speaking how long to download an album, etc?? is this speed actually acceptable for this type off downloading ??

2/ have a dial up account with ntl world just now, and have had for a number off years now, anyone know what the procedure is off canceling the contract with them is ??

3/ seeing as my ntl e-mail address is and has been my only e-mail add. since starting out on the web, is it possible to still use this address if not actualy still signed up with ntl ?? will my new provider service allow ntl e- mail to be received ??

4/ with my new b/band connection it would be great if any telephone type calls could be made thru this connection, is it possible ?? any better than with the 56k dial up connection ?? ie. without the ve____ry long delay / echo, echo, echo !! between each end off the call !!

lastly !! using the free zonealarm firewall, good enough for a b/band connection ??

thats it !! thanks for any help / advice given on any off the above, would certainly be appreciatted !!

cheers,
john...

Mr.Cookie 30 January 2004 07:06 PM

1/ this 256kbps level off broadband,any good for music / film type downloads ?? roughly speaking how long to download an album, etc?? is this speed actually acceptable for this type off downloading ??

that will be about 30k/s or 1.8mb/minute

2/ have a dial up account with ntl world just now, and have had for a number off years now, anyone know what the procedure is off canceling the contract with them is ??

1 month iirc

3/ seeing as my ntl e-mail address is and has been my only e-mail add. since starting out on the web, is it possible to still use this address if not actualy still signed up with ntl ?? will my new provider service allow ntl e- mail to be received ??

not unless your changing to ntl broadband or keep paying the original account

4/ with my new b/band connection it would be great if any telephone type calls could be made thru this connection, is it possible ?? any better than with the 56k dial up connection ?? ie. without the ve____ry long delay / echo, echo, echo !! between each end off the call !!

Tiscalli is adsl, which uses phone line but allows a phone to be plugged in at used at same time, still pay for the normal calls you make

[Edited by Mr.Cookie - 1/30/2004 7:29:42 PM]