ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Crouching Tiger - Hidden Dragon. Any good? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/297042-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-any-good.html)

drumsterphil 30 January 2004 08:19 AM

Well, I thought Moulin Rouge was good............;)

civictyper 30 January 2004 10:41 AM

There will always be mixed views but if you like Chinese/martial arts films that are more folklore biased then it's a truly great film IMO.

The story is excellent IMO as is the production which is something that cannot be said of Jackie Chan or Jet Li movies. Sure the flying in trees thing is fantasy but no more than Bruce Lee taking on 50 blokes and surviving or Jet Li living in multiple parallel universes :eek:

Probably best to borrow the movie first before splashing out though as you might not like it.

Nimbus 30 January 2004 10:51 AM

Well, I'm not that into martial arts stuff actually. I thought it would be something interesting to see though as I do like a good fantasy/adventure story.

I know the costs is not much, but I do calculate it in "lunches". IE £6 = deep fill all-day-breakfast sarni + crips and kitkat for 2 DAYS!!

mmm still a tough one to call... Is it dubbed or subtitled (I'm assuming the latter)...

chiark 30 January 2004 10:59 AM

Watched 20 minutes of it, then had to turn it off. Steaming pile of **** IMHO.

Now moulin rouge I really liked :D

what would scooby do 30 January 2004 11:09 AM

It's crapper than a show-winning crap at a crap competition.

Yeah it's fantasy etc etc... but when they are fighting with swords that bend like something out of a school panto for 5 year olds it's a bit silly

civictyper 30 January 2004 11:15 AM

But a 2mm thick, 1m long sword would flex to buggery out of a school panto too I'm sure ;)

Henrik 30 January 2004 11:22 AM

I actually thought it was really good. Saw it in the cinemas when it came out, but got really annoyed with fookin people with no imagination beeing embarrassed about it and laughing in all the wrong places, so had to get it on DVD as well just to make sure I could see it again in peace.

If you have a lot of imagination and can take, like someone said, the artsy side and accept that it's just part of a (good) story, then it's really, really good. Otherwise, no.

Note; maybe my taste is not exactly mainstream, e.g. I really really liked Battle Royale :)

InvisibleMan 30 January 2004 11:46 AM

if you accept that its traditional Chinese folkfore that has been around for centries then its good & quite moving if you understand their way of thinking, most chinese films have a strong moral story.

Having said that the wirework as done on the matrix who is one of the top fight choreographers in chinese film, this wasnt one of his best, other older chinese kung-fu films have been much better

andrewdelvard 30 January 2004 11:49 AM

Worked for me, thought it was a brilliant movie, full of great moments and the storyline kept you guessing. In my top 10 best ever.

andrewdelvard 30 January 2004 11:55 AM

e.g. I really really liked Battle Royale
Amazing movie.Amazing.

Muffleman 30 January 2004 02:21 PM

Blimey ! This movie splits the audience !!!

I really thought it was cool. Great to look at, good story and reasonable fighting - bearing in mind it is FANTASY.

Now 'The Blade' is an awesome film if you like your martial arts with weapons on chains ;) VERY cool.

Matt

InvisibleMan 30 January 2004 02:55 PM

you should see the 'a man called hero/the storm riders/the duel' trilogy. They all have super powers like lightening bolts out of their palms :D its all real btw they really can do it ;):D

Nimbus 30 January 2004 03:00 PM

Well, I went into the shop today and....

bought a 3-pack of sarnis, Cheese and Onion crips, KikKat Chunky (King Size) and a Sunny-D (because I like to live dangerously from time to time)...

I still can't decide... :)

InvisibleMan 30 January 2004 03:04 PM

btw is it in the white or brown cover?

if its white it just the english dubbed version

if brown its in its orginal cantonese/subtitles & english dubbed

popeye 30 January 2004 05:46 PM

Been a while since I watched it, but I seem to remember thinking it was excellent. As has been pointed out, it's based more around Chinese folklore, and I would imagine anyone who turned it off after 30 mins or whatever had probably sat down expecting a Jackie Chan style teeth-kicking jamboree.