ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Crouching Tiger - Hidden Dragon. Any good? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/297042-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-any-good.html)

Nimbus 29 January 2004 11:10 AM

It's in the loacal Big-W for £6. Is it worth getting? I think I saw a review on TV sometime ago and it looked OK, but not really too sure what it's actually like...

IWatkins 29 January 2004 11:13 AM

Great film.

Bit of a love story thing happening, but doesn't detract from it really. Very well filmed and the fight scenes are very special.

For £6 you can't go wrong.

Cheers

Ian

Nimbus 29 January 2004 11:19 AM

Tell me one thing... Is this like Monkey..?

Luke C 29 January 2004 11:23 AM

No its not like monkey-the fight scenes are pretty spectacular! Actually yes it is!!! The dubbing is awful!!! :)

Mogsi 29 January 2004 11:24 AM

Well worth watching, the fight scenes are superb...

A worthwhile addition to anybodys DVD collection, especially for only £6...

Gridlock Mikey 29 January 2004 11:25 AM

Absolute bag of spanners :( The first fight scene is good because of the novelty factor and is well filmed, not bothered really about folk flying through trees whilst having a scrap, for half an hour :eek:

Just my opinion mind ;)

Mikey :cool: <You did ask :D >

OllyK 29 January 2004 11:25 AM

It is "mythical" rather than reality unless the Samurai really can fly and I don't know about it!

If you are in to the kung fu type films then it is a good way to spend a couple of hours, if not then it is probably a waste of money.

Scumbag 29 January 2004 11:25 AM

Sort of reasonable story line, but the fight scenes are just pathetic....far more unrealistic than monkey, and superman combined!!!! Cleverly done, I suppose, but utterly ludicrous...one of those things where my suspension of disbelief kept getting shattered by thinking "impossible, I wonder how they did that one?"
Due to this I was massively disappointed when I watched it.

Buzzer 29 January 2004 11:28 AM

Nimbus

Simple "it's fookin sh1te" mate

Luke C 29 January 2004 11:29 AM

Quite a believable story actually............if you take LSD!:)

Nimbus 29 January 2004 11:56 AM

LOL. Rather mixed reviews there then...

Luke C 29 January 2004 12:00 PM

Buy it mate, look at it this way, if you like it.......Good! if not............its only six quid! :)

Brendan Hughes 29 January 2004 12:01 PM

Described as "martial arthouse", which is pretty good.

Fight scenes can be great.

Wirework (more flying round than Matrix 2+3) can be annoying.

Love story can be either.

Not an easy film to rate. But I'd say if you can't handle anything more intellectual than Hollywood's usual blockbusters, you'll hate it, too arty. If you can manage the "art" side, go for it.

Hobo_Jojo 29 January 2004 12:03 PM

its a good film if you like kung fu films :) thats all you need to know

if you want some proper old school kung fu bizarre hilarity the get yaself a copy of "the evil cult" with jet li, bloody hilarious :D and only about £4 from most places :D

MJW 29 January 2004 12:06 PM

I bought it after hearing good reports about it, but it sucked IMO. And I can normally watch any old crap.
If you're into a bit of chop socky wait till Kill Bill comes out next month.

EvilKyote 29 January 2004 12:06 PM

Yeah it's a great film!

Deffinitly worth getting at £6, plus it has Zhang Ziyi in it

<drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool>

:D

Dave P 29 January 2004 12:08 PM

Bought the DVD ages ago, not got round to watching it.

But you can't beat a bit of Monkey Magic!!!

Bravo2zero_sps 29 January 2004 12:38 PM

Biggest pile of sh!te I have ever seen, turned it off after 30 minutes of absolute drivel with people flying through the air non stop.

I like martial arts films such as Jet Li films where the action is at least believable and wasn't expecting this load of b0ll0x when I started watching it - its just people flying! I was hoping it would get better but after 30 minutes I couldn't watch anymore, it was horrendously cr@p.

drumsterphil 29 January 2004 01:04 PM

Truly amazing film - one for the deep-thinkers to a certain degree. If you're expecting a non-stop fight movie then you will be disappointed.

As above, for £6 take a chance!

Hobo_Jojo 29 January 2004 01:05 PM

"I like martial arts films such as Jet Li films where the action is at least believable and wasn't expecting this load of b0ll0x "

you obviously havnt watched his early films? as i mentioned with "the evil cult" where jet li flies over a big battle shooting fireballs from his hands? :D

Geddon 29 January 2004 01:08 PM

get it:)

Bravo2zero_sps 29 January 2004 01:34 PM

Hobo no I never watched his early stuff (i'm no great fan just if a film is on with him in it I'd start watching it) and if I saw a film with him in it where he did that load of tosh I'd turn that off as well :D

Hobo_Jojo 29 January 2004 01:46 PM

youd turn it off?! even with such great characters as "king of green bat"? some chinese guy in a green bat costume with a black durly english style moustache?

:D

Bravo2zero_sps 29 January 2004 01:49 PM

LOL sounds more like comedy that martial arts :D

Hobo_Jojo 29 January 2004 01:55 PM

it is :D its hilarious! theres a guy chained to a big stone ball who rolls about, and a magic sword thrown in for good measure. jet li at his finest :p

J4CKO 29 January 2004 07:30 PM

Got half way through and turned it off,nearly as annoting as the Matrix Reloaded,

Jerome 29 January 2004 08:08 PM

One of the worst films I have ever seen. I was actually annoyed once it had ended for being so crap.

Almost as bad as Moulin Rouge or anything with Dustbin Hoffman.

J4CKO 29 January 2004 09:21 PM

Moulin Rouge, now that was a steaming load of sh1t, apart from the Kylie-fairy.

MJW 30 January 2004 12:32 AM

Moulin Rouge was one of the very few films I've actually switched off halfway through because it was so bad. Even the missus agreed. I'd rather have my eyes gouged out and replaced with hot toffee apples than watch it all the way through. Funnily enough Baz Luhrmann's other pathetic offering Romeo & Juliet was switched off halfway too ..

Back on topic, Crouching Tiger isn't worth the DVD rack space let alone six quid. If you really must see it borrow it !

Scott Herts 30 January 2004 12:44 AM

or download it if you have broadband!! cause these people are right, it is bollox....i sat through it trying to keep my eyes open just so i could say that i saw it!!

lucky i wasnt high up somewhere might have jumped!!