ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   I think my Hard disc is gonna die (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/296472-i-think-my-hard-disc-is-gonna-die.html)

ALi-B 28 January 2004 12:02 AM

Just now sitting at the desk, PC on Scoobynet - of course ;)

When I hear this rather sick sounding rattling noise commming from the PC.

I ignore it thinking perhaps one of the fans are on their way out...when it get worse, and then I hear one of my hard discs ( I have 2) clunk on and off - you know the noise they make when the heads dismount when you turn off the PC, well one did that.

It span back up, quietened down, and is now working ok....very odd :confused:

Anyone every had a hard disc go down in this way, I'm kinda worried and wonder if I should start backing up everything?

I would do a surface check, but you know how long they take ;)

darlodge 28 January 2004 07:58 AM

Backup up everything on that disc asap. I had one go recently. Hard Disks are dirt cheap, its not worth the hassle.

Darren

what would scooby do 28 January 2004 08:36 AM

Hard Disks are dirt cheap
Ok, I'll swap you a pound of mud for a 120GB SATA - thanks :D

Yeah anytime a hard disk makes an unusual sound I tend to replace it immediately - then use it as a second HD for keeping an on-line backup etc.

suba 28 January 2004 08:47 AM

check your BIOS an HDD support S.M.A.R.T. you might wanna goto your HDD manufcturer website and look for their HDD utility to check out your HDD health.

ALi-B 28 January 2004 10:46 AM

My problem is I haven't a clue which one the two did the noise.

Cheers, I'll have a look at the websites.

I do have SMART enabled, but I've never really checked any reporting tools.

ALi-B 28 January 2004 11:07 AM

Oh dear :(

One drive is VERY sick

I'm backing up my important stuff to both hard disks, if one goes it's still on the other. It's alot quicker than digging out a load of CD-R's

But at the moment it's making very odd clicking noises and playing quiet little computer like (think of a old modem trying to connect to the net - that's the noise it's making :eek:)

I'm Not sure if it'll make it through this backup. :(

I have a feeling it's my Drive "D" as that is slightly older - just over 2 years and it did start life out running in a busy office 12/7 (maybe even 24/7). At least the OS should still run ok if it dies.

Fist time I've had this happen, hell, it was only 2months back we through out an old UNIX system based on a 486 DX2 66. Which ran everyday without failure. (don't ask why it was still used ;))

ALi-B 28 January 2004 11:36 AM

LOL...I feel really stupid...I just realised that my speakers were turned right up and they were picking up the hard disc activity :o.

Still, it's not right...just not quite as dead on it's feet as I thought :D