ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   FAO those who live in Maidstone (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/293872-fao-those-who-live-in-maidstone.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 21 January 2004 12:21 PM

Just after a bit of advice really. Been looking at properties on the internet in the area and want to know why is the Tovil Green area so much cheaper than other parts, especially the 'tail race'?

Have seen what looks a reasonably nice 3 bed house on the 'tail race' but am suspicious as to why its the price it is? I also notice this area is very close to the river Medway so are these houses on the flood plain/prone to flooding?

There must be a bad reason why all the properties I have seen in this area are so much cheaper than equivalent size houses in other parts of Maidstone?

Scooby96 21 January 2004 12:26 PM

Wouldnt live in Tovil if you paid me.

Try looking towards Sutton Vallence, Headcorn (MLS) or even Biddenden at a push (5 miles from Headcorn)

Whats your budget B20?

Bravo2zero_sps 21 January 2004 12:33 PM

Scoob96 I know Sutton Valence very well as I went to school there unfortunately but i'm after areas close to the M20 and good rail links. Looking at around £170k. I am still looking at TWells and surroundiong areas but I can't find anything but cr@p to be honest in that price bracket and must have a garage and 3 beds. Hence looking over at Maidstone area. Looked at Ashford but means being 40 mins drive from my son and is too far out for my liking.

What is your reasoning for your feelings towards Tovil area? Is it a mini crime wave and drug dealers etc?

Scooby96 21 January 2004 12:48 PM

Have a look at proviser.com and it will give you price trends for town / post code areas, av. price / price increase for previous 12 months:

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/scooby9625489983058.bmp

I think fish4homes also have environmental / crime etc etc statistics for a given area too.

DJ Dunk 21 January 2004 12:52 PM

Tovil is possibly the worst area in Maidstone :D

SideShowBob 21 January 2004 12:52 PM

Hi Bravo
If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Ill have a word with a few peeps I work with when I get back in work this weekend, as they have a lot more experience and info on Maidstone areas, and let you know what they think.

I rent in the town centre, but also looked at a couple places in Vinters Way, and that didnt look too bad, so may be worth seeing what property prices are like there.

Also worth speaking to someone like Coles & Co in Maidstone, or other agents, and ask them for honest opinions about the different areas.

Scooby96 21 January 2004 12:57 PM

Have a look at your-move.co.uk

Property ref 526/579/187

(In Lenham)

Semi Detached House
Front And Rear Gardens
Three Bedrooms
Garage And Driveway
Lounge/Dining Room
Kitchen
Popular Location

£175,000

P1_BEN 21 January 2004 01:15 PM

I was looking around the maidstone area to and thought exactly the same thing... Have ended up going for Kings hill although it was quite expensive and for the same could of had a 4 bed detached house in the tovil area.... rather than a 3 bed flat...

Bravo2zero_sps 21 January 2004 01:15 PM

Thanks guys, I thought that may be the case hence me posting the question.

Cheers 96, just looking it up now.

Scooby96 21 January 2004 01:18 PM

There's also Snodland - not my cup of tea but a mate of mine has just bought 3 bedroom eot for £105k

Personally if you can handle the 40 min journey for your kid B20 then I'd plump for Ashford - but again be careful of the area.

If its a toss up between Ashford and Maidstone then I'd opt for Maidstone as there are less asylum seekers around ATM/AFAIK!

Scooby96 21 January 2004 01:22 PM

Or Crowborough:

3 bedroom house (your-move.co.uk) property ref 526/590/782 - although the garage is in a "compound"

£172,950

[Edited by Scooby96 - 1/21/2004 1:22:58 PM]

Bravo2zero_sps 21 January 2004 01:30 PM

Scooby96 thats the problem, the garage has to be attached with the scoob and R1 I can't afford to leave them elsewhere plus insurance would be a killer!

I have found some well nice properties in Ashford and the rail link and motorway access is good. But I don't like being so far from my son, makes it particularly difficult picking him up on fridays nights when I dont get home till 8.30ish when its my weekend with him.

Plus with W69 working in Twells all in all I need to stay in the twells area or the twells side of Maidstone.

Just isnt happening though at the moment, can't find didly squat worth looking at plus not getting many views on mine, market is dead and gonna have to wait till easter I think :(

Scooby96 21 January 2004 01:35 PM

Who is yours on with?

Scooby96 21 January 2004 01:37 PM

I'm selling my 3 bed mid terrace for £164k in Crowborough - no garage but you can park the bike round the back and the car opposite. My insurance on bike and scoob only increased by about £18 cos they werent garaged

Bravo2zero_sps 21 January 2004 01:44 PM

I'm selling through Ward and Partners and also Your Move.

Cheers but i'm after a semi at minimum really. All the ones I liked round Greenway area have gone. They got snapped up pretty quickly which is a right pain in the neck cos its forcing their prices up :rolleyes:

Scooby96 21 January 2004 01:50 PM

Post the ad ref for your-move and I'll tell you what I think!

Philip Attaway 21 January 2004 01:52 PM

I am originally from Maidstone.

I always thought of Tovil as the pikey side of town with it's own crime wave. Afterall the dump is ther for a reason ;)

Try the other side of town.

My parents are now in Penenden heath. Nice green/woods for kids and dogs etc and very close to the motorway J7.

Also Vinters or Bearsted have nice houses.

Phil (The one who got away ;))

Bravo2zero_sps 21 January 2004 02:01 PM

LOL no chance 96, don't want all of scoobynet knowing my address and for any unreputable browsers of scoobynet knowing where to find a scooby and an R1 sitting nicely together!

Scooby96 21 January 2004 02:15 PM

good point

DJ Dunk 21 January 2004 03:31 PM

Also Vinters or Bearsted have nice houses
Agreed. Bearstead is very nice . . . but you do pay for it.
West Malling is also worth considering, can highly recommend The Swan :D

Bravo2zero_sps 21 January 2004 03:43 PM

Yeah thats the problem, can't afford those places as they are much higher priced properties.

Will have to start buying lottery tickets again!

Mice-Elf 21 January 2004 03:45 PM

Used to work in West Malling....very briefly. There was nothing about and the job was very dull...so left to work in Germany for a bit. :D

P1_BEN 21 January 2004 04:30 PM

Ditto on The Swan... Hey MiceElf... I'm working in germany and hopefully buying a house in west malling... AlthoughWest Malling also seems quite expensive compared to Maidstone....??

How about larkfield, forget the name though... Friend used to live there seemed quite nice...

SideShowBob 21 January 2004 06:52 PM

I work in West Malling currently (Kings Hill), nice place.

Swan is pretty cool, West Malling seems to be taking of a bit as a place to go out, may be worth looking towards outskirts of WM for a place, as its on the up, and often surrounding areas begin to become more sought after.
Borough Green isnt too bad, may be a little too far out for what you're after, but M20 is close...

akshay67 21 January 2004 06:57 PM

My advice would be to get a property in 'developing areas' - i.e. places of attraction for hard-working immigrants.

Stay away from council estates.