ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Tuning options on a (1991) UK Legacy? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/293479-tuning-options-on-a-1991-uk-legacy.html)

Andy Tang 20 January 2004 12:30 PM

Just a few of basic questions that I can answer about Imprezas but not a clue with Legacys!!

What size are the injectors?
Are they the same shape as the ones for a phase 1 fuel rail?
Are early Impreza tuning bits compatible? (Filter, exhaust, etc)
Do interiors, wheels, brakes, etc from later cars (Imprezas) fit?

Can the chargecooler be replaced with a FMIC? (although I've asked for more details on another thread)

No I haven't bought a new car, just looking at options!! ;)

Andy Tang 20 January 2004 01:49 PM

What sort of turbo does it have as standard?

Would a TD-05 with a straight entry conversion work? (Assuming that the inlet pipe would need to be changed as well)

ollo 20 January 2004 03:42 PM

As much as I know:
>What size are the injectors?
380cc

>Are they the same shape as the ones for a phase 1 fuel rail?
Should be same shape as Impreza 93-96, if that's any help.

>Are early Impreza tuning bits compatible? (Filter, exhaust, etc)
Filter yes, exhaust - a bit longer and some hangers in different place, but it can be made to fit quite easily.

>Do interiors, wheels, brakes, etc from later cars (Imprezas) fit?
Interior - don't know, looks different. Wheels, brakes - same as 93-96 Impreza. Suspension bushes and struts also fit, although upper spring seats may be different. Complete struts (with springs & all) fit anyway.

>Can the chargecooler be replaced with a FMIC? (although I've >asked for more details on another thread)
Of course, although I'm not sure if Impreza ones will drop straight in without mods.

>Stock turbo?
IHI VF-12 on mine, should be the same on most of them. TD turbo fits, but as with 93-96 Impreza, you need to raise the inlet manifold or use 97- manifold for front entry pipe. It's also possible to use 90 degree inlet elbow and stock inlet ducting.

Andy Tang 20 January 2004 04:00 PM

ollo,

Thanks for the information. It gives me some more ideas! ;)

Cheers
Andy

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 20 January 2004 09:35 PM

Turbo is usually IHI VF12 Pushed at around 1 bar, but will run happily at that.

Injectors etc are as impreza. Apart from the exhaust, which is slightly different as described, if it bolts onto an impreza, it will bolt onto a legacy. Front pipe is a straight swap.

Same applies for suspension, brakes etc.

Front seats are a direct swap too ( use legacy seat belt clip ) and rear seats can also be made to fit, although not perfectly, but enough that it looks ok.

As for IC's The legacy chargecooler is supposed to be pretty good. An uprated water rad for it may be a good idea. an FMIC can be made to fit, although the front end of a Legacy is slghtly different to an impreza.

They are a performance bargain, although a bit heavier than an impreza.

And at TOTB2, apart from Andy F's car, a Legacy smoked all the other Imprezas :D

David_Wallis 20 January 2004 09:49 PM

yeah it pis ton every one :D

AndrewC 20 January 2004 11:11 PM

The Black Legacy was one of the coolest cars at TOTB2, suprised a lot of people, not sure about the nutter with the V8 Granada though!

Andrew...

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 21 January 2004 01:46 AM

Oh ha ha David...very witty :D It did PIS TON everyone...lol

Your car was a scorcher that day too :O

tweenierob 21 January 2004 09:53 AM

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies!!

R.