ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   AP Racing brakes and tyre size help needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/289638-ap-racing-brakes-and-tyre-size-help-needed.html)

Pitzi 10 January 2004 08:16 AM

I would appreciate any input on the following problems.
My car(MY00 Classic shape Jap spec Impreza STi) will be used for track/hillclimb competitions

I am considering fitting a set of AP Racing 4-pot
I have the following problems, the car was bought with 17" OZ Superlggera`s plus I have a spare set of OZ P1 wheels. So the logical thing would be to get a set of 17" slicks, the problem is that the only slicks available in South Africa in the 17" size are 225/45/17`s, will this tyre size fit a classic shape Impreza??

My alternative is to get a set of OE 16" wheels and use the set of 205/50/16 slicks that I already have, but ehre is where the brake problems come into play. The 330mm AP Racing brakes will not fit with the 16" wheels, am I correct?? I have seen that there are 305mm AP Racing kits that are sold to fit the 16" OE wheels, are these any good??

Please I need some advice ASAP before I make any stupid decisions :)

Regards
Gerardo

Pitzi 10 January 2004 05:52 PM

Ok, ignore the tyre question, I will not be fitting 225/45`s as they require too many mods.

Can anyone advice with the brake question??

Hoppy 10 January 2004 06:00 PM

17in slicks are notoriously hard to find, but there are some trackday tyres available - basically cut slicks to make them road legal. Dunlop, Khumo, Michelin I think (Yoko?) though availablity is a different thing. You quote 225/45x17 which suggests you are not looking at a true slick anyway. Slicks are specc'd with their rolling diameter in mm, not the aspect ratio as a % of width. You need something like 210/605x17.

225 will probably be too wide at the back, even with the optimum off-set wheels which is 52mm so your P1 wheels will give you best clearance. Your other OZ wheels are 48mm off-set I think which will almost certainly rub.

You might get lucky with some tyres, in which case stick them on the P1 rims. But a spare set of 16in Subaru rims (off-set 53mm - don't go below 50mm to be sure of not rubbing) is the easiest route. Don't worry about fitting the AP 4-pot brake kit under them as they will still stop a train. I used to have them and did a lot of track days. Awesome. I've now got 6-pots under 17s but only because I got a mega-deal - the guy I sold the 16in kit to was doing 100-0 in 3.8 secs, as I recall, as many times as he still had the strength to hold on. That is very violent stopping indeed :eek:

Cheers,

Richard.

PS Edited to add crossed post. You've done the right thing with the 225 tyres :D

[Edited by Hoppy - 1/10/2004 6:03:53 PM]

Pitzi 10 January 2004 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input mate!! :)

So the 305mm AP`s are just as good then??

Hoppy 10 January 2004 09:43 PM

No, in theory they are not. But at Donington, the hardest circuit on brakes in the UK, my 305mm discs had enough leverage to trip the ABS at 120mph on a dry track. And they would do it lap after lap which is the real test. I have wrecked two sets of discs there, one set of standard and another pair of Group N replacements. Warped and cracked so that you could see daylight through them. Utterly useless. The APs just took it all and kept on going.

Obviously, the bigger 17in kit and-pot calipers are better. More metal for head-soak, bigger pads and I get a lighter pedal which makes me thnk I can do trail braking which, frankly, ends in a spin as often as not :D What I'm saying is that the 16in kit is better than I am, and that my fabulous 6-pots are just overkill unless you are very talented and race at a high and serious level.

Best,

Richard.