ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Leaking boot! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/289510-leaking-boot.html)

Aztec Performance Ltd 09 January 2004 06:50 PM

Have discovered lots of water in my boot today:(

The only thing I have changed recently is the rear lights...I re-used the gunky stuff from the original lights so this could well be the problem.

Whats the best thing to seal them up?

Regards,

Bob

Andy H STi 09 January 2004 06:56 PM

I have got the same problem!

What cluster have you got?

I have got the LED "Skyline" style ones.

Andy

Aztec Performance Ltd 09 January 2004 07:08 PM

I've got stock STi ones.

PICKLE 09 January 2004 07:34 PM

Yep, had the same problem when fitting my STI lights! Clean the black stuff off, and use clear silicone sealant. Leave for 5 mins then refit the lights. Leave to dry in a garage if possible!
No probs since

Bee 09 January 2004 07:39 PM

Dito, had exactly the same prob. Gave them a good heathly goin over with silicone and all is well.

Until my soiler started to let water in that is! :rolleyes:

- Bee

[Edited by Bee - 1/9/2004 7:40:41 PM]

kickflip668 09 January 2004 07:49 PM

had the same problem on my old classic before i traded it in. luckily i traded it in in the summer!!
hope you sort it.

Aztec Performance Ltd 10 January 2004 10:12 PM

just bought some clear silcon sealant from halfords. Its says permanent and flexible!?!

I hope it comes off when I need it to.

Waiting for a dry day now before going to work on it

dnb 10 January 2004 11:44 PM

Put the sealant stuff on both the light and the car metalwork. That way, you're sure of a seal first time.

It took 2 attempts to get mine right.

Aztec Performance Ltd 10 January 2004 11:55 PM

dnd:

thanks mate. Will do

scoobimax 12 January 2004 02:21 PM

Had a similar problem which I thought I'd cured by re-sealing the lights but am getting heavy condensation build up in the boot again. Anyone know where the *soiler* is that Bee mentions above?

Thanks.

Max

PICKLE 12 January 2004 03:50 PM

Its usually bolted to the boot lid, unless someone has nicked it ;)
It's a typo, should be spoiler LOL :rolleyes:

Paulo P 12 January 2004 04:10 PM

I have the same problem with my sisters classic but I had to change a rear light but I have also changed the rear spoiler and had to remove the boot because I dropped a nut inside the bootlid so I'm not sure where it's coming from :(

scoobimax 13 January 2004 01:05 PM

And there's me thinking there was some sort of waste pipe attached?

Even sounds like an American after-market toilet mod!!!! lol

spyr0 13 January 2004 01:42 PM

****Top Tip****
Silicone the bodywork but put neat washing up liquid on the cluster.
when the silicone dries you can release the cluster cos it wont stick to the silicone - but is a perfect fit.
dont forget to wash the washing up liquid off or you might foam up your fave road.
:P

Canuck 13 January 2004 05:43 PM

Well, the boot on my P1 is leaking badly and to my knowledge (second-hand owner) the rear light cluster has never been changed.

Is this another problem that someone has an answer for, before I take it to thedealer to take me for everything I've got?

scoobimax 14 January 2004 12:18 AM

canuck - I'd try the seal round the lights first coz I think it goes off (hardens) and thus cracks, breaking the seal.

Not much else can fail unless had accident damage in rear not properly repaired.

Max

Canuck 14 January 2004 05:52 PM

I had wondered whether the problem might be the seal around the boot lid? The car is just 3 yrs old - would the seal around the light cluster fail that quickly???

God, ya gotta love these Scoobs to own 'em, eh?

[Edited by Canuck - 1/14/2004 5:52:36 PM]

Aztec Performance Ltd 15 January 2004 06:34 PM

C:

Haven't sorted mine yet as one tube of silicon (from halfords) ain't enough for 2 light clusters.

Have a look in your 1/4panels where the vent duct are located...make sure they aren't blocked.

Otherwise best method could be to get somebody to pour water on the boot (with the lid closed!) while you look from inside the boot (with a torch) to see where the leak is.