ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   EBC Red Stuff pads - any good for road use? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/289407-ebc-red-stuff-pads-any-good-for-road-use.html)

ScoobyDoo555 09 January 2004 02:38 PM

Looking at some new pads for my MY99 (4 pots) - got standard discs.

Are Red Stuff pads any good for day to day road use?

Cheers,

Dan

burnsatspeed 09 January 2004 06:11 PM

Mate I've got a 99 turbo and I have used the red stuff pads for 6 months now.
When they are warmed up they are excellent but if you let them cool down watch out they are useless for tatting about round town.
I'm just waiting for Godspeeds to send my DS2500.s

ScoobyDoo555 09 January 2004 06:18 PM

Thanks - I think I'll look at others then...

Green Stuff or Ferodo?

Dan

Fatman 11 January 2004 02:44 PM

I use Redstuff myself. Agree - they're excellent once warmed up. However, I disagree that they're useless when cold. Their 'cold' bite is good enough for sensible town driving, and they warm up quickly anyway.

vmax 12 January 2004 10:28 PM

You MUST run these pads in properly for them to be effective. No late braking

Mike Stokes 13 January 2004 03:26 PM

Dan,

Don't get the red stuff whatever you do, I had a set on mine and they were dreadful for road use, as well as ruining the wheels. Pretty crap on track as well IIRC. Same goes for the greens, they might as well be made of cheese. For a smidge more cash I can probably get you the Pagids I ran in my car, give us a shout if you want me to.

Mike.

Fatman 13 January 2004 04:19 PM

Mike, do you recall whether the Redstuff pads you used were the old formulation or one of the two new ones? I can only assume you're talking about the old formulation, since your observations/experiences seem totally different to what I've found.

The new ones were introduced summer '03. I used Pagid 'black' (4-2-1) before I put the Redstuff pads on . I've found the EBCs to provide more stopping power than the Pagids, and I also think they produce less dust. Maybe it's the same amount? I don't know - but it's red, not black so the end result is that the wheels look cleaner for longer.

Having now used both Pagid 'black' and also EBCs Redstuff - I'll definitely be buying EBC next time.

ScoobyDoo555 13 January 2004 04:48 PM

Mike,

yhm :)

Dan

Mike Stokes 13 January 2004 05:04 PM

Fatman

They were the old ones, after changing to Pagids I never looked back, I guess you get comfy with the pads you know work. If they've changed then fine, I wasn't aware of that but they needed to IMO.

I also used both the Pagid RS 421's (blacks) then swapped to the RS42's (blues) for both road and track use. The blues are superior to the blacks IME, think I used 4 or 5 sets of them eventually.

Dan

YHM back !

Mike

[Edited by Mike Stokes - 1/13/2004 5:07:32 PM]

vmax 13 January 2004 09:25 PM

I found them OK for road use, Maybe not the best but better than standard

RLE 14 January 2004 05:27 PM

Agree with Mike-Red Stuff and Green Stuff were crap. May have been the old formula but I still wouldn't be full of confidence using the new pads. Guess firts impressions last.

Went to Godspeed for the Mintex and plan to replace soon with Ferodo's.

carl 14 January 2004 05:48 PM

Agreed -- I tried the Greens (horrible) and the reds (worse). Probably the old compounds. The reds took 1200 miles to bed in, then they only lasted another 3k or so! When I had the reds I had my only experience of pushing the brake pedal as hard as it would go and the car not appearing to slow down :eek:

Changed to Pagid RS42s (Blue) and they were great right out of the box. I was pretty happy with Mintex 1155s too, but they left nasty rusty metallic bits all over the sides of the car.

iain atkins 14 January 2004 06:23 PM

Dan & others

I can vouch for both now :)

The new formulation greens are much improved, and again with the new formulation reds as well :)

There is a new 'red ceramic' part no DP31200C which are excellent.

I will mail you offline.

Cheers

Iain

currymonster 14 January 2004 11:52 PM

can you email me with details of the new reds too please? Ta , cal