ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Member's Gallery (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/)
-   -   TypeR -> VX220 Turbo (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/288468-typer-vx220-turbo.html)

Gedi 07 January 2004 10:43 AM

Sadly, my Subaru ownership is about to come to an end.
The Subaru is the wrong type of car for me to own at present and it needs to go.
btw, this means that there will be a Sonic Blue STI5 TypeR V-Limited up for sale very soon.

Anyway, i'm going for a test drive in a VX220 Turbo this weekend, I'll let you know my thoughts on the car.

What do you think of them, here's a pictures I can't decide on a colour. What are your opinions????

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gedmurphy/car/blue.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gedmurphy/car/sil.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gedmurphy/car/yel.jpg

All opinions welcome as I am finding it hard to choose one.

[Edited by Gedi - 1/7/2004 7:00:06 PM]

Gedi 07 January 2004 10:47 AM

damn, forgot geocities is blocked.
Can anyone host the picture please, ftp is blocked here, thus I can't upload it to a better host.

Thanks

subsy 07 January 2004 06:59 PM

Nice car

[Edited by subsy - 1/7/2004 7:01:37 PM]

Gedi 07 January 2004 07:01 PM

Hi subsy, I just got home now and changed the location.

Thanks for helping though :)

Tim-Grove 07 January 2004 07:03 PM

Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Nice motor:)

Dave R 07 January 2004 07:04 PM

You've gone and caught a severe case of 'gay'!

ADP 07 January 2004 08:18 PM

fast fast car, very well rated, get some steinmetz grills and get rid of the vauxhall badges - RWD real drivers car requires skill, rather than 4X4 no brain understeer Impreza ;) :D

[Edited by ADP - 1/7/2004 8:18:32 PM]

Gedi 07 January 2004 08:23 PM

badge will be the first thing to go.
I quite like the Opal badge though on the silver car. Looks much better than the Griffin and the big 'V'

Rikki 95WRX 07 January 2004 08:29 PM

Please post or let me know how you get on as i am thinking about one myself.

They have had very good reviews as you are probably aware.

I am not a bug fan of silver but the vx220 does look nice in this

Rik (you can email me at rikkiola@netscape.net if you want to share your thoughts on test drive)

DaveBlueRA 08 January 2004 02:50 AM

New job as a hairdresser by any chance :)

MooseRacer 08 January 2004 03:07 AM

Why change the badge - if you're that worried about it being a Vauxhall, don't buy it.

Great cars, look best in darker colours imo.

D6ale 08 January 2004 07:45 AM

good cars! go and buy clarksons latest dvd! it's his No 1 car on there and there is a good demonstration as to why it is better than the elise!

then kick the grill in ( get rid of the stupid V and anything else that states its a vauxhall

and have fun !

StickyMicky 08 January 2004 07:57 AM

ffs there not hairdresers cars!

hairdressers dont run factory striped out turbo`d beasts

Old_Fart 08 January 2004 08:29 AM

Trust you've had a good dig around at www.vx220.org.uk ?
They look great little cars. You should get minimum of 10% off list from a dealer for a new one. Have you seen the grey colour they come in? Otherwise I'd have to recommend silver as , although I don't like it, it is the most popular colour and will help resale...and you *will* need help come resale time as the market for these is very very small :(
I've thought about one long and hard, my biggest gripe is the quality of my local dealers...the best seems to be the guys in Milton Keynes(Crownhill)...which is just too far for me to travel...lots of small niggly things can (and often do) go wrong it seems...so dealer support is pretty important IMHO.
Rgds
Cman

Gedi 08 January 2004 12:39 PM

Now a member of the forums :)

Not seen any colours in the flesh yet.

Popularity may be set to rise with the turbo model, especially at the price.
I belive they are also dropping the N/A model, so the turbo will be the only version.

Gav 08 January 2004 02:20 PM

Gedi, YHM mate:)

gav..

ADP 08 January 2004 04:57 PM

why do people think that a car with no roof is automatically a hairdressers car?? rather be a hairdresser than a maxxer

churchwa 08 January 2004 05:02 PM

All i can say is do your research, there are massive discounts to be had on them. Drive the deal will give you £2300 off and there is much more to be had. I saw one with 150 miles on the clock for £20k and that was a turbo. If you can avoid the initial hit on deprication then it is well worth it.

DaveBlueRA 08 January 2004 05:08 PM

rather be a hairdresser than a maxxer
Which means?

7 Foot 08 January 2004 05:30 PM

Nice to see the 2 Daves have graced us with their well rounded opinions:rolleyes:. How a car with no creature comforts, designed completely for 'the thrill of driving' can be described as gay is beyond me.

A mate of mine has a NA 220 in Europa blue. Bought it from Crownhill in Milton Keynes during the summer.
I agree with Old Fart; it's had a few niggles that have meant taking it back to the dealer but these have been sorted quickly with no fuss.

It does look great in silver but Europa blue is my fave.

It can't keep up with my modded MY00 but is just so much more rewarding to drive. Massive fun!!

Gedi 08 January 2004 06:18 PM

Some good comments (apart from the hairdresser/gay ones...hehe. Wonder if Caterhams and Ferraris fall into the same category?)
Must admit, it would be fun watching some of the hairdressers at some of my local salons trying to get into one. esspecially with a short skirt on. Would be a bit worried about them losing control though

7 foot, I have been in an Elise, as that was a car I was considering before I bought my TypeR.....It was amaxing....as I expect the NA VX is, but it just didn't have enough grunt to put a smile on my face down the straight roads.

The VX Turbo brings it into a whole different leauge though. If driven well, it should be just as fast as my TypeR, and a hell of a lot more fun.

[Edited by Gedi - 1/8/2004 6:20:20 PM]

TopBanana 08 January 2004 09:59 PM

Ignore the comments, this is a proper drivers car!

Blue definately. The chrome contrasts nicely with it

7 Foot 08 January 2004 09:59 PM

Funnily enough I test drove an S2 Elise and wasn't that impressed with it. This was last winter, on wet, unfamiliar roads, so I was hardly ringing its neck but the VX felt quicker and impressed me more. The fact that I knew the roads, and the owner, the roof was down and the sun blazing probably played a part but how big a part I'm not sure.

I have a few days off next week with no real plans - I think I might go tell a few salesmen some porkies and have a giggle using their petrol. ;)

Gedi 11 January 2004 06:11 PM

Made a choice on colour now :)

Beautiful car
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gedmurp.../vx_theone.jpg

Its not the turbo'd version I'm after, but the colour scheme is perfect and will be choice I make. The beige seats finish it off nicely.

7 Foot 12 January 2004 11:28 AM

That's the colour, Europa blue IIRC.

As Old Fart said there is a grey colour now. I've not seen it but my friend has and even he says it looks better than his blue one.

Either way it's a great car.

John P 12 January 2004 01:26 PM

WOW, if it looks like the picture above rather than the first page pictures then I say go for it.
It looks more TVRish than a vauxhall

M.Hilder 12 January 2004 10:51 PM

How odd, I'm coming the other way.
Did have a VX, now getting a WRX, got fed up with the VX falling apart. Did you know that Lotus build them with chewing gum and bits of string...

The guys on www.vx220.org.uk are a bloody good bunch and I really hope enjoy owning one, I did for the 10 weeks I had it.

Martin