ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Outsourcing helpdesks to India (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/288464-outsourcing-helpdesks-to-india.html)

druddle 07 January 2004 10:36 AM

I know lots of companies are doing it now, but something i read on Silicon.com made me think. What about data protection ? Are the people in India subject to the UK Data Protection Act ??? I dont think they will be, so does that make all our personal and financial data insecure ?

Dave

Brendan Hughes 07 January 2004 10:48 AM

I don't see why helpdesks are a new legal problem. You've been dealing with multinational companies for years. Aren't they under the same constraints?

J S W 07 January 2004 10:53 AM

I think that is a very good point druddle and clarification on this from someone would be useful.

druddle 07 January 2004 11:03 AM

Article from silicon.com

Dave

Alec 07 January 2004 11:16 AM

On some of the small print you sign (or don't) it does state something about data being taken out of the uk and therfore not covered by data protection act.

Alec

The Zohan 07 January 2004 11:20 AM

On some of the small print you sign (or don't) it does state something about data being taken out of the uk and therfore not covered by data protection act.

Ouch!!!!!!!

will follow this thead with interest

Alec 07 January 2004 11:27 AM

Paul,
I just remember reading someting on some small print somewhere about this.

Alec

[Edited by Alec - 1/7/2004 2:06:57 PM]

DAC 07 January 2004 02:02 PM

and what about accounts/policies you have had in force for years - which have always been dealt with in UK.

anything you've signed should be honoured - and if they can't then the handling shouldn't be done by overseas/Indian departments.

Crapaud62 07 January 2004 04:22 PM

I think you will find that India has a similar Data Protection Law. I used to work in Compliance and I know for example Jersey had to bring in the legislation to be allowed to share data with UK. As far as I know it is an international obligation for countries to have this protection in place to allow the free exchange of data between the various countries. I'm certain it applies within the EU and 90% sure about India.

chiark 07 January 2004 04:50 PM

Eighth data protection principle:
“Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.”

If you want to know more - see here (pdf doc)

Cheers,
Nick.

Ian Griffiths 07 January 2004 07:57 PM

Its illegal to export data that isn't adequately protected when it arrives. I'd assume a similar law existed in India, otherwise the UK end of things would get in to trouble.

[Edited by Ian Griffiths - 1/7/2004 7:58:41 PM]