ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Tyre wear - problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/287572-tyre-wear-problem.html)

redwrx 05 January 2004 09:25 AM

Car is my93wrx

Just changed the tyres all round,the front two, the tyre wear was even all over...

the back two...frightening.!! The outer edges had 3mm of tread left, the insides on both, were slick, and one had a touch of white showing. I check the tyres regularly, but only been checking the outsides..of course, they looked fine. It drives fine also....will hold a straight line.

Anybody any ideas what could cause such extreme type wear on both 'insides' of the rear tyres.

Cheers

Frank

edited to add, ....im running standard 16" wheels, on original set up suspension...no mods.

[Edited by redwrx - 1/5/2004 9:26:41 AM]

John WRX 07 January 2004 05:12 PM

up

eddie h 07 January 2004 06:39 PM

have you had the 4 wheel alignment checked recently?

jaf01uk 08 January 2004 06:05 PM

Is there a possibility that they might have been rotated with the fronts at some point to keep the wear even front to back?

ZIPPY 09 January 2004 09:37 AM

Frank,the rear wheels can be alligned for camber and this is what is probably wrong,give me an e-mail and i will give you the details of a guy i use who works for Supertracker and he will get it sorted,he worked on my car for 2 hours sorting my allignment out (Front/Rear) which 3 garages including Subaru said was fine.

Car handles great and no more uneven tyre wear.

fastistheonlyway 13 January 2004 05:15 PM

hiya,

ive got a similar problem but my front tyres are completely bald on inside and got 4mm on outside.

does anyone have the correct camber settings for the front as my garage doesnt seem to know although they had enough brains to recommend I check this site out?

cheers
phil

Eddoe 13 January 2004 08:46 PM

I have the same problem phil, my fronts are wearing on the insides????

Impret-Sir 14 January 2004 03:19 PM

Just adding my two pence worth, my fronts are bald on the inside edges too, still ots of meat in the middle and the outside.

STi wanna Subaru 14 January 2004 04:37 PM

The classic impreza does tend to wear out the inside edges before the outsides.

Eddoe 14 January 2004 07:41 PM

Would a geometry set up cure this???

Or as above is it just an issue with classics?

STi wanna Subaru 15 January 2004 10:17 AM

It's not an issue as such. It's just the way the cars are set-up. A different type of car may wear the outer edges quicker. I think the AWD does exagerate the wear though.

sooby 15 January 2004 11:11 AM

My front tyres wore on the inside first.

I had my car checked by a couple of palces with laser alignment including Powerstation. All of them said the alignment was almost perfect and not worth bothering to alter.

It takes some effort to check them not like on the outside!