ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/)
-   -   Cheap New WRX ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/286974-cheap-new-wrx.html)

G TOMO 02 January 2004 10:49 PM

I am about to buy a NEW 03 WRX
I have seen one at Motorpoint Derby for £16,699
It's an import from MALTA, and has 12 months warrenty

Is this a good price ?, or.....
Dose anyone know if I could get one cheaper ?

PS.. Must be WR Blue
Thax for your help.

jason4656 03 January 2004 06:35 PM

i beleive motor point have a bad reputation amongst scooby owners, imho if you are buying an import, get a euro one if you want uk car with uk warranty at cheaper price, if you dont mind about warranty go for a jdm car, better spec and better car, shoudl still get 12 months or more from a decent company not sure on prices i never bothered with wrx only stis

rotty 04 January 2004 01:44 AM

I would go for a UK car , £18,500 should be achievable

[Edited by rotty - 1/4/2004 1:45:01 AM]

Rasher 04 January 2004 10:56 AM

yep as above mate

G TOMO 04 January 2004 11:41 AM

"i beleive motor point have a bad reputation amongst scooby owners,"

jason4656
Any more info ...I.e Wot reasons e.c.t ?

Rotty

£18500 ? where was that from, I don't mind traveling !

TonyBurns 04 January 2004 12:06 PM

Motorpoint get alot of their cars from non-eu sources (ie malta/cyprus) and these will not be covered by a subaru backed warranty (nor the dealer network in the uk).
Id go to a uk dealer and haggle a lot, you get more vfm and a 3year comprehensive warranty and service facilities.

Tony:D

SimonD 04 January 2004 12:26 PM

The other issue with non EU cars is that Prodrive won't touch them - or at least this is what the guys at Motorpoint told me.

If you wish to get any Prodrive stuff through official channels this is worth bearing in mind.

Tony MY03WRX 04 January 2004 12:42 PM

Try Here ;)
WRX from £17.295

Tony

DerbyWRX 05 January 2004 08:29 PM

I bought a WRX from Motorpoint in Derby about a month ago and have been very pleased. Things you should note - you need to pay for 3 years warranty, Thatcham Alarm etc. I ended up spending £19k but have got the full spec including 3 years warranty, lifetime membership for Tracker Monitor, tyre cover, mica paint and Sureguard protection inside and out. Also, local dealer a bit arsey re servicing - did my first one @1000 miles and charged £140. They say that if anything goes wrong with ECU they can't fix it as their computer won't recognise a Malta/Cyprus car.

Having said this, I don't think I could have got a new Scooby within two days for this price from a dealer.

rotty 05 January 2004 11:06 PM

G TOMO

I was basing my estimate on the 7.5% discount that I just got on a STi ( others have had the same ) , this was at Beechdale in Derby and Lucas in Mansfield

G TOMO 07 January 2004 10:14 PM

Thanx for all of the advice, this was my first post as a scooby member and i was pleasently suprised by the amount of help from everyone.

I will be going to Litchfield Imports soon to place my order.

Looking forward to the many questions i will have, being answerd just as well......

Thax again to everyone G TOMO

wakeboardar 08 January 2004 10:02 AM

19k for an malta import

has the import now become more expensive than a uk car?

my o my how the tide has turned remember the days when you could save 5 or 6 grand by importing seems like only yesterday

TonyBurns 09 January 2004 03:01 PM

You could have got a brand new MY03/04 wrx for 19k (uk car) if you speak kindly enough to a uk dealer (and a considerably better warranty than what you get at motorpoint) plus a dealer network that will deal with your car without any problems..... oh well...

Tony

bluenosewrx 09 January 2004 05:23 PM

i was one of the many that took advantage of the strong pound a couple of years ago and got my MY02 with full warranty from belgium for £16,000.
no probs so far and servicing is done no bother too.
litchfield imports or well lane are the places to go.all the best and welcome to scoobynet.bluenosewrx

SCOOBYG 12 January 2004 07:00 AM

Try Carfile. www.carfile.net

ZIPPY 13 January 2004 08:36 AM

£19k from Motorpoint 'OHH MY GOD' talk about a trousers down moment.I bet the salesman laughed all the way to the bank with his commission.
As Tony has said with £19k you could have bought a brand new UK car from the dealers with all you have bought as extras as standard.
I wouldnt fancy claiming anything major on your Motorpoint 3 year warranty but if your happy with the deal then so be it.
Enjoy your new car.

Zippy

andrewdelvard 13 January 2004 08:47 AM

???
He hasn't bought a car from motorpoint. He's going to place an order with Litchfields.

Edited to say aaaaahhhh....Thanks chiark.

[Edited by andrewdelvard - 1/13/2004 10:26:09 AM]

chiark 13 January 2004 09:28 AM

Andrew, he hasn't but DerbyWRX has..

I bought a WRX from Motorpoint in Derby

I ended up paying £19k
Ouch. Anyhow, welcome to scoobynet DerbyWRX. The last welcome you want is to know that you could possibly have got a better deal, but it appears that that is what yours is. Don't worry about it, enjoy the car, and enjoy scoobynet :D

G TOMO 13 January 2004 09:26 PM

I hear that Malta are going to be part of the EU from March the 1st, dose anyone know for shure ?

G TOMO 14 January 2004 10:53 PM

Sorry !
Did I confusse everyonr ?
I mean, if Malta are going into the EU then would DerbyWRX's car be coverd by full Subaru Warranty ?

G TOMO 16 January 2004 11:29 PM

BTTT

chiark 17 January 2004 12:14 PM

Probably not, as I can't see it being retrospectively applied. The car was supplied from outside of the EU. End of story.

G TOMO 17 January 2004 12:24 PM

Tanx chiark

and wot about Malta coming into the EU from 1st March.....dose anyone know?