ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Steve Irwin: Loony. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/286840-steve-irwin-loony.html)

V45DSM 02 January 2004 04:29 PM

Just seen him on Sky news feeding a huge croc with his 1 month old nipper under his arm, then 'walked' the baby by the pool. Makes Wacko Jacko look like St Nicholas!

They'll bum him for this!

http://entertainment.news.com.au/com...,312128,00.jpg

Full Story

[Edited by V45DSM - 1/2/2004 4:32:43 PM]

RichWalk 02 January 2004 04:36 PM

God help the poor kid if it mis-behaves!!

lightning101 02 January 2004 05:46 PM

The croc belongs to him, its a pet - same as the killer dog breeds, people still have kids in the same house, even when their not watching over them. Don't see any problem with this - would let him do it with my kid (teenager though LOL).

carl 02 January 2004 05:49 PM

The guy has trained with crocs for over 30 years. I saw a programme about him rescuing some captive crocs in East Timor the other day -- I kept saying to the kids "That bloke is a nutter". Particularly when -- unable to restrain the croc's jaws adequately -- he gets into the pool with it and sits on its back.

He's certainly an expert in what he does. His wife appears with him in one of his series. I wonder how many times he's been injured?

Compare and contrast this to Wacko Jacko, who certainly has no expertise in dangling human beings from great heights :rolleyes:

Markus 02 January 2004 05:55 PM

He's mad, but he does know what he is doing. He'd not have the kid there if he did not know it would be safe.

As for Terri, his wife, she's as mad as he is! lol.

Katana 02 January 2004 06:08 PM

If thats really his son, the croc is in more danger than the kid is..

Markus 02 January 2004 06:15 PM

pmsl! very ture, I *think* that is is second kid too. I know Terri recently had another nipper.

All I can say is, the kids will have one hell of a childhood!

School will be fun:
sorry miss, the croc ate my homework :D :D

[Edited by Markus - 1/2/2004 6:15:56 PM]

Scooby96 02 January 2004 06:20 PM

Looks like a doll - shouldnt he be holding a 1 month old differently than that????!

andypugh2000 02 January 2004 06:25 PM

The guy is a true professional and knows exactly how the croc is behaving and what he "might do next" he is in no more danger than me or you crossing a road :D you have to admire him though ;)

supertouring 02 January 2004 06:32 PM

He is in no danger whatsoever - at worst he could throw the baby in the opposite direction to distract the croc while he runs the other way! Simple.

V45DSM 02 January 2004 07:34 PM

Y'all obviously haven't seen the footage then.

ajm 02 January 2004 07:45 PM

Just saw it and he looked perfectly in control of the situation to me. Steveo had his eyes fixed on the croc the whole time and his body between it and his kid. All this castigation is nanny over-reaction. The kid is lucky to be getting such rich and stimulating environment to grow up in!

Now if he had been doing his trick with the shades and a spitting cobra that would have been a different matter! ;)

[Edited by ajm - 1/2/2004 7:45:42 PM]

V45DSM 02 January 2004 07:50 PM

It's hardly how you would hold a 1 month old sprog though is it, and when he bounced it around the pool, fcuking hell come on! What if he'd slipped?

Tiggs 02 January 2004 08:52 PM

anyone see the footage where steves mate (who also has loads of experience) get a chuck bitten out of his arse!

dba 02 January 2004 09:11 PM

I watched a shark programme last week,in which an expert wanted to prove that Tiger sharks dont attack humans if you keep still............he came out of the water with his leg gone,and very gruesome it was too.

I like Steve Irwin,but i'm not sure this was a good idea

ajm 02 January 2004 09:20 PM

The problem with sharks is that they have much more of a manoevrability advantage over man in the water than a croc does over man on land.

The bloke who had a chunk taken out of him was in the crocodile's kill zone and was purposefully trying to envoke its reflex.

Both men were pushing their luck, but you will see in the footage that Irwin was keeping outside the perimeter of reach the whole time. I don't think they will be able to find an expert who claims to know anything about crocodiles that will testify against him, the man knows his stuff!

As an aside though I love the footage where a python bites into Steves arm whilst he is holding it and then starts twisting its teeth in deeper.

His unflinching response, as blood is dripping out of his arm?....

"oooh she's a bit grumpy!"

pure class! :D

scunnered 02 January 2004 10:11 PM

What Steve Irwin does with crocs, snakes and other animals is nothing short of amazing, but it's all show business. Another Australian called Bob Bredl is the master when it comes to dealing with these very predictable animals. Bredl demonstrates that crocs act purely on instinct, and that this instinctive reaction is very predictable. I saw him get into the water and swim with a 14ft croc after explaining how it could be done.
I admire Steve Irwin, but he's just performing for entertainment purposes, whereas Bredl is the real thing.

skiddus_markus 03 January 2004 08:27 AM

He may be an expert on crocs but why take even the smallest risk with your own child?What purpose does having the baby in there with him serve other than to get publicity?
People make mistakes-I've seen him slip on his show and one of the big crocs go for him,could just as easily of happened then.

Little Miss WRX 03 January 2004 11:43 AM

Regardless of whether that was a pet, it is a crocodile and is a wild animal. It could turn around and become dangerous. If it wasn't dangerous then why was Steve not cuddling it. :rolleyes:

It is splashed all over the news over here and he is taking a shed load of flack for it.

It is his son, so up to him what he does with him, but personally I wouldn't have had a kid in the same area as one of those beasties.

Gus M 03 January 2004 12:19 PM

Surely it's a publicity stunt poorly thought out. One slip and the consequences could have been tragic.

Jye 03 January 2004 12:30 PM

at worst he could throw the baby in the opposite direction to distract the croc while he runs the other way! Simple.

I didn’t know babies bounced that well when 'thrown'. A simple shake could kill or injure a child of that age, and the way the baby was dangling it's neck was not supported very well, again if he had to move or jump back quickly then the child’s neck/spine could have easily been injured.

If I saw anyone holding a child like that, with or without a dangerous animal near by, I’d be pretty shocked.

All very unnecessary IMO.

Luke 04 January 2004 08:00 PM

Guy on the day was a Wankur..... Just wants to promote himself. Hope they throw the book at him. His ego should not include a baby.

V45DSM 04 January 2004 09:31 PM

It is his son, so up to him what he does with him.
Hmmmmmmmm... Maybe in Cambodia.

[Edited by V45DSM - 1/4/2004 9:45:09 PM]