ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Induction Kit (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/28569-induction-kit.html)

MDavenport 01 March 2001 02:59 PM

I have a 98MY Terzo which currently has a HKS Super Power Flow Induction kit fitted, however I get some very strange noises:-

1. I get a fluttering / chattering noise when I let of the throttle at about 3-4k rpm. This a lot louder at 5-6k rpm and sound's rough.

2. I also get a noise similar to blowing over a bottle top when balancing the throttle (i.e. neither accelerating nor decelerating)???

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Graham Goode Induction kit (I am thing of changing to this one... that is if it doesn't sound as rough as the HKS!!!!).

Thanks
Mark

Jacko 02 March 2001 08:08 AM

I own a GGR induction kit (ouch! the price) and are extremely happy with it!
All induction kits are going to make a lot more noise but the from the others I have heard, GGR is probably the quietest. MAC Power also do a similar kit I believe. GGR use a trumpet shape inlet and K&N Cone filter arrangement rather than just an orifice hole (i.e. other manufactures). It's this combination that makes them quieter and more expensive due to the trumpets manufacture.
If you don't like obtrusive noise, enjoy a smooth pickup and pleasant whooshing dumping sound and can afford it, GO for the GGR!

NDT 02 March 2001 10:44 AM

the 'blowing over the bottletop' noise was mentioned in Car magazine last year on their long term test Impreza.....but I can't remember what the fault was.....one of the bypass valves or something.
Doubt it's a major problem.
(famous last words)

Nick

[This message has been edited by NDT (edited 02 March 2001).]

Andy Tang 02 March 2001 03:19 PM

The bottletop noise is a faulty blow off valve.

This is taken from the <B>SIDC FAQ</B>

Bob Rawle 03 March 2001 09:46 AM

HKS also has a "trumpet" shape to smooth air flow.

The issue is definately your dump valve which needs replacing with either another oem unit or an uprated one.

Any induction/suction kit will, however, allow more of the air noise to be heard as the "baffle" of the standard airbox is now no longer there, Unfortunately more airflow equals more air noise. This is normal behaviour given.

Bob

MDavenport 05 March 2001 08:29 AM

Thanks...

This only seems to have happened since fitting the HKS kit? Could this be just a coinsidence?

The kit was fitted by Oly Clarke of Roger Motor sport so I am pretty convident that it was fitted correctly, however I did have a few parts left over after the system was fitted. One of these was a silver tube (almost like a trumpet). This has two thin metal pipes coming out of the side. This piece wouldn't fit onto the car so they adapted it to fit and this bit was left over.

I asked Oly and Graham Goode if these noises were correct - to which they replied it is chatter from the waste gate.

Thanks
Mark.

Stef 05 March 2001 03:52 PM

Save yourself some money and go for the standard K&N Induction kit. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif
GGR were unable to give me a reasonable explanation why their 'bespoke' K&N was worth three times the price of K&N's own.

Stef.

Mac's Power 07 March 2001 01:47 AM

As mentioned earlier we sell a kit similar to GGR. It's an STI trumpet with a K&N Cone. Much larger than the standard K&N. Air flow is greatly increased and smoothed due to the trumpet and therefor it protects your MAF sensor. We give a MAF sensor guarantee with our kit.

Paul.

MDavenport 07 March 2001 08:07 AM

Paul,

How much is your kit - for a MY98 UK Terzo?
How much to fit?
Where are you based?

Thanks
Mark.

Mo 07 March 2001 01:45 PM

Mark,

check you dumpvalve out with a known worker before replacing it or the HKS kit. I have the HKS induction kit on my car which makes the same type of <I>'blowingoverthetopofabottlekindofnoise'</I> and there is nothing wrong with anything. I cant remember the term for this noise but it will be there with this kit.

Mr Footlong 09 March 2001 08:20 PM

Mark,
I never got a reply either from Paul when I asked. Paul, come on m8! a price would be appreciated... If it is good, then you will get business! Reply to Mark and I by email, if you are not happy with putting the price up here. Pleeeeaase.

Cheers

Nick http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/wink.gif

Stef 10 March 2001 03:56 PM

It's not as cheap as K&N's own, but less than GGR's. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/smile.gif

Stef.

Mac's Power 10 March 2001 05:48 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm way ahead of you on this one. Mark had a e-mail from me a few days ago. Was I also to reply to you? If so my apologies as I was out of action for a while last 2 weeks.

Cost of the kit is considerably more than the standard K&N but gives much better performance and we guarantee against MAF failure. It is most successful on MY99 and MY00 cars but is available for earlier models too. I find that for the 98 the 57i kit is fine and pre 97 benefit most from the HKS Super Powerflow. We can also supply any of the above and normally have a stock.

I don't normally post prices on this forum as I dont believe it's for direct advertising but for anyone that wants to know it is £295 Irish Punts.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

David Blows 10 March 2001 05:50 PM

Always interesting to hear the experiences of others. I've got the GGR induction kit on my MY99. 30K later and it's fine (touch wood, fingers crossed etc etc).

And it's not been cleaned. Didn't know if it needed cleaning. No instructions came with the kit. Certainly *looks* clean... but that's the dumb-ass non-technical approach.

Just had it's 30K service and suggested the dealer give it a blast with an airline. Don't know if they did - or should have.

Any of you knowledgeable guys able to give me definitive advice? To clean or not to clean?

Thanks

Mr Footlong 11 March 2001 11:22 AM

Thanks paul.

Nick

Jacko 12 March 2001 12:14 AM

David Blows,
the K&N filter should be cleaned depending upon the colouration of the filter. If it is no longer a nice red colour, then clean it!
K&N do a cleaning kit, which comprises of some cleaning solution and some oil to spray back on with.
You shouldn't use airlines on these filters as you can possibly damage the elements. The oil captures the dust etc on the outside of the filter so just a simple clean, dry and re-oil is required. I believe you can purchase the K&N cleaner kit at GGR and possibly even Halfords...Hope this Helps...

David Blows 12 March 2001 07:29 PM

Thanks Jacko.