ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Bob Monkhouse (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/285516-bob-monkhouse.html)

TelBoy 29 December 2003 07:44 AM

RIP.

A true great, imo. Immaculate timing, very professional, very entertaining.

WRX Wannabe 29 December 2003 08:00 AM

R.I.P

:(

Brun 29 December 2003 08:08 AM

David Lock 29 December 2003 09:04 AM

Sad day. Didn't like him at first but then realised what a pro he was. Just heard this quote on beeb. Aware that not everyone appreciated his sense of humour he once said "when I said I was going to be a comedian everyone laughed - well they're not laughing now :D". RIP

StickyMicky 29 December 2003 09:16 AM

:eek: didnt relise he was dead :eek:
what happend?

FlightMan 29 December 2003 09:25 AM

Once did a Xmas do at my wifes work. Did a 1 hour act and personalised it to the Company, Toshiba, and some of the staff. He'd spoken to a few people before hand to get names and a few little stories about them, then weeved it all into his act.
Top man, and a true professional.

R.I.P Mr Monkhouse.

Brun 29 December 2003 09:29 AM

Cancer happend :(

paulr 29 December 2003 09:34 AM

Too smarmy.

STi-Frenchie 29 December 2003 09:46 AM

Saw him at a company do many years ago. Have to admit I wasn't looking forward to the show but I got a real surprise. He had the audience in stitches and his jokes were certainly not pulling any punches. A completely different man live on stage without the cameras rolling. RIP.

Dazzler 29 December 2003 09:49 AM

I used to think he was cheesy, but the more I heard the man, especially in interviews, the more I thought he was a talented fella!

R.I.P.

M J B 29 December 2003 10:15 AM

V45DSM 29 December 2003 10:39 AM

He had a good innings and wanted for nothing. His death is no more tragic than anyone else’s. Save your sympathy for those that struggle all their lives and then die young.

TelBoy 29 December 2003 10:51 AM

Except Bob Monkhouse might just have been the person to have put a smile on those people's faces at one time or another and reduced their suffering just a little.

Sympathy for the deceased doesn't *have* to be reserved for the under-privileged.

Jye 29 December 2003 11:03 AM

Apparently he drank like a fish - two bottles of wine and half a bottle of malt whisky a day. I'll be quite happy if I make 75 with my similar drinking habit anyhow.

Chip 29 December 2003 11:52 AM

The man was an absolute star in my opinion.

Chip.

Leslie 29 December 2003 11:57 AM

No way he can be called smarmy. He was a very talented entertainer and could put his hand to anything in that cause. Also extremely witty.

I will miss him and he is a great loss.

Les :(

Hammy Hamster 29 December 2003 01:28 PM

He was a true professional.

Rest in peace Bob.

PG 29 December 2003 01:45 PM

Shame :(

Markus 29 December 2003 02:32 PM

Happened to have Bob MC an awards do I was at, very funny. Also, I remember him on Have I Got News For You, was making some joke about the french hiding in cellers, very funny.

Did not always like all of the stuff he did, but he was good.

Simon Lau 29 December 2003 02:47 PM

it's very sad :( ...RIP

andypugh2000 29 December 2003 02:57 PM

A true professional seen him live and he takes some beating, sad loss, wonder who will get the wig though? :(

Allan 29 December 2003 08:04 PM

One of the best live acts I have ever seen, a sad loss.

Allan

Sbradley 29 December 2003 08:30 PM

Met him at the BBC when I was working there.

Lovely man, utterly genuine and bloody funny to boot. One of the quickest minded comedians ever, and a sad loss.

SB

mj 29 December 2003 08:40 PM

I heard this on the radio today, and for 10 seconds I got him mixed up with Bob Mortimer, and for that 10 seconds I was a little bit shocked.

When I put a name to the face , it was more of a case of, nice bloke,shagged orange women, never that funny anyway, but still a shame ( as he was a nice bloke ).

People are dying all the time.

Chip 29 December 2003 09:48 PM

Monkhouse's memorable quips

The late Bob Monkhouse, who has died at the age of 75, had a huge catalogue of gags and one-liners that he could call upon for any situation.

Here is a sample of some of his one-liners:

"I got my start in silent radio."

"The last time I was in Spain I got through six Jeffrey Archer novels. I must remember to take enough toilet paper next time."

"Personally, I don't think there's intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?"

"My wife's see-through nightie is now bi-focal."

"Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional."

"If you don't go to other peoples funerals, they won't go to yours."

"A miniature village in Bournemouth caught fire and the flames could be seen nearly three feet away."

"I swam in the dead sea when it was only critically ill."

"My father only hit me once - but he used a Volvo."

"They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now."

"What's a geriatric? A German footballer scoring three goals."

"I tend to sleep in the nude. Which isn't a bad thing except for maybe on those long flights."

"I remember when safe sex was a padded headboard."

"Real happiness is when you marry a girl for love and find out later she has money."

"I'm not saying my wife's a bad cook, but she uses a smoke alarm as a timer."

"My mother tried to kill me when I was a baby. She denied it. She said she thought the plastic bag would keep me fresh."

Chip.

shug 29 December 2003 11:39 PM

Bob on repeat of Room 101 with Nick Hancock om BBC2 now

shug 29 December 2003 11:52 PM

Bob on Room 101

The hokey cokey - u put your left foot in , u put your left foot out, and that's what it's all about.
If I die and go to Heaven and say "what was all that about - and they say - the hokey cokey"

V45DSM 30 December 2003 09:38 AM

"My mother tried to kill me when I was a baby. She denied it. She said she thought the plastic bag would keep me fresh."
Ha ha ha....ahhhhhh Infanticide. I bet all those who've had there kids snuffed out by some Munchausen syndrome by proxy suffering loon will be pissing themselves as well.

TelBoy 30 December 2003 09:56 AM

V45DSM, is this a personal crusade against Mr Monkhouse, or do you really have no sense of humour at all?

V45DSM 30 December 2003 10:13 AM

Bit of both really.